Best Area to Stay in London with Family?
Pretend to be Posh between Notting Hill and Paddington!
If you were to ask me what’s the best area to stay in London with family, I’d definitely suggest on the Bayswater Road side of Hyde Park. It’s so pretty, with row, upon row, upon row of grand Victorian townhouses here – so much so, my heart was captivated in a moment. But the best bit – this area puts you and the family within walking distance to LOTS of places you’ll want to go.
Here’s a quick list off the top of my head:
- Princess Diana Memorial Playground (less than 5 -10 minutes walk away, depending on your hotel or accommodation)
- Portobello Market
- Kensington Palace & Kensington Gardens
- Science Museum
- Natural History Museum
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- Royal Albert Hall
- Harrods (so many fun things for kids to do and see here)
- Buckingham Palace
Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments
On our last trip to London, we found this place. The Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments are situated within a block of Victorian townhouses on Princes Square. We found this place on www.booking.com and it was so super reasonable, I did wonder if it was a dud?
But let me tell you, if you are a family on a budget, this is the perfect stop for a week’s residence smack bang in the centre of London. My heart leapt when I saw the building for the first time – we were booked to stay in a fancy Victorian terrace! Oh my, how posh!
The elegance of the foyer area continued this theme. Friendly staff had us checked in and on our way to our room in minutes.
But the facade faded a little here… Inside, the layout is higgledy-piggledy, a rabbit warren, like the terraces have been cut into pieces to house as many rooms as possible. We found ourselves in lifts, opening and shutting doors as we walked through common areas, stepping up and down into corridors, walking on wonky uneven mismatched carpeted floors, (pram in tow) and then peeking around corners in this maze of corridors to determine if we were right this time? Had we found our room?
Negotiating the route to our room left me exhausted but the kids thought the journey there was fabulous. (Oh, how fun it is for little guys to run the corridors while waiting for mum and the pram to catch up. Sorry, fellow guests!) Just be sure to know your way to the closest exit.
Our room though, was quite heavenly to an Anglophile (a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain). With a view of a classic picturesque street, black cabs motoring up and down, and the Victorian terrace apartments across the road mirroring back to me, we were obviously in England. And I couldn’t have been happier with all those traditional English icons proving it so.
Super clean, with a proper modern home-like bathroom, carpeted floors, and classic furnishings, our room felt more like a B’n’B room in someone’s home than a hotel room.
My boys and I shared the bed, but there are family rooms available for those with bigger kids or more people in tow.
Our best family-friendly reason for staying?
It’s the best area to stay in London with family. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is everything. There’s nothing better than being close to the centre of the action that you don’t have to catch public transport. Walking is the way we like to explore, and see things, and this place and this area of London gives you the freedom that families want and need. There’s convenience stores, restaurants, shops, a bowling alley, chemists and supermarkets at the end of the road (and all around this area) and green spaces with bench seats (à la Notting Hill with Julia Roberts) in between for those essential rest stops for kids on the go.
The Inside Scoop
- FIC Grand Plaza is the largest Hotel/Apartment complex in Bayswater. They offer the independence and catering flexibility of your own home together with the comfort and service of a 4* hotel. It’s like home but with cleaning, catering, porters and reception staff thrown in. Grand Plaza has an imposing Grade II listed exterior with a modern spacious comfortable interior. It is located on a classic quiet victorian garden square 300 yards from Queensway and the famous Whiteley’s shopping centre.
- Breakfast is an optional extra. We suggest trying Pret a Manger just down the road for pastries and bakery yummies. (Cheese and Onion pasties. It’s THE thing you must eat at some point.)
- Book direct with the hotel here.
- Compare prices on Booking.com, Trip Advisor, Expedia, Hotels, Agoda etc. to find the best rate. Anything less than $150 AUD per night is a winner.
HOT TIP: Be sure to clear the cache and refresh your browser between searches to find the best price without those sites catching you out by retaining knowledge of your previous search history and price-guides!
- These short-term apartment lets are a 4-minute walk from Bayswater tube station, 7 minutes from Hyde Park and 16 minutes from Paddington station with the Heathrow Express train to the airport too.
- The A40 is 5 minute drive away offering access to the M25 ring road, the M1 Motorway and beyond.
- Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station. The Train runs approxinately every 15mins between 5:30am to 23:30pm and the jopurney takes around 15mins. From Paddington Station you can either get a taxi to the Hotel (it takes about 5 to 7 minutes) or take the underground 1 stop and get off at Bayswater Station.
- Take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station. The trains run approximately every 15min between 4:30am to 1:30am and the journey takes 35mins. From Victoria Station take the Circle Line Undergound to Bayswater Station.
Location and Map
- Address: 42 Princes Square, London W2 4AD.
- FREE Wi-Fi Connections in all apartments
- Tea & Coffee facilities
- FREE daily Newspaper in the Lobby
- 24 Hours Receptions & Lifts
- Breakfast Room with Food & Beverage Machine
- Laundry Service Facilities – One wash and dry of a load plus washing tablet costs £6. BONUS- Pay for one load and get another one free!
- Maid Service with changed of Linen & Towels
- All apartments are protected by CCTV.
- Thinking about a family trip to London? Then visit here to find ALL the family-friendly info you’ll need on ground transportation, places to stay, where to eat, and SUPER DOOPER fun things to do in this fabulous city!
Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
No playgrounds or pools on site, but the Princess Diana Memorial Playground is minutes away! This really is best area to stay in London with family.
Family Travel Ideas with Roam the Gnome
We love to share the SUPER FUN kid-friendly stuff we find around the world, so you can go there too!