Free Activities for Kids Gold Coast – Navigate the obstacle track on your Bike without stopping or falling off!
Looking for something different for your kids? If you have your bikes with you, then this Bicycle Track Obstacle Course must be on your list of things to do.
The essential insider info
Located on the waterfront opposite Australia Fair Shopping Centre, this obstacle course bicycle track is one of a kind on the Goldie. The kids will need their own bikes – sadly, there’s no hire facility – but if you do have your bikes with you, Roam the Gnome and the boys would say “Go now!”
Southport Broadwater Parklands Precinct
The best thing about this bicycle track is that it is located within the huge expanse of the Broadwater Parklands precinct at Southport. When you’ve finished with the bike track, there’s heaps of other free stuff to do too.
- Water play playground “The Rockpools” (at the Southport Swimming Pool end, next to the main carpark)
- Giant Jumping Pillow
- Enclosed saltwater swimming area with lifeguards
- “Monorail Bikes” playground with a Zipline swing too between the Bike Track and the Jumping Pillow
- Rotating pedal swing and other balancing equipment in a small playground on the right hand side of the Jumping Pillow
Plus, there’s always something happening at Southport Broadwater Parklands, particularly on weekends. Monster Truck rides, pedal car rides, Food Truck Feasts, outdoor cinema events, a concert sound stage, and community festivals. Visit here to see what’s coming up!
Did you know?
- Right in front of the Bicycle Track on the water is AquaSplash. Tickets start from $7 per child (5-9 years old) but these guys must be accompanied by a paying adult. 50 minute sessions of clambering over all the inflatable obstacles that float on the Broadwater. MiniSplash (45 minute sessions) for 1 – 4 year olds costs $5 per child. A paying adult ($5) must accompany little ones too. It’s another reason to make a day of this place!
Eat and Drink
- The Rockpool Cafe next to the Rockpools is good if you need food in a hurry. This family friendly cafe serves made-to-order breakfast and lunch, but you can also stop in for coffee and cake. We like the view across to Palazzo Versace and Marina Mirage.
- If you prefer to keep costs low, we suggest bringing your own snacks and drinks in an Esky. There’s an abundance of picnic tables, free BBQ’s, and grassy spots in the shade so you can save your dollars for more non-food fun!
- Both Coles and Woolworths supermarkets can be found across the road in the Australia Fair Shopping Centre, along with a Food Court. Lots of yummy restaurants and cafes across the highway in the Southport precinct too. You won’t starve!
Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
Google map link
The Inside Scoop
- If you are lucky, you might find a spot on the Gold Coast Highway right next to it.
- If not, drive southbound on the Gold Coast Highway past the bike track (you’ll see it) and take the first left you can into the Carpark at the Southern end of the Broadwater Parklands (before the bridge.) It’s paid parking but you can pay with a credit card.
- The main carpark is located next to the Rockpools. Entry opposite Nind Street. You’ll see the big Broadwater Parklands sign. Drive around past the pool until you find the main carpark. Paid parking applies. Credit cards can be used.
- There’s a few toilet blocks throughout the Parklands. To find the closest ones for the Bike Track, head south towards the Sundale bridge. You’ll see a small building in front of the small carpark. There’s two there. There’s also another set of hexagonal shaped toilet booths on the opposite side of the Jumping Pillow (but the wait will be longer!)
Thinking about a trip to the Gold Coast? Here’s a link to find ALL the information you need to know, in one place.