INSIDE: A look at Brooklyn Childrens Museum. Real life snow adventures thwarted our plans to arrive at the Brooklyn Children’s Museum before lunch. But here’s the thing. This is one children’s museum where you can stay all day, and still not be done. We need to go back. The Brooklyn Children’s Museum is, without doubt, […]
Thank you for visiting ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
It's a one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in America with Kids.
Take a look at our collection of ideas for New York for Kids below.
We invite you to read our stories, watch our videos, gather tonnes of useful tips to help plan your family vacation itinerary, and find all the information you need about visiting NEW YORK with Kids.
We guarantee that Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Family Accommodation in New York City
Super Fun Hotels in NYC
- Details coming soon!
Budget Family Hotels in New York
Eating in New York City with Kids
- Kids tired and hungry? Visit Speedy's for a quick takeout meal
- The Top 5 Fun Restaurants for Kids in NYC
- 5 Unbearably Good Sweet Treats You Must Eat in New York
Shopping in New York City
- The Lego Store at Rockefeller Center has a PICK'n'MIX wall!
- Feed your Sweet Tooth at the famous Dylan's Candy Bar, New York
- Buy cool NYC souvenirs at the FDNY Fire Zone attraction
Destination: New York with Kids
Getting around New York City
Must-visit Attractions in New York City
- Do not go to New York without THIS pass
- 9 Super Cool Fun Things to do in Brooklyn Bridge Park with kids
- 7 Fun Things to do at the Brooklyn Bridge for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to the Empire State Building with Kids
- Enjoy Brunch with your American Girl Doll - it's a very American thing to do!
- Visit the Eloise at the Plaza store to see how the other half live
- Should you take the kids to the 911 Memorial Museum in NYC? Here's what we think.
Playgrounds in New York City
- Explore stone forts and tunnels at the popular Heckscher Park Playground in Central Park
- There's an Epic Stone Slippery Dip at Billy Johnson Playground in Central Park - BYO cardboard!
- Climb the Giant Scramble Nets at Rockefeller Park Playground NYC
- Visit Pier 51 Playground - it's one of NYC's Top 25
- There's views for days for at Pier 25 Playground on the Hudson River
- This cool Loose Parts playground in NYC is one of a kind!
- Diana Ross Playground in Central Park is a timber fort adventure!
- Lincoln Playground in Prospect Park has water-spouting frog sculptures
- Hang out with locals at the Rudin Family Playground in Central Park
- We visited Vanderbilt Playground in Brooklyn after it snowed!
NYC Museums for Kids
- The Children's Museum of Manhattan is our NUMBER ONE place to visit in New York with kids
- 6 Epic Reasons to visit Brooklyn Children's Museum with kids
- There's a Marvel Superhero 4D Movie at Madame Tussauds in NY
- Kids can "dig" for bones at the Discovery Room, Museum of Natural History New York
- 4 Fun things to do at Children's Corner in Prospect Park Brooklyn
- Discovery Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden is just for kids
Zoos in New York
Act like a Local
Art & Design in NYC
- Check out super cute statues by Tom Otterness in Battery Park NYC
- There's a Hans Christian Andersen statue in Central Park
- The Stuart Little Movie filmed a famous scene at this cool boat-sailing pond in Central Park
- Roam the Gnome was on KISS CAM in Times Square New York- we have proof!
- Central Park is where you'll find the famous Alice in Wonderland Statue
- The Ten Best Toys you could buy at FAO Schwartz Store in NYC
- Remembering the iconic FAO Schwartz Store in New York
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
We invite you to make a cup of tea or coffee, or pour a glass of your favourite beverage, and enjoy scrolling below...
The Central Park Zoo is a small 6.5-acre zoo located in Central Park in New York City. Our favourite part is the Tisch Children’s Zoo. Visiting was one of those Bucket List moments strangely enough. I’ve longed to visit since I first read the classic Golden Book, “A Visit to The Children’s Zoo” by Barbara […]
Tom Otterness Battery Park City “The Real World” sculpture display. Stumble upon magic on a walk through Rockefeller Park when you find the Tom Otterness Battery Park City sculpture display. Spot the super cute bronze sculptures in all kinds of poses. Take a good look around. They pop up in the strangest spots. Tom Otterness […]
INSIDE: Hudson River Greenway by the Manhattan Waterfront. An unexpected highlight of our trip to New York City was the day we strolled along the Hudson River Greenway walking and bike path from Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, all the way to Pier 51, playing at all the New York City playgrounds along […]
INSIDE: Rockefeller Park Playground is opposite Poet’s House in NYC. Wander along the Hudson River Greenway around the tip of Battery Park and you’ll stumble across the fenced Norman A. Rockefeller Park Playground. Get ready to stop for an hour at least. This playground has a storybook feel, but best of all, a water spouting […]
INSIDE: Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park. Updated 2018. Named as one of Time Out New York Kids 25 Best Playgrounds in New York City, this exciting playground features climbing equipment, slides, water and sand play, and a model boat hull the kids can captain. Best of all, there’s EIGHT SEASONAL WATER FEATURES! Hudson […]
INSIDE: Hudson River Park Pier 25 Playground. 2018. The Hexagonal Scramble Net at the Hudson River Park Pier 25 Playground grabbed our attention as we wandered along the Hudson River Greenway on this very cold New York day. We stopped to play, even though the wind chill factor was high and the kids were freezing. […]
INSIDE: A sneak peek at Imagination Playground New York. With views of the harbour, and on prime Manhattan land at Burling Slip, Imagination Playground New York is surely the world’s most expensive playground! The transformable open space design is perfect to inspire child-directed unstructured free play. There’s a multi-level space with a giant sand pit, […]