INSIDE: A sneak peek into Madame Tussauds New York Grab the kids quick smart. There’s a Marvel Super Hero 4D Experience at Madame Tussauds New York. This modern 4D adventure puts you in the action. This experience combines 3D film vision with thrilling special events – wind, water, and scents – to bring the experience […]
Thank you for visiting ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
It's a one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in America with Kids.
Take a look at our collection of ideas for New York for Kids below.
We invite you to read our stories, watch our videos, gather tonnes of useful tips to help plan your family vacation itinerary, and find all the information you need about visiting NEW YORK with Kids.
We guarantee that Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Family Accommodation in New York City
Super Fun Hotels in NYC
- Details coming soon!
Budget Family Hotels in New York
Eating in New York City with Kids
- Kids tired and hungry? Visit Speedy's for a quick takeout meal
- The Top 5 Fun Restaurants for Kids in NYC
- 5 Unbearably Good Sweet Treats You Must Eat in New York
Shopping in New York City
- The Lego Store at Rockefeller Center has a PICK'n'MIX wall!
- Feed your Sweet Tooth at the famous Dylan's Candy Bar, New York
- Buy cool NYC souvenirs at the FDNY Fire Zone attraction
Destination: New York with Kids
Getting around New York City
Must-visit Attractions in New York City
- Do not go to New York without THIS pass
- 9 Super Cool Fun Things to do in Brooklyn Bridge Park with kids
- 7 Fun Things to do at the Brooklyn Bridge for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to the Empire State Building with Kids
- Enjoy Brunch with your American Girl Doll - it's a very American thing to do!
- Visit the Eloise at the Plaza store to see how the other half live
- Should you take the kids to the 911 Memorial Museum in NYC? Here's what we think.
Playgrounds in New York City
- Explore stone forts and tunnels at the popular Heckscher Park Playground in Central Park
- There's an Epic Stone Slippery Dip at Billy Johnson Playground in Central Park - BYO cardboard!
- Climb the Giant Scramble Nets at Rockefeller Park Playground NYC
- Visit Pier 51 Playground - it's one of NYC's Top 25
- There's views for days for at Pier 25 Playground on the Hudson River
- This cool Loose Parts playground in NYC is one of a kind!
- Diana Ross Playground in Central Park is a timber fort adventure!
- Lincoln Playground in Prospect Park has water-spouting frog sculptures
- Hang out with locals at the Rudin Family Playground in Central Park
- We visited Vanderbilt Playground in Brooklyn after it snowed!
NYC Museums for Kids
- The Children's Museum of Manhattan is our NUMBER ONE place to visit in New York with kids
- 6 Epic Reasons to visit Brooklyn Children's Museum with kids
- There's a Marvel Superhero 4D Movie at Madame Tussauds in NY
- Kids can "dig" for bones at the Discovery Room, Museum of Natural History New York
- 4 Fun things to do at Children's Corner in Prospect Park Brooklyn
- Discovery Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden is just for kids
Zoos in New York
Act like a Local
Art & Design in NYC
- Check out super cute statues by Tom Otterness in Battery Park NYC
- There's a Hans Christian Andersen statue in Central Park
- The Stuart Little Movie filmed a famous scene at this cool boat-sailing pond in Central Park
- Roam the Gnome was on KISS CAM in Times Square New York- we have proof!
- Central Park is where you'll find the famous Alice in Wonderland Statue
- The Ten Best Toys you could buy at FAO Schwartz Store in NYC
- Remembering the iconic FAO Schwartz Store in New York
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
We invite you to make a cup of tea or coffee, or pour a glass of your favourite beverage, and enjoy scrolling below...
INSIDE: The Only Guide on the Empire State Building for Kids. The Empire State Building is up there in the top 10 iconic buildings in New York, and one that gives you a fabulous 360 degree views of Manhattan, New York City and beyond on a sunny day. Travelling to the Empire State Building with […]
INSIDE: Discovery Room Museum of Natural History New York. 2018. Did you know there’s a room dedicated to kids at the American Museum of Natural History? There is! It was the highlight of our visit, with tonnes of hands-on activities for kids to explore natural history in real life. Check it out. The Big-Ticket Must-See […]
LEGO Brick Store Rockefeller Center. Updated 2018). There’s a Quiz Project for kids at the Rockefeller Center Lego Brick Store. Kids have to search the miniature version of the Rockefeller Plaza building, Miniland, and answer questions to show they’ve found hidden figures, Where’s Wally style. If they can find them all (with your help), head […]
Dylan’s Candy Store New York. Updated 2018 Gummy snakes. Tick. Gummy Starfish. Tick. Jumbo Gummy KILLER WHALES??? Yes, this, AND SO MUCH MORE. There’s over 5000 candies and lollies to choose from at Dylan’s Candy Store New York, PLUS a dine-in Candy Cafe with RAINBOW COLOURED CUPCAKE BOOTHS! Dylan’s Candy Bar New York At Dylan’s Candy […]
FDNY Store and FDNY Fire Zone. Updated 2018. The wailing sirens and flashing lights bring the fun of dressing up in a firefighter’s outfit and ‘driving’ the life-size fire truck to life! If the sirens and lights haven’t gone off during your visit, ask the staff to set them off. It’s the highlight of the […]
Childrens Museum of Manhattan. Updated 2018. If you only had one day to explore with the kids in New York, this museum should top your list. It’s not really a museum. It’s more an ode to childhood, a place that caters to every kid’s need to touch, listen, see, sense, and explore to gain an […]
Diana Ross Playground. Updated 2018. This is one of the best Central Park Playgrounds in NYC for adventurers. The centrepiece of the playground is a GIANT SIZED timber fort structure, that has – in my mind – a likeness to the “Giant’s Causeway” natural wonder in Ireland created of hexagonal, lava-forged rocks. It’s the upright […]