Studio Plus New York. Updated 2018. Eight nights smack bang in the centre of New York City was never going to be cheap. But New York is New York, and it was on our list, so we prepared ourselves to compromise. Giving up room space for a cheaper rate. Swapping sought-after locations for more affordability. […]
Thank you for visiting ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
It's a one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in America with Kids.
Take a look at our collection of ideas for New York for Kids below.
We invite you to read our stories, watch our videos, gather tonnes of useful tips to help plan your family vacation itinerary, and find all the information you need about visiting NEW YORK with Kids.
We guarantee that Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Family Accommodation in New York City
Super Fun Hotels in NYC
- Details coming soon!
Budget Family Hotels in New York
Eating in New York City with Kids
- Kids tired and hungry? Visit Speedy's for a quick takeout meal
- The Top 5 Fun Restaurants for Kids in NYC
- 5 Unbearably Good Sweet Treats You Must Eat in New York
Shopping in New York City
- The Lego Store at Rockefeller Center has a PICK'n'MIX wall!
- Feed your Sweet Tooth at the famous Dylan's Candy Bar, New York
- Buy cool NYC souvenirs at the FDNY Fire Zone attraction
Destination: New York with Kids
Getting around New York City
Must-visit Attractions in New York City
- Do not go to New York without THIS pass
- 9 Super Cool Fun Things to do in Brooklyn Bridge Park with kids
- 7 Fun Things to do at the Brooklyn Bridge for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to the Empire State Building with Kids
- Enjoy Brunch with your American Girl Doll - it's a very American thing to do!
- Visit the Eloise at the Plaza store to see how the other half live
- Should you take the kids to the 911 Memorial Museum in NYC? Here's what we think.
Playgrounds in New York City
- Explore stone forts and tunnels at the popular Heckscher Park Playground in Central Park
- There's an Epic Stone Slippery Dip at Billy Johnson Playground in Central Park - BYO cardboard!
- Climb the Giant Scramble Nets at Rockefeller Park Playground NYC
- Visit Pier 51 Playground - it's one of NYC's Top 25
- There's views for days for at Pier 25 Playground on the Hudson River
- This cool Loose Parts playground in NYC is one of a kind!
- Diana Ross Playground in Central Park is a timber fort adventure!
- Lincoln Playground in Prospect Park has water-spouting frog sculptures
- Hang out with locals at the Rudin Family Playground in Central Park
- We visited Vanderbilt Playground in Brooklyn after it snowed!
NYC Museums for Kids
- The Children's Museum of Manhattan is our NUMBER ONE place to visit in New York with kids
- 6 Epic Reasons to visit Brooklyn Children's Museum with kids
- There's a Marvel Superhero 4D Movie at Madame Tussauds in NY
- Kids can "dig" for bones at the Discovery Room, Museum of Natural History New York
- 4 Fun things to do at Children's Corner in Prospect Park Brooklyn
- Discovery Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden is just for kids
Zoos in New York
Act like a Local
Art & Design in NYC
- Check out super cute statues by Tom Otterness in Battery Park NYC
- There's a Hans Christian Andersen statue in Central Park
- The Stuart Little Movie filmed a famous scene at this cool boat-sailing pond in Central Park
- Roam the Gnome was on KISS CAM in Times Square New York- we have proof!
- Central Park is where you'll find the famous Alice in Wonderland Statue
- The Ten Best Toys you could buy at FAO Schwartz Store in NYC
- Remembering the iconic FAO Schwartz Store in New York
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
We invite you to make a cup of tea or coffee, or pour a glass of your favourite beverage, and enjoy scrolling below...
American Girl Store Cafe. Updated 2018. In New York City, you can take your American Girl doll out for lunch. Or morning tea. Or afternoon tea. Or whenever you can secure that elusive reservation. Our hot tip: Book early, and take what you can get. The boys and I couldn’t resist taking our Gnome to […]
Lincoln Road Playground. Updated 2018. The best thing at this playground is the Water Squirting Frogs. What fun to skip and swirl through the Lincoln Playground water play area to dodge their mischievous sprays and sprinklers. But those frogs couldn’t catch us on our visit. Our adventures happened on a day where there was an […]
Eloise and the Plaza Store. Updated 2018. One of the first things on my New York bucket list was to visit the home of the mischievious and fanciful Eloise, the well-known book character famous for her residency in the Penthouse Suite at one of New York’s most expensive and exclusive hotels, the Plaza New York. […]
New York Pass. Updated 2018. Do not go to New York without buying a New York Pass. With the New York Pass in hand, you’ll never pay full price for entry at over 100 New York attractions- your pass lets you in for free! Using the New York Pass is the ULTIMATE sightseeing adventure in […]
The Rudin Family Playground. Updated 2018. There’s 21 playgrounds in Central Park, and while this is not one of the best playgrounds in Manhattan, if you have meandered to the north of Central Park on your New York city explorations, this playground will give the kids a break from strollers and walking. The Rudin Family […]
Childrens Corner Prospect Park. Updated 2018. Did you know there’s a special place, just for kids in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park? It’s called Children’s Corner, and there’s a bunch of stuff to do. Let’s take a look. Childrens Corner Prospect Park Number One. Prospect Park Zoo Don’t miss the most popular exhibit at Prospect Park Zoo […]
Heckscher Playground Central Park. Updated 2018. The friendly policemen pointed us in the right direction to Heckscher Playground, the oldest playground in Central Park. But before we headed off, we took that “Iconic pic with a NYC policeman” selfie. Because you have to, right? (It made our day!) Hand on heart, my favourite thing about […]