Roam the Gnome has travelled all over the world, but this was one of his favourite moments ever! Roam the Gnome Featured on the Kiss Cam in New York City’s Times Square. Have you ever been to Times Square? Have you ever wanted to capture yourself on the giant Revlon Kiss Cam? We found ourselves […]
Thank you for visiting ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
It's a one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in America with Kids.
Take a look at our collection of ideas for New York for Kids below.
We invite you to read our stories, watch our videos, gather tonnes of useful tips to help plan your family vacation itinerary, and find all the information you need about visiting NEW YORK with Kids.
We guarantee that Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Family Accommodation in New York City
Super Fun Hotels in NYC
- Details coming soon!
Budget Family Hotels in New York
Eating in New York City with Kids
- Kids tired and hungry? Visit Speedy's for a quick takeout meal
- The Top 5 Fun Restaurants for Kids in NYC
- 5 Unbearably Good Sweet Treats You Must Eat in New York
Shopping in New York City
- The Lego Store at Rockefeller Center has a PICK'n'MIX wall!
- Feed your Sweet Tooth at the famous Dylan's Candy Bar, New York
- Buy cool NYC souvenirs at the FDNY Fire Zone attraction
Destination: New York with Kids
Getting around New York City
Must-visit Attractions in New York City
- Do not go to New York without THIS pass
- 9 Super Cool Fun Things to do in Brooklyn Bridge Park with kids
- 7 Fun Things to do at the Brooklyn Bridge for Kids
- The Ultimate Guide to the Empire State Building with Kids
- Enjoy Brunch with your American Girl Doll - it's a very American thing to do!
- Visit the Eloise at the Plaza store to see how the other half live
- Should you take the kids to the 911 Memorial Museum in NYC? Here's what we think.
Playgrounds in New York City
- Explore stone forts and tunnels at the popular Heckscher Park Playground in Central Park
- There's an Epic Stone Slippery Dip at Billy Johnson Playground in Central Park - BYO cardboard!
- Climb the Giant Scramble Nets at Rockefeller Park Playground NYC
- Visit Pier 51 Playground - it's one of NYC's Top 25
- There's views for days for at Pier 25 Playground on the Hudson River
- This cool Loose Parts playground in NYC is one of a kind!
- Diana Ross Playground in Central Park is a timber fort adventure!
- Lincoln Playground in Prospect Park has water-spouting frog sculptures
- Hang out with locals at the Rudin Family Playground in Central Park
- We visited Vanderbilt Playground in Brooklyn after it snowed!
NYC Museums for Kids
- The Children's Museum of Manhattan is our NUMBER ONE place to visit in New York with kids
- 6 Epic Reasons to visit Brooklyn Children's Museum with kids
- There's a Marvel Superhero 4D Movie at Madame Tussauds in NY
- Kids can "dig" for bones at the Discovery Room, Museum of Natural History New York
- 4 Fun things to do at Children's Corner in Prospect Park Brooklyn
- Discovery Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden is just for kids
Zoos in New York
Act like a Local
Art & Design in NYC
- Check out super cute statues by Tom Otterness in Battery Park NYC
- There's a Hans Christian Andersen statue in Central Park
- The Stuart Little Movie filmed a famous scene at this cool boat-sailing pond in Central Park
- Roam the Gnome was on KISS CAM in Times Square New York- we have proof!
- Central Park is where you'll find the famous Alice in Wonderland Statue
- The Ten Best Toys you could buy at FAO Schwartz Store in NYC
- Remembering the iconic FAO Schwartz Store in New York
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
We invite you to make a cup of tea or coffee, or pour a glass of your favourite beverage, and enjoy scrolling below...
Billy Johnson Playground. Updated 2018. Where in New York City can you find a playground with a super-dooper fun granite stone slippery dip? This slide is double the fun when you ride down on a piece of cardboard. BYO, or borrow a piece from a fellow family and you are all set. This Central Park […]
Alice in Wonderland Statue. Deep in the green surrounds of Central Park, we were astonished to find an Alice in Wonderland Statue. It appeared out of nowhere, and as a life-long Alice fan, I was delighted! The 11-foot life-size bronze statue is a whimsical tribute to the characters of Lewis Carroll’s classic storybook, Alice’s Adventures […]
911 Memorial NYC Museum. I thought long and hard before taking Ned and Jack to the 911 Memorial Museum on our trip to New York. What pushed me over the edge was the fact I really wanted to visit. 9/11 was a worldwide tragedy, that touched everyone who turned on the tv, listened to the […]
The Roam the Gnome Insider’s Guide to the Top 10 Best Toys in the World of FAO Schwarz FAO Schwarz is a magnificent toy shop located in New York City. Made famous by the BIG PIANO scene in the movie BIG, starring Tom Hanks, FAO Schwarz has been located on 5th Avenue for over 30 […]
FAO Schwarz Toy Store NYC to close? NO! Can’t possibly be. Did you hear the awful news? FAO Schwarz Toy Store NYC will close the doors on its iconic landmark 5th Avenue store in July. Oh my! What an absolute tragedy for BIG fans and toy fans alike. NO MORE giant piano… one of New […]
When it comes to travelling with the kids and eating, I’m a big fan of quirky and gimmicky, along with any place that has stuff to entertain and keep the kids busy while we wait. I trust and believe that there will always be something kind-of healthy to order. It’s not fine dining but it […]
Anything, or almost anything, goes when you are on holidays and one sure thing is that there is dessert after every dinner. Sometimes, dessert comes before dinner. That’s the nature of holidays, isn’t it? And another thing or two about dessert you might like to know before we continue… If no one sees you […]