INSIDE: The best playground at Brisbane Southbank – Riverside Green. Towering Pink Fort Towers. Tick. Never Ending Slides. Tick. A HUMAN-SIZED HAMSTER WHEEL? This Peter Pan & Neverland-inspired Riverside Green playground is Brisbane’s best playground for child-sized pirates and Wendy’s. Riverside Green Southbank for Big Kids Riverside Green Playground is South Bank’s most popular playground, […]
G'day Brisbane Explorers!
Welcome to ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
Check the directory for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in Brisbane, Australia with Kids.
We invite you to search our Brisbane Travel Blog to save time, stress & money when BOOKING YOUR NEXT TRIP!
(You can search lots of other different cities via the menu bar too)
Brisbane with Kids
Brisbane is our top city in Australia to visit with kids, and lots of you think so too!
We think it's because of the combination of a few things. The glorious warm weather and bright blue sunny skies, coupled with the exceptionally family-friendly CBD zone with world-class shopping on one side of the river, and Southbank entertainment zone on the other.
People are friendly, there's a laid-back feel, and the traffic is non-existent when compared to other big Australian cities. You can actually get from place to place in the time it should take!
We love it, and visit OFTEN as it's just "up the road" (1 hour, 45 from Byron Bay shire where we live.)
Brisbane, you're the best.
Getting around Brisbane
Here's our monster guide to getting around Brisbane.
Ride a city cycle bike around Brisbane CBD for FREE! (Well, so long as you swap bikes every half hour. There is also a daily subscription fee of $2. But it's worth it.)
Eating in Brisbane with Kids
Roam the Gnome loves Sushi Edo Brisbane. The boys do too. Especially ordering by ipad! Super fun.
Check back soon for more yummy places to eat with Kids in Brisbane.
Things to do in Brisbane with Kids
- Visit GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) with kids. There's new hands-on exhibitions every few months, so you can call in again and again. They also run Toddler Tuesday at GOMA too.
- The Brisbane Science Centre on the ground floor is full of hands-on games and activities for kids. Visit the Whale mall while you are there, and then head into the Queensland Museum to see all the stuffed taxidermy animals. It's weird but wonderful.
- The Cube at QUT (QLD University of Technology) usually has school holiday tech activities and digital showcases. We loved the Dino Zoo at the Cube QUT.
- Look out for the next MUDWORLD event in Brisbane. SO. MUCH. FUN.
- Check out what's on for kids at QPAC. We buy tickets for shows (such as the Mad Hatters Tea Party by Funatorium or Steve Backshall's Deadly 60) every school holidays.
Epic Playgrounds in Brisbane
Brisbane has the BEST playgrounds around. Visit these ones for yourselves!
- Be enchanted by the magical New Farm Park playground in amongst the Moreton Bay figs.
- Walk down from Queen Street Mall to find this all-abilities playground in the Brisbane Botanical Gardens.
- Riverside Green playground at Southbank
- Picnic Island Green at Southbank is just a bit further along too
- The Lobley Park Ipswich Airport themed playground is fun for kids
- We ADORE the whimsical FUNderwood Hollow Playground in Underwood Park, Priestdale. And you will too!
- Here's another playground with a cute backstory! Hidden World playground in Fitzgibbon.
- Frew Park Milton playground in Brisbane is the best one for older kids and teenagers. It's cool!
- Visiting Ikea in Logan? Stop by this playground afterwards. It's just across the highway.
Special events in Brisbane
Held yearly, the Christmas Carols in Brisbane held in the St Johns Cathedral will send shivers up and down your spine. What a place to immerse yourself in the Christmas spirit!
Take the kids to see a Musical at QPAC. Roam the Gnome, the kids and I LOVED the Wizard of Oz
Oktoberfest in Brisbane has a family day, specially for families and kids.
Out of the Box festival for kids is great fun and happens once a year, with bucketloads of art events, shows, and creative things to do for kids in Brisbane. Our favourite Out of the Box festival experience so far was definitely the Bubble Show!
Farm Stays near Brisbane
Lillydale Farm Stay tops our list of Brisbane farmstay experiences. We made a video. Check it out here.
Things to do in Ipswich with Kids
Here's a quirky one. Take the kids in the early evening to try to spy the mysterious Bremer River creatures in Ipswich.
Make a day of it by visiting the Queens Park playground in Ipswich , the Ipswich Nature Centre (it's FREE!), and the Ipswich Art Gallery has ever-changing exhibitions for kids. Don't forget to stop by the Bob Gamble Park Waterpark (it's FREE too!).
More Things to Do Around Brisbane
The Goomeri Pumpkin Festival has a pumpkin rolling contest. Plus pumpkin scones!
Did you know there's a Mary Poppins Festival in Maryborough each year? This festival celebrates all things Mary Poppins. They even have a Chimney Sweep competition!
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(Spam is dumb. If you don't like what we send you, we want to know about it so we can make our newsletters more useful to you. Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
(Or remember the Gnome!)
We invite you to grab a cold one, and browse Brisbane things to do below...
INSIDE: The Scoop on Picnic Island Green South Bank Visiting Southbank in Brisbane? Avoid the crowded Riverside Green playground and head straight to Picnic Island Green instead. It’s an oasis of leaf-filled trees, palms, wavy concrete architecture, timber boardwalks, and balancing beams. For animal lovers, there’s a fish-filled pond with lily pads, native fish, and […]
INSIDE: A sneak peek at Lobley Park Ipswich Airport Playground in Brisbane. DO NOT MISS this fun Airport themed playground in Ipswich! Roam the Gnome, and the boys did not want to leave. Take your kids and enjoy a day at one of the best Ipswich Playgrounds. Airport Playground in Ipswich The Lobley Park Airport […]
Take the kids for a early-evening magical mystical adventure in Ipswich. There’s a rumour you can spy your very own Loch Ness Monster, right here in the Ipswich CBD. Pop on your Sherlock Holmes hat and coat, and get ready to solve the mystery. Look the part with an old-school spyglass or binoculars. (You might […]
INSIDE: Queens Park Playground. Updated 2018. The age-old Queens Park in Ipswich is beloved by local Ipswich families. Visitors to Ipswich should take note, and stop by, especially if you have kids. Queens Park playground is a multi-level nature-based playground with tonnes to do! Take a look. Queens Park Playground for Toddlers, Preschoolers and Big […]
INSIDE: Ipswich Nature Centre is a delightful surprise! Pop Ipswich Nature Centre on your list of things to do in Ipswich. This place is a gem hidden in plain sight, and it’s FREE! Ipswich Nature Centre Lovingly landscaped with native flora, and beautifully maintained, Ipswich Nature Centre and Animal Refuge in Ipswich’s historical Queens Park […]
INSIDE: Funderwood Hollow at Underwood Park Priestdale. There’s TWO fun playgrounds for the price of one (that would be FREE!) at Underwood Park in Priestdale, One is a SUPER MAGICAL timber play structure that is fit for a Hobbit, or Gnome! We adore quirky playground design and this is one of the best playgrounds in […]
INSIDE: The Inside Scoop on Bob Gamble Park Ipswich. There’s an EPIC water playground in Ipswich, and it’s a hidden gem, known only to locals. But now you know – GO GO GO! The Bob Gamble Park playground in Ispwich is up there with the best water playgrounds in Brisbane! Water Playground at Bob Gamble […]