INSIDE: Robina Play Centre “Rainforest Play”. Updated July 2018. Imagine walking into Robina Town Centre and finding the Robina Play Centre’s cutest little rainforest land, with a teepee garden, hanging vines, and wooden log stepping-stones! It gets even better than that. This playground purpose-created for the little ones is FREE! Yes, you read right. This […]
The Gold Coast is Australia's Top Family Holiday Destination!
Welcome to ROAM THE GNOME™ Family Travel Website.
Check the directory for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel on the Gold Coast, Australia with Kids.
Travelling with kids to the Gold Coast? Our Gold Coast Travel Blog will help you save time, stress & money when BOOKING YOUR NEXT TRIP!
(PS: You can search lots of other Australian cities AND overseas destinations via the menu bar too)
Gold Coast with Kids
The Gold Coast is where I grew up. It's now transformed from a medium-sized still-sleepy-in-some-parts beach town, into a cosmopolitan city to rival Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - with better weather AND arguably, the best beaches in Australia.
I love the Gold Coast with all my heart, and visit weekly as it's just 45 minutes from my house to Robina Town Centre shops.
We also pop up regularly to visit Grandma and Grandpa who still live there, along with the rest of our immediate family too.
The Gold Coast stretches from Coolangatta at the southern tip, right up to Paradise Point in the north, and west to Oxenford and Coomera, the home of Dreamworld, Movie World, and Wet 'n' Wild theme parks. Surfers Paradise is the unofficial 'capital' of town, at the midpoint of the long stretch of Gold Coast beach.
Just south of there, you can soak up the atmosphere of the beachside suburbs of Broadbeach, Nobbys Beach, Burleigh Heads, Tallebudgera Creek, Palm Beach, Currumbin, and Tugun.
Then there's the Hinterland behind - you can take a day trip to visit the mountain magic and quaint shopping streets of Tamborine Mountain, drink in the views from Springbrook Mountain, and hike around Binna Burra at the top of Beechmont.
You'll never be bored on the Gold Coast with kids!
Where to stay on the Gold Coast with Kids
Turtle Beach Resort Gold Coast is our top pick of family resorts on the Gold Coast. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Diamond Beach Resort at Broadbeach is another great family hotel on the Gold Coast. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Getting around the Gold Coast
Click here to read our comprehensive overview of getting around the Gold Coast.
Eating on the Gold Coast with Kids
- Our number one family-friendly restaurant in Broadbeach is the Aztec Mexican
- Southport Sharks is a popular local's club with kids menus and a kids club!
- Harajuku Gyoza in Broadbeach Mall serves beer and dumplings, and for dessert - wait for it - try NUTELLA GYOZA.
- The Fish Hut in Burleigh Heads has the best crunchy chips on the Gold Coast
- Pancakes on the Rocks has food to suit the fussiest of eaters. They've now moved from Mermaid Beach. Check the post for details.
- Visit Gelato Messina in the Strand Shopping Mall in Coolangatta for the best gelato around. (They even make a TOADSTOOL birthday cake!)
Check back soon for more yummy places to eat with Kids on the Gold Coast.
Things to do on the Gold Coast with Kids
- Start here: Here's our big list of the TOP 20 Things to do on the Gold Coast with kids.
- Tabatinga Tweed Heads is at Seagulls Leagues Club. It has a glow-in-the-dark putt putt golf AND a 'balladium'. Book a visit. This place is an unexpected surprise.
- Be baffled by the bizarre and wonderful at Ripleys Surfers Paradise - there's heaps of hands-on activities and games for kids inside!
- Visit Planet Chill Ice Skating to get out of the heat
- Take the kids to this junior bike riding track at Southport
- Visit HOTA at Bundall and join in all the kids activities every school holiday and some weekends too. (We loved the Playschool Presenters 50th Birthday Exhibition a while back. Was SO cool to to see the 'windows' in real life!). HOTA (formerly the Gold Coast Arts Centre) has LOTS of live shows on offer for their kids program too. Jack and I watched the Peppa Pig Gold Coast show in their elegant theatre. This year, we're watching The Gruffalo, and Possum Magic live on stage.
- Lots of people ask us 'Is there anything to do for toddlers at Movie World?' We say yes. Find out why!
- Fancy doing something a little different and out there? Why not try Mother and Child floating meditation pod classes? You'll have fun swinging from the ceiling while you unwind from the busy days.
Gold Coast Trampoline Parks
- Springloaded trampoline park is our favourite place to hang out in school holidays.
- Take the kids to BOUNCE Inc Trampoline Park & X-Park Parkour Zone
Where to swim on the Gold Coast
- Tallebudgera Beach is the Number One beach for families on the Gold Coast - it's magical
- Southport 'rock pools' is the best splash pad water park on the Goldie.
- Everything you need to know about AQUA SPLASH Gold Coast
- Go for a cool dip at Mt Cougall National Park rock pools. BYO picnic lunch.
- Currumbin Rock Pools are a local institution for an afternoon swim. It gets busy, so either go really early, or late late afternoon.
Where to shop on the Gold Coast
- Robina Town Centre has a giant TOY SHOP called Toymate Superstore - pop by for bargains galore.
- When you are shopping at Robina Town Centre, there's an indoor playground called Rainforest Play when the kids need a break
- There's another play space at Robina Town Centre shops too. It's called Tree Top Play sits on the first floor, opposite the entrance to Toymate.
- Click here to find out how to get to Robina Town Centre?
Cool Playgrounds on the Gold Coast
- Slide down the GIANT slippery dip at the Parklake Park Pacific Pines Playground
- Visit the revamped playground at the Gold Coast Botanic Gardens Benowa
- There's a super high slippery dip at the Lions Park playground in Helensvale
- Paradise Point parklands playground has an old-school 'horse' carousel spinner ride
- Westfield Helensvale shopping centre on the northern end of the Gold Coast has an epic indoor outdoor playground for kids of all ages, with a monster sized slide. It's the best shopping centre play area on the Goldie for sure.
Visit a Beachside Playground on the Gold Coast
- The Pirate Park playground in Palm Beach is Gold Coast's best playground. It's great for a Pirate Party!
- Burleigh Heads playground has one of those egg-spinner rides!
- Try the Broadbeach All Abilities playground near Kurrawa surf club
- Let the kids play lifeguards at the Tallebudgera Surf Club playground
- Try to balance on a giant 'thong' rocker at this North Burleigh kids playground on the Gold Coast
- Kirra Beach playground has views of the best surfing break on the Gold Coast (Keep an eye out for Mick Fanning here)
- Coolangatta is our favourite place on the southern end of the coast. This Coolangatta playground is on the beachfront opposite the shopping mall.
See Animals on the Gold Coast
- 17 Epic Things to do at Currumbin Bird Sanctuary with kids
- Feed the pelicans at Ray Pascoe park in Tweed Heads
Indoor Play Centres on the Gold Coast
- Abrakidazzle indoor play centre is the largest on the Gold Coast
- Yard Apes indoor play centre is Circus themed.
- Kidz N Play indoor play centre in Robina has a cafe on site. It's a smaller one than most, but super clean and well organised. Great for toddlers and preschoolers.
Gold Coast Events
- Check Haven Magazine for cool upcoming events for kids on the Gold Coast. We loved the life-size game of "Operation" at the Holiday Playdate event.
- Monster Machinery Day is the day when the Gold Coast city council brings out all the big machines and trucks and lets the kids play on them for one special day a year. We LOVE this event!
- The Gold Coast City Council runs Active and Healthy activities all year round, but the best ones for kids are held during the school holiday breaks. Anyone can join in the FREE fun! Book a session or two. Click here to learn more about Active and Healthy Gold Coast.
See more of the Gold Coast for kids
- Check Haven for families magazine for upcoming events on the Gold Coast
- Ride the Animalls at Pacific Fair Shopping Centre
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(Spam is dumb. We don't like it, so we won't do it to you. We promise.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
(Or remember the Gnome!)
Order a coffee to go, and scroll below for all the things to do on the Gold Coast...
INSIDE: Try ALL the fun stuff at Bounce Inc Gold Coast. BOUNCE Inc Gold Coast is NOT just another trampoline park. Hidden out the back of the enormous hanger building, there’s a secret door with one of those thick plastic curtains hanging down. You know the style. Find them in every single milk bar in […]
INSIDE: Take a peek inside Currumbin Bird Sanctuary. It’s NOT just birds. While Currumbin Bird Sanctuary might be best known for it’s twice-daily Rainbow Lorikeet feeding sessions, there’s so much more to do. Anyone who is visiting the Gold Coast with kids, should put Currumbin Sanctuary on the itinerary. It’s the best value, nature experience […]
INSIDE: Take a look inside Ripleys Surfers Paradise Oddity Museum. Ripleys Surfers Paradise is an ODDITY Museum to tickle your funny bone, bombard you with random facts, and scare the bejeezus out of you too. Grab yourself a discount entry to the Odditorium if you can, but it’s good fun at any price. Ripleys Surfers […]
INSIDE: Take a look at the fun playground equipment at Tallebudgera Surf Club Playground. Ronnie Long Park at Tallebudgera Beach is one of the Gold Coast’s best kept secrets. This surf lifesaving themed playground will entertain the kids for hours, while you enjoy a coffee or lunch in peace. Take a sneak peek here. Tallebudgera […]
INSIDE: The Insiders Guide to Tallebudgera Beach Gold Coast. There’s one beach on the Gold Coast that should be on EVERY parent’s list of Gold Coast Beaches to visit with kids. See why we think Tallebudgera Creek Beach is the best kids beach on the Gold Coast. The colour of the water might have something […]
INSIDE: A Sneak Peek at Parklake Park Gold Coast. I remember visiting Parklake Park with my daughter when it was newly opened. Years later, it’s had a revamp and is as good as ever. The GIANT Blue Slide is the reason you should go. The Spider Web Swing, Giant Fort and Super Fun Toddler playgrounds […]
INSIDE: Toymate Robina is our favourite toyshop! See why. Gift buying just got a whole lot easier, and cheaper. The brand new Toymate Super Store is now open at Robina Town Centre Shopping Centre. Woo hoo! Take the escalators next to the Body Shop up to the second level. (The escalators are opposite Napoleon Perdis.) […]