Enjoy a Sofitel Sydney High Tea The Sofitel Sydney High Tea experience is an elegant afternoon for groups of women (and the odd man) celebrating friendship, baby showers, birthdays, engagements and weddings. But the ones we love best are the themed high teas for families with children. The Sofitel Sydney Wentworth Hotel in the Sydney […]
Sydney for Kids
ROAM THE GNOME™ Family Travel Website is our directory of SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities in Sydney, Australia
This Sydney Travel Blog will help you save time, stress & money when BOOKING YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Visiting Sydney with Kids
Sydney is a BIG city, so planning your day out with kids in Sydney is vital. It's one city where a google map search may lead you up the proverbial garden path.
Things LOOK close together, but they are not.
Or the attractions in Sydney you want to visit are one or two kilometres apart, BUT the traffic congestion to get from one place to another doubles or triples your estimated travel time.
Which is why we are in the process of writing up a bunch of our favourite Sydney itineraries to help. (Check back soon!)
In the meantime, we definitely suggest:
- a day in the CBD, starting at the Powerhouse Museum, walking through Chinatown, and up to Darling Harbour (check out the playground there)
- A day trip around the Watsons Bay area to visit all the Sydney Harbour beaches and swimming spots
- Take the scooters in the car when you go to Luna Park (Coney Island wooden slides are a must do). When you are finished with the rides and funfair fun of Luna Park, grab the scooters from the boot and ride your way around to Wendy Whitley's Secret Garden, then over the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Barangaroo sandstone shoreline. (Hot tip: catch a cab back to the car. The kids will be exhausted!)
Awesome Things to do in Sydney with Kids
- Ride your scooters at the Sydney Park Bike Track
- Here's another cool bike track in Sydney, Brightmore Reserve kids bike park
- See a movie at this retro cinema - The Hayden Orpheum in Cremorne
- There's FREE activities all year round at the Art Gallery of NSW in the CBD
- The Museum of Fire in Sydney showcases all things fire-department and is home to model fire trucks, helmets, and uniforms too.
- Take the kids to see a musical show at the heritage-listed Capitol Theatre in Sydney. Our last visit, we watched Aladdin, the most sumptuous stage production we've ever been lucky enough to watch! I also took my mum to see Cats with Delta Goodrem.
Playgrounds in Sydney
- There's a water park at Pirrama Park playground and views of the water too. It's just up the road from the Star Casino. A hidden treasure, that's for sure.
- Climb the Rocket Ship in Enmore Park Marrickville
- Prince Alfred Park playground has adorable play equipment!
- Whizz down the gigantic slide at Wulaba Park playground in Waterloo Sydney
- Enjoy a day out at Sydney Park playground near the heritage chimney stacks
- 7 fun adventures to have at Tunks Park playground
Eating in Sydney with Kids
- If you are visiting Chinatown, join the queue for mouth-watering hot Cream Puffs at Emperor's Garden Sydney
- Looking for high tea in Sydney? There's themed extravaganzas for High Tea at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth hotel for groups and families too
Where to swim in Sydney
- The BEST Splash Pad for Toddlers is at the Prince Alfred Park Pool!
- The Ultimate Guide to Parsley Bay Sydney for families and kids
- The BEST Sydney Harbour Beaches for Kids
- How to get to Camp Cove, Sydney's prettiest beach
- The Malabar Beach rock pool is a iconic place to swim with kids
- At Christmas time, do not miss Carols in the Domain - our favourite yearly tradition
(Spam is for dummies. We don't believe in it.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Hope to see you here again soon.
DIY Itinerary with our Sydney Travel Blog highlights below...
If your kids are SPACE fanatics, rate Elon Musk as their hero, and have words such as Space X, Falcon Heavy, and Falcon 9 in their vocabulary, it’s time to visit the Rocket Ship imaginary playground at Enmore Park, Marrickville. Who knows where their imaginations will take them? Blast Off at Enmore Park! Enmore Park […]
Hot day in the city? The kids feeling tired and grumpy? Need a cool change? Head straight to Prince Alfred Park Pool and their fancy splash pad for toddlers and young kids. There’s a big 50 metre public pool. Older kids who can swim will be first in. Then there’s plenty of room under the shade […]
Oh to have lived in 1870! This was the year that British Aeronaut Thomas Gale created a great spectacle for Sydneysiders, floating a balloon flight from Prince Alfred Park across to Redfern and Waterloo. Dangerous stunts like this gas-filled balloon flight were all the rage – mishaps were part of the intrigue – and a […]
Australia’s most colourful playground may just be Wulaba Park Playground in Waterloo. We call this our Jack-in-the-box playground because it’s hidden amongst tall apartment buildings, and invisible to the eye, until it suddenly pops out at you! Designed by Sydney artist Nuha Saad in conjunction with landscape architects, this multi-level playground in a kaleideoscope of […]
Imagine a kids’ bike track with REAL working traffic lights, road line markings, and pedestrian crossings. A place where kids can learn to ride their bikes and scooters along with all the road rules, without fear of being run over in the street. It’s the number one reason to visit the Sydney Park Bike Track […]
Where can you find a Sydney Park with its’ own HUMAN SUN DIAL? A Sydney playground that pops up in amongst Sydney’s natural bush habitat? A Sydney playground that is coloured ochre, brick red, and clay to match the history and heritage of the area? That would be Sydney Park St Peters, (or sometimes called […]
Want to burn up some of your kids’ excess energy? Our favourite way to do that is by taking the kids to a scooter/bicycle track for kids. In North Sydney, this one is worth a visit with scooters and bikes in tow. Brightmore Reserve, North Sydney This kids bike park is surrounded by grassy fields, […]