INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s List of the Best Things to do in Auckland New Zealand. Updated 2019.
I didn’t love Auckland the first time I visited.
It felt bland, and a little boring.
But like all good things that grow on you, Auckland is now one of our favourite places to go in New Zealand.
The people are delightful, everything is close by, the harbour views sparkle, and even that upward slog when you walk to the Myers Park playground from the New Zealand Maritime Museum doesn’t seem so strenuous.
Auckland with kids is fabulous too. It’s safe, kid-friendly, and the public transport is easy. (Kids ride free on the Skybus from the airport to the city too.)
The only downside is the cost of eating out. You definitely need to make friends with the local supermarkets in New Zealand so you can buy fruit, snacks, yoghurts, muesli bars, bread, and ready-to-eat food for breakfast and in-between meals.
Take a look at our travel finds!
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
Where to stay in Auckland
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in NZ dollars.
We stayed in this budget-friendly accommodation right in the heart of Auckland.
The Waldorf Tetra apartment hotel had a self contained kitchen, was super clean and tidy, a no-fuss hotel for families just a few hundred metres walk from the best playground in Auckland city for kids.
Check latest prices. Read full review.
Eating in Auckland with Kids
- We love to eat these Soft Pretzels for a budget breakfast or lunch.
- Enjoy lunch or morning tea at MOTAT Areroa Tearooms
- This sweet shop is filled with the best London lollies (and a few Kiwi favourites too)
Getting around Auckland
- You can hire these cars with a DEBIT card as security (not credit card)
- You will LOVE this tip to reduce the cost of fuel in NZ. Fuel cost is outrageous!
SUPER DOOPER FUN Things to See in Auckland with Kids
- THIS indoor maze experience is not cheap, but it’s a one-of-a-kind adventure. We LOVED it!
- Play amongst the DINOSAURS at this indoor mini golf course!
- This giant-sized indoor games parlour is one of the best rainy day activities in Auckland
Kids Playgrounds in Auckland
Auckland Museums for Kids
- Tonnes of Fun for Kids at the Auckland Maritime Museum
- The Ultimate Guide to MOTAT in Auckland
- There’s MONSTER-SIZED planes at MOTAT Aviation Hall next door!
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory