INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s Guide to the Best Things to do in Hawaii with kids on Oahu. Updated 2019.
Planning to visit Hawaii with kids?
So are we. (Again, for the third time.)
Roam the Gnome, the boys and I are heading back in early 2020 for a 10 day trip exploring the island of Oahu, visiting Honolulu, Waikiki and the North Shore.
We’ve booked a magical stay for four nights at the Aulani Disney Resort Hawaii.
(I’ll give you my secrets on how to book a family vacation at Disney Aulani on a budget soon!)
As usual, we’ll be taking notes, sharing stories about our favourite experiences, and making short films about the best places to visit in Hawaii with kids.
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 HAWAII ITINERARY – OAHU WITH KIDS
- 2 WHERE TO STAY IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
- 3 SHOPPING IN HAWAII
- 4 EATING IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
- 5 Where to eat in Hawaii?
- 6 FUN THINGS TO DO IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
- 7 ART GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS IN HAWAII
- 8 BEACHES IN HAWAII
- 9 Where to swim in Hawaii with kids?
- 10 Hawaii for Kids
- 11 Looking for MORE places to visit in America with kids?
- 12 Subscribe
- 13 Bookmark Roam the Gnome
HAWAII ITINERARY – OAHU WITH KIDS
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars.
We’re starting to compile our Hawaii itinerary to make sure we soak up all the Hawaii goodness on our trip.
So far, we’re planning to visit:
- the Honolulu zoo
- the Waikiki aquarium
- Diamond Head crater
- Laniakea Beach (alt. Turtle Beach) on the north shore to see the Hawaiian sea turtles in their natural habitat
WHERE TO STAY IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
DISNEY Aulani is our pick of the best Hawaii hotels for kids but we are definitely biased.
Come back soon for more Hawaii hotel reviews, plus ideas for Hawaii packages, Hawaii vacation deals, the best all inclusive resorts Hawaii style, and the best Hawaii hotels for families.
SHOPPING IN HAWAII
We’ll catch the bus to Target for more Ryan’s World toys (at Jack’s request)
Ross Dress for Less
- Ross Dress for Less – I can’t resist this bargain clothes shop. Hoping to find some summery dresses for cheap.
Ala Moana Center
We plan to spend a day browsing the Ala Moana shopping mall visiting these shops.
- The DISNEY store
- GAP to pick up my favorite jeans!!!
- Barnes and Noble booksellers
- Old Navy
- See’s Candies
- Alex and Ani – hoping to find a Disney bracelet
- Bloomingdales and Nordstrom
- the LEGO store
- Aloha Confectionery for sweet souvenirs
- Animation Magic
- Anthropologie homewares
- Hilo Hattie for Hawaii souvenirs, and the Honolulu coffee co to pick up more souvenirs from Hawaii
We are going to visit Flip Flop Workshop to make our own pair of fancy colored flip flop thongs!
I’m excited to explore the Shirokiya Japan Village walk inside Ala Moana, a replica of a traditional Japanese town with a food court, shopping alleys, and event square.
MORE SHOPPING IN HAWAII for kids
Waikiki Beach Walk retailers
More shops to browse along the Waikiki Beach Walk
The quintessential American department store is a fave and we can’t wait to visit this Hawaii outpost.
Royal Hawaiian Center
Our number one goal is to buy a fresh flower lei at Aunty Bella’s Lei stand at the Royal Hawaiian center.
Shop for Hawaiian souvenirs here too.
EATING IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
Where to eat in Hawaii?
- eat dinner at the International Market Place while watching a traditional hula dance show
- enjoy dinner at the Cheesecake Factory
- try an original chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A for the first time (if the first Chick-fil-A in Hawaii is open in time)
- eat shave ice at Matsumoto Shave Ice (it’s on Kamehameha Hwy in Haleiwa)
- experience a Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center (to kill two birds with one stone)
- eat dole whip at the Dole plantation
- Brug Hokkaido Bakery at Ala Moana
- Ala Moana food court – Cheeseburger factory, Cinnabon,
- Eggs and Things for delicious breakfasts (find one at AlaMoana shops, and also in Waikiki)
- We have to visit Jack in the Box for burgers, chicken strips and donut holes. Our Jack would have it no other way!
FUN THINGS TO DO IN HAWAII WITH KIDS
There’s a bucketload of family friendly activities on Oahu. Take a look.
- Play all day at the Hawaii Children’s Discovery Centre (if you are in Hawaii with toddlers, don’t miss it.)
- Ride the slides at Wet’n’Wild Hawaii
- Take a circle tour of the island
- Spend time with the cats at the Lanai Cat Sanctuary
ART GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS IN HAWAII
There’s lots of Hawaii museums to explore.
- Pacific Aviation Museum
- Polynesian Cultural center
- Honolulu Museum of Art
- Reflect on history at Pearl Harbour National Park
- Tour the Iolani palace to see the home of the former King.
BEACHES IN HAWAII
Where to swim in Hawaii with kids?
We adore the calm waters of Waikiki for kids. It may be packed with tourists, but that doesn’t detract from our enjoyment of this special place.
- Swim in the calm turquoise waters of Waikiki beach
- Snorkel at Hanauma Bay nature preserve
- Learn to long board at Waikiki beach
Hawaii for Kids
We are working hard to find the answers to both our and your Hawaii questions including:
- is Spring Break a good time for visiting Hawaii with kids?
- What is the cheapest way to travel to Hawaii with kids?
- What are some fun things to do with children in Hawaii?
- What are the best travel deals to Hawaii?
- What tips would you have to travel to Hawaii?
- What are the best places to go in Hawaii?
Check back again soon!
Looking for MORE places to visit in America with kids?
Click the blue links:
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory