INSIDE: Roam the Gnome’s List of the Best Things to do in Rotorua. Updated 2019.
Rotorua. Don’t even think about missing it.
It’s touristy, expensive, and smelly at times, BUT the range of New Zealand attractions you can visit and things you can do here is GIGANTIC.
There’s something fun for every one of your family.
Our last visit, we stayed four days.
We needed ten.
We’ll be back soon.
Take a look at some of the fun you can have.
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
Visit Hobbiton in Matamata
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars.
Ok. Hobbiton is not strictly in Rotorua, but it’s close enough.
Visiting Hobbition is the NUMBER ONE REASON people visit New Zealand. It IS a touristy trail, with group after group walking in each other’s footsteps one after the other, and there’s not much time to breathe, or limited time to soak up the atmosphere as the ‘tour’ runs on a tight schedule, but you are NEVER going to see anything like this adorable movie set ever again.
Don’t be daft. Book a ticket. (We all LOVED it!)
- The Inside Scoop on Visiting Hobbiton Movie Set in Matamata
- A SNEAK PEEK into the Hobbiton Souvenir Shop
Where to stay in Rotorua
Need to book a family hotel in Rotorua? Or fancy staying in a house with full kitchen instead? Or travelling with family and want a family home where you can spread out a bit?
Take a look at the bach we stayed at last trip.
It was superb.
I just need to learn the knack of lighting a fire before we go next time so we don’t freeze to death!
Getting around Rotorua
- The funniest way to tour the sights of Rotorua is a DUCK TOUR.
- The coolest form of transport in Rotorua is a once-in-a-lifetime rail cruiser ride!
SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Rotorua
- Cover yourself in therapeutic mud and LAUGH yourself silly at this awesome Geothermal Mud Spa in Rotorua!
- Do yourself a favour and book the Tamaki Maori Village Hangi Dinner and Show – we LOVED it!
- Ride the Skyline Gondola up a dormant volcano!
- Buy a Family Pass to ride the Skyline Luge – don’t miss this!
- Try authentic Maori carving at this attraction in Rotorua
- Walk next to bubbling hot Geothermal Pools on a free guided tour at this natural wonder (entry fees apply)
- See the Big Sheep and Big Dog in Tirau
Eating in Rotorua with Kids
- Try all the flavours at Jelly Belly NZ
- The BEST Italian Restaurant in Rotorua
- Rotorua Night Markets are a feast of food choices!
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory