INSIDE: Love a good ghost story? Book this Waitomo Caves Accommodation and you might just find one.
Hotels that have been around for over 100 years have a lot of stories to tell.
The stories are in the walls, in the nooks, in the crannies. Every creak a whisper of time gone by.
This majestic hotel in Waitomo, just minutes from the Waitomo Caves, is full of them.
We definitely recommend a stay.
- 1 Waitomo Caves Hotel is a whimsical treasure!
- 2 Classic Accommodation in Waitomo
- 3 Budget Waitomo Caves Accommodation
- 4 The Inside Scoop – Places to Stay in Waitomo
- 5 Waitomo Caves Hotel Location Map
- 6 Toadstool Rating – Waitomo Caves Accommodation.
- 7 Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Waitomo Caves Hotel is a whimsical treasure!
This place must have been majestic in its day, a delightful temporary residence for well-to-do ladies and gentleman, roadtripping to the Waitomo Caves. (Check out our review of the Waitomo Caves Tour here.)
While it’s lost some of it’s sheen and polish, the Waitomo Caves Hotel retains something of it’s grandeur.
It’s the plush salmon carpet.
You just don’t see that in hotels anymore!
Classic Accommodation in Waitomo
It’s also the monumental size of the rooms. The balcony doors you can swing open with theatrical grace to let the cool night air in. The four-poster bed.
There’s a chandelier at the front desk reception, a vintage-style hotel restaurant (“The Lazy Trout”, open for breakfast and dinner daily), rose-covered curtains, and velvet couches in hidden corners inviting you to sit and rest.
It’s an elegant – if somewhat dated and run down – perfect weekend escape, reminiscent of yesteryear. You’ll forgive the fragile plaster, the runs in the carpet, and the hole-in-the-wall repairs. It’s all part of the charm. (Read all about the history of Waitomo Caves Hotel here.)
Budget Waitomo Caves Accommodation
The Waitomo Caves Hotel is definitely NOT five-star, more like three, but the super-soft linen and the cloud-like bedding will win you over.
PS: Please forgive the lack of light in our photos, both indoors and out. It was a dull overcast morning, and we simply couldn’t capture the charm of the rooms in this place even though we tried.
(This is a better pic of what it looks like with good light! With thanks to Waitomo Caves Hotel)
The Inside Scoop – Places to Stay in Waitomo
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: School Access Rd, Waitomo Caves, Waitomo, New Zealand
Telephone: +64 7 878 8204
Website: Click here
Cost: Rooms from $95 NZ per night
- We booked the two bedroom unit, with a four-poster Queen bed in one room, and two single beds in the 2nd bedroom. There’s an ensuite with bath (Hot tip- we found the plug sitting up on the soap dish), a T.V, fridge, and tea and coffee making facilities.
- There’s also a small kitchenette area but no cooking facilities, and a dining table and chairs but no separate lounge. It’s huge! One of the biggest hotel rooms we’ve seen in years. There’s also FREE WIFI!
- Check out all the room styles here.
How to get there:
- By Car: The best way to access this Waitomo Caves accommodation is by car. We hired a car through Aerodrive.
- By Bus: You can reach Waitomo by bus also. Click here for options.
Parking: Free on-site parking available.
Waitomo Caves Hotel Location Map
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Visit the onsite restaurant for breakfast and dinner. At check-in, the front office staff offered to look after the boys for breakfast if we wanted to enjoy a sleep in! (Now that’s the definition of good hotel service.)
Disability access: Difficult. There are no lifts and LOTS of stairs. Our hot tip is to leave your big luggage in the car if you can, and enjoy your stay with only the essentials in hand luggage so you don’t have to lug your bags up.
Closest playground: There’s a cute playground in town.
This Waitomo Caves accommodation hotel was last reviewed in August 2018.
Toadstool Rating – Waitomo Caves Accommodation.
If you need budget accommodation in Waitomo, this is your place. The ideal spot for a short stay to experience all the Waitomo activities on offer.
Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.