The Central Park Zoo is a small 6.5-acre zoo located in Central Park in New York City.
Our favourite part is the Tisch Children’s Zoo.
Visiting was one of those Bucket List moments strangely enough. I’ve longed to visit since I first read the classic Golden Book, “A Visit to The Children’s Zoo” by Barbara Shook Hazen. The Tisch Children’s Zoo is arguably the most well known children’s zoo in the world.
Just one reason this IS the BEST Zoo in New York.
- 1 Central Park Zoo Exhibits
- 2 Need more reasons to visit the Best Zoo in New York?
- 3 Central Park Zoo Scavenger Hunt Nature Quest
- 4 Tisch Children’s Zoo at Central Park Zoo
- 5 Get up Close with the Animals
- 6 Central Park Zoo Promo Code
- 7 Central Park Zoo Gift Shop
- 8 Photos of Central Park Zoo New York
- 9 Photos of Central Park Childrens Zoo
- 10 The Inside Scoop – New York Zoo in Central Park
- 11 Central Park Zoo Map
- 12 Toadstool Rating- NYC Zoo
- 13 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Central Park Zoo Exhibits
- Spot Sea Lions sunning themselves and swimming in the Central Garden Sea Lion Pool exhibit. This is the only place you can see Sea Lions with the New York city skyline in view! The second reason it’s the best zoo in New York.
- See the Grizzly Bears in their new enclosure. Big Brown Bears in the centre of New York City? The third reason it’s the best zoo in New York.
Need more reasons to visit the Best Zoo in New York?
- Watch the Snow Leopards roam around their steep terrain with grace.
- Look up in the trees for Red Pandas and look down to the water for the Snow Monkeys. There’s cranes in this Temperate Territory too.
- Check out the weird and wonderful in the Tropic Zone – emerald tree boa snakes, black and white ruffed lemurs, poison dart frogs, and crowned pigeons live here.
- Harbor seals, penguins and puffins reside in the Polar Circle exhibit in the Central Park Zoo.
Twice a day (10.30am and 2.30pm), you can watch the penguins being fed.
You can also see the Sea Lion feeding and training sessions at 11.30am, 1.30pm and 3.30pm.
There’s a 4D cinema theatre too.
Central Park Zoo Scavenger Hunt Nature Quest
Join us for a scavenger hunt around the zoo and find your favorite animals. Click here to download the map.
Tisch Children’s Zoo at Central Park Zoo
The Central Park Children’s Zoo is home to so many cute animals including:
- the only cow in Manhattan!
Kids can crawl, jump, climb on the spider web scramble net, and pretend to be animals too.
You can also hand feed the animals at the Central Park petting zoo between 10 a.m.–2 p.m too.
Get up Close with the Animals
Book tickets for a Family Breakfast with the animals.
Who wakes up the animals at the Central Park Zoo? What do they have for breakfast? Following a light breakfast and animal-themed activities, children and caregivers will find answers to these questions when you visit the exhibits and watch as animals receive their breakfast! For families with kids aged 3 – 6.
Book tickets for an Exploration of the Wild. Take a walk on the wild side! Families discover amazing animal adaptations and survival strategies around the Zoo through fun activities and live animal encounters. Children and caregivers get up close to various animals in the Zoo, help prepare animal treats and understand how keepers care for them each day. For children aged 6 – 10. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Central Park Zoo Promo Code
Looking for Central Park Zoo discount tickets? Buy tickets online and save.
Check their website for a 10% off Central Park Zoo Coupon
Central Park Zoo Gift Shop
Visit the Zootique to shop for unique and wild items, including plush animals and children’s books, as well as toys, games, and more.
Photos of Central Park Zoo New York
Photos of Central Park Childrens Zoo
The Inside Scoop – New York Zoo in Central Park
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars.
Address: The Central Park zoo is located at 64th Street and 5th Avenue, New York NY 10065
Website: NYC zoo
- 10am to 4.30pm (Winter hours). Last entry is 30 minutes before closing.
- The Central Park Zoo is open 365 days a year, and the animals are on exhibit all year-round
- Adults over 13 years $19.95
- Children 3-12 years $14.95
- Senior 65 & over $16.95
- Under 2 FREE
- Admission fees include entrance to the Main Zoo and Children’s Zoo, and 1 entry to the 4D theater.
- Cash and all major credit cards accepted at the booth.
How to get to Central Park Zoo:
- Click here for details by bus, by subway, and by car. Includes Central Park Zoo parking.
- The Central Park Zoo is located near numerous subway and bus stops. You can take the N/R/Q or 6 trains, or the M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M66, or Q32 buses.
Central Park Zoo Map
Click here for a downloadable Central Park Zoo Map to plan your day.\
Where to eat and drink: Rest and re-fuel at the Dancing Crane Cafe. High-quality meals, snacks, beverages, and desserts that include carefully prepared fresh and healthy choices on offer.
Disability access: Yes
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: No
- Yes, you can bring your own stroller. Some buildings and exhibits request that you stow your stroller in a designated area before entering.
- There are no lockers to rent.
Central park Zoo was last reviewed in November 2018.
Toadstool Rating- NYC Zoo
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.