Billy Johnson Playground. Updated 2018.
Where in New York City can you find a playground with a super-dooper fun granite stone slippery dip?
This slide is double the fun when you ride down on a piece of cardboard. BYO, or borrow a piece from a fellow family and you are all set.
This Central Park playground is one for your list if you are visiting NYC with a toddler.
- 1 The Slide at Billy Johnson Playground New York City
- 2 Nature Play in this Central Park Children’s Playground NYC
- 3 Billy Johnson Playground Restoration – Park due to reopen September 1st 2018
- 4 Best Playground in Central Park Manhattan?
- 5 Central Park Playground Map
- 6 Central Park Swings for toddlers
- 7 The Inside Scoop – Billy Johnson Playground
- 8 Central Park Map – Billy Johnson Playground
- 9 Toadstool Rating.
- 10 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
The Slide at Billy Johnson Playground New York City
The Billy Johnson playground slide made from granite is by far the most popular feature at this park, and the boys spent over an hour racing up through the log maze and back down the slide.
Things only got better when a new friend gifted Ned his old piece of cardboard. Then it was time to whizz down the slide even faster!
Nature Play in this Central Park Children’s Playground NYC
There’s all kinds of opportunities for imaginative play at the Billy Johnson Playground, and nature play is just one of them.
You’ll also find:
- bucket swings
- a small amphitheater, ideal for picnics and other gatherings.
- a sandpit with ‘walk the plank’ benches for running along, or sitting upon – BYO sand toys
- a stone bridge (the ideal Troll Bridge for fun storytelling games)
- hide-and-seek pockets of fun
Billy Johnson Playground Restoration – Park due to reopen September 1st 2018
Yes, The Billy Johnson Playground, located in the park near East 67th Street, is currently undergoing a restoration to add several new features, including new water jets.
The renovation, expected to be completed by Summer 2018, will enhance the playground’s current rustic and natural design by architect M. Paul Friedberg in the 1980s.
Other new features of the playground will include a climbing net, a second granite slide, and new swings.
Billy Johnson Playground is closed for reconstruction until August 31, 2018
Best Playground in Central Park Manhattan?
It’s definitely one of the best, because of that epic slide! No other Central Park playground has a slide like it.
This is definitely a place to visit if you are in NYC with toddlers and preschoolers, and looking for a Central Park Adventure Playground.
The best thing is it is gated, and you can see the kids from almost anywhere in the park, unless they are hiding of course!
Central Park Playground Map
If you are on a Playground Hunt, check out this map of Central Park playgrounds.
Central Park Swings for toddlers
The Inside Scoop – Billy Johnson Playground
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Billy Johnson playground is at East Side at 67th Street
Telephone: 212-310-6600 – Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Website: Billy Johnson playground – Central Park Organisation
Opening Hours: Central Park is free and open to visitors 365 days a year. Central Park opens at 6:00 am and closes at 1:00 am. Billy Johnson playground hours are from 8am to dusk.
Entry Fees: Free
Parking: There is no parking in Central Park. Many parking garages are available nearby.
How to get there: Subway to Central Park.
- By Subway Train: Q train (Yellow line)Stop at Lexington Av – 63 St Subway Station
- By Subway Train: 4,5,6 Train (Green line) 68 Street Station
- On Foot: Enter at the 65th street
- By Taxi/Uber: Exit at 65th and 5th Ave
Central Park Map – Billy Johnson Playground
Interactive Central Park Map: Find cafes, toilets, playgrounds and more here.
Nearest takeaway coffee and food options: Dancing Crane Cafe
- Featuring a wide variety of meals, snacks, and beverages for both Park and Zoo visitors. Indoor and outdoor seating.
Toilets: No. Closest toilets are at the Dancing Crane Cafe, or at Conservatory Water.
Disability access: Limited. It’s a bumpy, lumpy playground. There are no wheelchairs or scooters available for rent inside the Park.
Shade: No shade sail. Trees only.
Ground cover: Concrete pathways, sand, rubber flooring under swings
Picnic tables: No.
Electric BBQs: No
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes, BYO. Plenty of bike and scooter pathways in Central Park.
This playground was last reviewed in June 2018.
This is a classic NYC playground in Central Park. Make a beeline for it.
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.