Diana Ross Playground. Updated 2018.
This is one of the best Central Park Playgrounds in NYC for adventurers.
The centrepiece of the playground is a GIANT SIZED timber fort structure, that has – in my mind – a likeness to the “Giant’s Causeway” natural wonder in Ireland created of hexagonal, lava-forged rocks.
It’s the upright timbers of varying heights that does it.
- 1 The Diana Ross Playground in Central Park New York
- 2 What you’ll find at the Diana Ross Playground Central Park
- 3 Central Park Playground Swings
- 4 Water Play at Diana Ross Park
- 5 Central Park Swings
- 6 Central Park Water Playground
- 7 The Inside Scoop – Manhattan Playgrounds in New York with Kids
- 8 Diana Ross Playground Map
- 9 Toadstool Rating.
- 10 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
The Diana Ross Playground in Central Park New York
The boys see something different. To them, the Diana Ross Playground is a parkour-lover’s dream destination.
Whatever you and your bunch see, the Diana Ross Playground is tonnes of fun for kids of all ages.
Surrounded by a colossal ring of bench seating, this Central Park playground deserves a mention, and a visit.
Of note, the Diana Ross playground was funded by singer Diana Ross after her historic Great Lawn concert in 1983! What a gal.
What you’ll find at the Diana Ross Playground Central Park
- The aforementioned timber fort. Of varying levels and heights, with ascending stairs and platforms, balance beams and ladders, and log bridges and swing bridges, the timber fort is THE playground for a game of hide-and-seek with new friends in Central park.
- There’s a medieval feel to the fort, just right for children who love to dress up as Kings, Queens and Jesters for imaginative play
- One giant sandbox hides within the fort structure as underfoot soft fall. BYO sandpit toys.
- A super-long and super-high metal slide was Ned’s favourite thing of all
- There’s a bunch of smaller metal slides for younger children too, plus a covered slide, and a twirly corkscrew slide.
Visit in the late afternoon and be bathed in magnificent golden light!
Central Park Playground Swings
The Diana Ross playground has two tyre swings, plus a row of bucket seat swings separated from the main playground by a fence.
Water Play at Diana Ross Park
The hexagonal water play area at the playground is chocka block with kids in summer. It’s a fave spot to beat the heat.
Central Park Swings
Central Park Water Playground
The Inside Scoop – Manhattan Playgrounds in New York with Kids
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: The Diana Ross playground is located inside the park at West 81st Street and Central Park West.
Telephone: +1 212-310-6600
Website: Diana Ross Playground at Central Park
Opening Hours: 8am to dusk
Entry Fees: Free
How to get there:
- By Bus: M10 bus to Central PK w/w 79 St
- By Subway Train: Take the B or C train to 81st St-Museum of Natural History
- On Foot: 25 minutes wander from Heckscher Playground
- By Car/Taxi/Uber: Disembark at Central Park West & W 81st St
Parking: Many parking garages are available nearby.
Diana Ross Playground Map
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Good Enough to Eat Cafe at 520 Columbus Ave, New York. All-day menu of updated American comfort fare served in casual, farmhouse-themed cafe.
Toilets: No. Closest at the American Museum of Natural History, or across the park at Conservatory Water.
Disability access: Limited.
Closest ATM: Citibank ATM across the road at 441 Columbus Ave, New York
Ground cover: Timber platforms, sand soft fall, gravel, recycled rubber
Picnic tables: No, but lots of bench seating
Electric BBQs: No
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes
This playground was last reviewed in July 2018.
Pop this on your list of Central Park playgrounds to discover. Make it a must-do stop by on the way home from your visit to the Children’s Museum of Manhattan.
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.