INSIDE: The ULTIMATE GUIDE on what to buy in Rome including the best Italy souvenirs. Updated 2019. Looking for things to buy in Rome for souvenirs and gifts for friends and family? Here’s the ultimate list of our ‘What to Buy in Rome’ shopping ideas. We’ve included: the best toys to buy in Rome (and […]
Thank you for stopping by ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
We're on a mission to find all the SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in Rome with Kids, and put them in one easy-to-find place on the internet in English!
Rome with Kids is a hoot. There's pizza for starters. Plenty of pizza. (Hot tip: THIS is the best pizza in Rome)
And pasta too. So that takes care of the fussy eaters. There's little chance of a toddler throwing a HANGRY tantrum either. Rome for the win.
You can visit the very cool Explora Children's Museum in Rome - it's within walking distance of our favourite Roman park, the Villa Borghese.
And we found the best street for buying Italian leather handbags in Rome.
Did I mention ITALIAN THICK HOT CHOCOLATE?
Our best tips for travelling in Rome with kids?
Italians are the best.
Friendly, happy to help, kind. The best locals in the world to meet.
Ask a question, and they'll be sure to answer you with way more detail than you expected.
If you are planning to visit ROME with kids, Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Check out our Ultimate City Guide to Rome
Family Hotels in Rome
Trevi Independent Suites
We adored our stay at the Trevi Independent Suites in Rome. This AirBNB apartment was METRES away from the Trevi Fountain. We know, because we stumbled upon it on our first early morning exploration of the local area. We'd stay there again because the location cannot be beat. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Rome Cavalieri Hotel
The Rome Cavalieri Hotel has a KIDS CLUB! (It's one of the only ones you'll find in the city.) Which means you can leave them - guilt free- at the hotel while you head out for a bit of grown-up exploring. Sounds good to me. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Getting around Rome
Eating in Rome with Kids
- The Top 10 Italian dishes to try in Rome with kids!
The best things to do in Rome with kids
- Hands down, the winner of the best things to do in Rome competition would be signing up for Gladiator training. This experience continues to top our list of amazing adventures we've had travelling. It's not cheap but make it happen. Bringing history to life is worth every cent.
- Our other favourite thing to do in Rome on our last trip was to jump onto one of the electric pedal-powered cars in Villa Borghese Gardens to explore the place thoroughly. Hot tip: take cash to sign up.
- Make your very own Trevi Fountain wish before you leave this historical city. It's said to guarantee you'll one day return.
- See ALL the Pinocchio possibilities at this cute Pinocchio toy shop.
Iconic Sights in Rome
- The Piazza Navona has lots going for it. Take a look at our review.
- If you are wondering what things to see in Rome with kids, we recommend the Spanish Steps. We literally stumbled upon them.
- Check out the street entertainment in the Piazza del Popolo on your way to the Children's Museum. (It's just a few hundred metres away). We love this piazza - it's less touristy than many of the other sites in Rome, and definitely more of a local's hangout. The space is welcome too - kids can let off steam here without worrying about annoying anyone or running into traffic. We love this Rome piazza.
- Taking the kids to see the Colosseum is a no-brainer. Don't be like us and arrive with only an hour to spare. This should be first up on your itinerary. Hot tip: Watch out for pickpockets near the outrageously expensive ice-cream vendors positioned outside the Colosseum. Skip the icy treat here, and head back into town to find one of the more affordable gelato bars.
Shopping in Rome
- One of our most loved posts is our guide to the TOP 5 Italy souvenirs and gift ideas you can buy in Rome.
- The Pinocchio shop in Rome is our go-to place for cute souvenirs and home decor for kids and kids-at-heart.
- Should you or shouldn't you go to the Porta Portese markets in Trastevere? Read our review to find out our thoughts on it.
- Need to buy toys or souvenirs for kids in Rome? Little Big Town Toy Store in Rome has all the local brands and Italian favourites too.
Walks and Gardens in Rome
- The Villa Borghese Gardens are a hidden treasure but boy, it's not easy to find the entrance! Follow our tips and you'll wander past our favourite leather handbag shopping street too.
- Here's a list of our top 10 things to do in Villa Borghese gardens with kids. We highly recommend a visit here. We love this park.
- Villa Borghese is home to a retro games arcade too. This unexpected find is great fun. Take a look at our review here.
Holidaying in Europe with Kids
Tripping around Europe with kids? Take a look at these other cities below.
(I know. London is not technically Europe, but close enough)
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter - it's FULL to the brim of new travel inspo!
(We promise never to spam you. We only share SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration from around the world. We believe you love this kind of info as much as we do.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. This means if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.
Take a wander over the cobblestones in Rome with us below...
Best Pizza in Rome? If you are looking for the best pizza in Rome by-the-slice , then take our advice and visit Pizza Florida. We stumbled upon this place accidentally and by golly, were we glad. The pizza here definitely gets our vote for best pizza in Rome, and we ate a LOT of pizza […]
Rome Places to Visit with Kids One of the must-do tourist attractions in Rome is the Piazza Navona. Built on the Stadium of Domitian back in the 1st Century AD, the Piazza Navona is an example of Baroque architecture with three famous fountains in the open space in the centre of the stadium-like piazza. […]
Looking for THE best place to stay in Rome? If you are travelling with kids, we think we’ve found it. If you like to travel in style, even when you have the kids in tow, then this luxe hotel might just be the best place to stay in Rome. With views across the city, […]
If you are wanting to make a bucket list of the foods to try in Italy, we’ve got a few suggestions for you! Here’s our list of the top 10 italian dishes you must eat in Rome with kids. Italian Traditions – Food and Fun! These top 10 italian dishes may add a […]
One of the most popular things to see in Rome is the Roman Baroque style urban monument, the Spanish Steps. We came upon this beautiful butterfly-shaped Rome attraction accidentally, on our mission to find a way up to the Villa Borghese gardens from the Explora Rome Children’s Museum, and it was the hundreds of tourists […]
In the north of the city lies the glorious Piazza del Popolo, a gigantic open-air publich square whose name means ‘People’s Square” . The Piazza Del Popolo is situated on the northern gate of the old city, at Porta Flaminia. The size of this piazza draws those visitors and locals alike who wish for a […]
The Hidden Gem of Rome – Villa Borghese Gardens The Rome Villa Borghese Gardens is a hidden gem, north of the city and high up above the Piazza dei Popolo. The Borghese Gardens cover an area of over 197 acres or 80 hectares, and is the third largest park in Rome. Roam the […]