Porta Portese Market – the Overrated One. One of our favourite things to do when visiting a new country as family travellers is to find the best flea markets in town. It’s THE quickest way to meet the locals, see where the locals hang out, and get off the tourist track. But finding Rome […]
Thank you for stopping by ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
We're on a mission to find all the SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in Rome with Kids, and put them in one easy-to-find place on the internet in English!
Rome with Kids is a hoot. There's pizza for starters. Plenty of pizza. (Hot tip: THIS is the best pizza in Rome)
And pasta too. So that takes care of the fussy eaters. There's little chance of a toddler throwing a HANGRY tantrum either. Rome for the win.
You can visit the very cool Explora Children's Museum in Rome - it's within walking distance of our favourite Roman park, the Villa Borghese.
And we found the best street for buying Italian leather handbags in Rome.
Did I mention ITALIAN THICK HOT CHOCOLATE?
Our best tips for travelling in Rome with kids?
Italians are the best.
Friendly, happy to help, kind. The best locals in the world to meet.
Ask a question, and they'll be sure to answer you with way more detail than you expected.
If you are planning to visit ROME with kids, Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Check out our Ultimate City Guide to Rome
Family Hotels in Rome
Trevi Independent Suites
We adored our stay at the Trevi Independent Suites in Rome. This AirBNB apartment was METRES away from the Trevi Fountain. We know, because we stumbled upon it on our first early morning exploration of the local area. We'd stay there again because the location cannot be beat. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Rome Cavalieri Hotel
The Rome Cavalieri Hotel has a KIDS CLUB! (It's one of the only ones you'll find in the city.) Which means you can leave them - guilt free- at the hotel while you head out for a bit of grown-up exploring. Sounds good to me. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Getting around Rome
Eating in Rome with Kids
- The Top 10 Italian dishes to try in Rome with kids!
The best things to do in Rome with kids
- Hands down, the winner of the best things to do in Rome competition would be signing up for Gladiator training. This experience continues to top our list of amazing adventures we've had travelling. It's not cheap but make it happen. Bringing history to life is worth every cent.
- Our other favourite thing to do in Rome on our last trip was to jump onto one of the electric pedal-powered cars in Villa Borghese Gardens to explore the place thoroughly. Hot tip: take cash to sign up.
- Make your very own Trevi Fountain wish before you leave this historical city. It's said to guarantee you'll one day return.
- See ALL the Pinocchio possibilities at this cute Pinocchio toy shop.
Iconic Sights in Rome
- The Piazza Navona has lots going for it. Take a look at our review.
- If you are wondering what things to see in Rome with kids, we recommend the Spanish Steps. We literally stumbled upon them.
- Check out the street entertainment in the Piazza del Popolo on your way to the Children's Museum. (It's just a few hundred metres away). We love this piazza - it's less touristy than many of the other sites in Rome, and definitely more of a local's hangout. The space is welcome too - kids can let off steam here without worrying about annoying anyone or running into traffic. We love this Rome piazza.
- Taking the kids to see the Colosseum is a no-brainer. Don't be like us and arrive with only an hour to spare. This should be first up on your itinerary. Hot tip: Watch out for pickpockets near the outrageously expensive ice-cream vendors positioned outside the Colosseum. Skip the icy treat here, and head back into town to find one of the more affordable gelato bars.
Shopping in Rome
- One of our most loved posts is our guide to the TOP 5 Italy souvenirs and gift ideas you can buy in Rome.
- The Pinocchio shop in Rome is our go-to place for cute souvenirs and home decor for kids and kids-at-heart.
- Should you or shouldn't you go to the Porta Portese markets in Trastevere? Read our review to find out our thoughts on it.
- Need to buy toys or souvenirs for kids in Rome? Little Big Town Toy Store in Rome has all the local brands and Italian favourites too.
Walks and Gardens in Rome
- The Villa Borghese Gardens are a hidden treasure but boy, it's not easy to find the entrance! Follow our tips and you'll wander past our favourite leather handbag shopping street too.
- Here's a list of our top 10 things to do in Villa Borghese gardens with kids. We highly recommend a visit here. We love this park.
- Villa Borghese is home to a retro games arcade too. This unexpected find is great fun. Take a look at our review here.
Holidaying in Europe with Kids
Tripping around Europe with kids? Take a look at these other cities below.
(I know. London is not technically Europe, but close enough)
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter - it's FULL to the brim of new travel inspo!
(We promise never to spam you. We only share SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration from around the world. We believe you love this kind of info as much as we do.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. This means if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.
Take a wander over the cobblestones in Rome with us below...
Gladiator Training in Rome for Kids and Families Rome, lovely Rome. How I heart you, you divine juxtaposition of old and new, culture and religion, gelato and pizza. It’s a WOW spot of historical significance and impressiveness- the Colosseum, the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain… everyone needs to go at least […]
Gift Shopping – Toy Stores in Rome When you are in Rome with children in tow, you might find yourself, like we did, looking for toy stores in Rome. Toy Stores in Rome – Little Big Town On one of our walking explorations, we stumbled upon this one, Little Big Town. Several […]
Step back in time at this unexpected retro arcade game hall, Piccolo Slalom, in Park Villa Borghese, Rome. Park Villa Borghese, or Villa Borghese in Rome, as most people call it, is not one of Rome’s ‘must-do’ tourist attractions but we think it should be on the list, especially if you are travelling with […]
Looking for things to do in Rome with kids? This is one of our favourite things for family travel adventures! The Rome Villa Borghese is home to a Hire Cart Stand, called Bici Pinico. This hire cart stand has electric-powered ‘riscios’ or rickshaws for hire, along with bicycles, and mountain bikes. The pedal car […]
10 SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do with kids at the Villa Borghese Rome. The Villa Borghese Rome was an unexpected hidden treasure on our last trip to Rome! Not that finding the entrance was very easy… although we could SEE the walls of the Rome Villa Borghese from the Explora Children’s Museum, we […]
What to Do in Rome with Kids If are looking for things to do in Rome with kids, you MUST visit the unparalleled children’s museum, Explora Il Museo – Dei Bambini Di Roma, in Rome. This is our family travel favourite of the tourist attractions in rome for kids – this gigantic children’s museum […]
Rome is one of our favourite places to travel with kids. It has everything. Culture, history, beautiful architecture, green parks to run around in, and finger-licking good food for the kids. Pizza by the slice, spaghetti galore, gelato, nutella crepes, Italian hot chocolate… They will be spellbound. The challenge when travelling with kids is […]