FDNY Store and FDNY Fire Zone. Updated 2018.
The wailing sirens and flashing lights bring the fun of dressing up in a firefighter’s outfit and ‘driving’ the life-size fire truck to life!
If the sirens and lights haven’t gone off during your visit, ask the staff to set them off.
It’s the highlight of the place. Plus, you can buy official FDNY logo clothing and more here too!
- 1 The FDNY Fire Zone Attraction
- 2 The FDNY Store
- 3 FDNY Fire Safety Learning Center
- 4 FDNY Fire Museum
- 5 Fire Simulator at FDNY Fire Zone
- 6 New York Attractions near the FDNY Fire Zone?
- 7 FDNY Fire Zone Photos
- 8 The Inside Scoop – FDNY Fire Zone Store
- 9 FDNY Fire Zone Map
- 10 Toadstool Rating.
- 11 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
The FDNY Fire Zone Attraction
First up, this place is NOT the same place as the New York City Fire Museum!
(That museum is at 278 Spring Street, about a kilometre north of the One World Trade Center building, in the Greenwich Village area.)
The FDNY Fire Zone in the Rockefeller Center is an interactive play space for kids and families to learn more about fire safety through hands-on activities and dress ups.
The FDNY Store
It also has the FDNY official store full of souvenirs with FDNY logos. The FDNY store NYC is run by the FDNY Foundation in association with the New York City Fire Dept.
The Store is the place to pick up all your licensed FDNY clothing and souvenirs. It’s not very big, but they have quite the selection.
- FDNY clothing and FDNY apparel
- FDNY shirts
- FDNY hoodie
- FDNY t shirts
- FDNY stickers
- FDNY fleece jacket
- stuffed toy dogs
- fire-themed toys
- FDNY books
- FDNY model fire trucks
- FDNY wrist bands
- FDNY coffee mugs
- FDNY flags
- FDNY miniatures and ornaments
- the official FDNY firefighter calendar
All with the FDNY logo.
FDNY Fire Safety Learning Center
The New York Fire Zone is also New York City’s state-of-the-art fire-safety learning center.
At the New York Fire Zone, kids can:
- climb on a realistic fire truck and get behind the wheel
- play with the buttons in the fire truck cabin and pop on a seatbelt too
- dress up in real fire fighter outfits (bunker gear jackets)
- meet a real NYC firefighter
- touch hands-on exhibits to learn about fire
If you ask nicely, the staff will give the kids a coloring in book too!
FDNY Fire Museum
- check out the FDNY helmet displays
- see if your country’s firefighter logo patch is on the wall of embroidered “Coat of Arms” patches from Fire Departments around the world
Fire Simulator at FDNY Fire Zone
At the heart of the Fire Zone experience is a simulated fire experience, for kids 5 and over, and their families. (Younger children are welcome to join in if you think they won’t be too scared.)
The innovative fire simulator uses special effects and multimedia to help teach visitors about fire safety, and what to do in case of a fire emergency. A retired NYC firefighter leads the way, along with a facilitator guide to walk visitors through the interactive presentation.
The goal of the presentation is to make sure you know how to eliminate fire hazards in your home. They also want you to get serious about creating an fire escape plan for your family.
New York Attractions near the FDNY Fire Zone?
Midtown is the home of the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, iconic public buildings like Grand Central Terminal and the New York Public Library, and it’s all within 5 minutes walk of the FDNY Fire Zone.
You can also browse the iconic fashionable boutiques of Fifth Avenue and visit the Rockefeller Center to experience towering Art Deco grandeur.
FDNY Fire Zone Photos
The Inside Scoop – FDNY Fire Zone Store
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: The FDNY Store location is located at Rockefeller Center, adjacent to Radio City Music Hall.
- The street address is 34 West 51st Street , New York, NY 10020.
- It’s between 5th and 6th avenue, just next to the Radio City Music Hall.
- Look up – the FDNY flag above is the signal you are in the right place. You’ll find the FDNY Fire Zone NYC attraction on site too.
FDNY phone number: +1 212-698-4520
Website: Fire Department New York Fire Zone website
- Monday – Saturday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Sunday: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- General admission to the FDNY Store and FDNY Fire Zone is free.
- The Fire-Safety Presentation is $6.00 for adults and children and $2.00 for seniors.
- Those with a New York Pass can attend the Fire Safety Presentation for FREE!
- The Fire Zone is an activity included in the City Pass too.
How to get there:
- By Bus: M5 or Q32 along 5th Ave. Disembark at 5 Av/w 50 St. Or M7 to Av of the Americas/w 51 St
- By Subway Train: D or F line to 47-50 Streets – Rockefeller Center station. Or a 1 or 2 train to 50th St station.
- By Car/Taxi/Uber: Disembark at Rockefeller Center on West 51st street between 5th and 6th Ave.
Parking: Many parking garages are available nearby.
FDNY Fire Zone Map
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Tonnes of family-friendly food and drink options in and around the Rockefeller center.
Disability access: The FDNY Fire Zone is fully wheelchair accessible.
Closest playground: Heckscher Playground at Central Park south
The FDNY Fire Zone was last reviewed in December 2017.
Pop in to shop a whole range of FDNY souvenirs for friends and family.
Plus, if the kids are super interested in the world of NY firefighters, it’s a fun hour or so.
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.