INSIDE: Paris with Children? Must do – Jardin du Luxembourg Garden Playground. Updated 2018.
Beautiful, elegant Paris is an iconic city full of architecture, history, culture and fashionable style, and I love to wander the city streets for hours on end to find hidden pockets of treasure.
BUT, when travelling with kids, we’ve learned the hard way that exploration must be balanced with adventurous play, and a chance to run off steam. This Paris playground, the Luxembourg Gardens playground, lets them do just that.
When you find yourself in times of trouble, head straight to the Parc De Jeux at the Jardin du Luxembourg Gardens!
It’s the ULTIMATE Kids Paris Playground in the city.
- 1 In Paris with Children? Paris Playgrounds are Fun!
- 2 Luxembourg Gardens Playground is divided up into a number of play areas.
- 3 Jardin de Luxembourg playground is GATED! (Claps hands in glee!)
- 4 Video of Jardin Du Luxembourg Playground, Paris with kids
- 5 Sweets & Souvenir Kiosk
- 6 Children’s Theatre next door!
- 7 A Must Do for Family Vacations in Paris – Make a day of it.
- 8 Photos of Jardin Du Luxembourg Playground
- 9 The Inside Scoop – Paris for Kids
- 10 Map of Playground Luxembourg Gardens – Kids Paris
- 11 Toadstool Rating – Jardin du Luxembourg Playground Paris for Children
- 12 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do with Kids in Paris?
In Paris with Children? Paris Playgrounds are Fun!
The fabulous Jardin du Luxembourg Garden is home to one of the biggest and best playgrounds in Paris.
Set deep within the Jardin du Luxembourg gardens, a 17th-century park with formally laid-out gardens, trees planted in patterns and statues on pedestals, it’s this little oasis of play equipment, colour and laughter.
My boys, Roam the Gnome and I, loved it!
Luxembourg Gardens Playground is divided up into a number of play areas.
It’s also colour coded for the different age ranges.
Jardin de Luxembourg playground is GATED! (Claps hands in glee!)
Jardin du Luxembourg Playground for Toddlers. There’s:
- a ‘train’ to hop aboard
- a ‘car’ and ‘tear-drop caravan’ to drive
- a fort to climb
- bouncy rockers
- and slides.
Some of this equipment is set in a large sandpit, so if you have buckets and spades with you, bring them along.
There’s also some buckets on a pulley rope attached to one of the forts for those who like to dig and scoop.
Jardin du Luxembourg Playground for Preschoolers and Big Kids:
- there’s a gigantic climbing frame and multi-level fort with wide slides
- tunnel slides to zip down
- climbing nets
- a whirly spinning disk to ride
- PLUS, the BEST circular “flying fox” zipline ride we’ve ever seen in a playground. (Check out our little video below!)
Video of Jardin Du Luxembourg Playground, Paris with kids
When we last visited on our family vacation, the ground under the trees on the approach to the playground was a little dry, dusty and gravelly, and there was little grass or greenery throughout the gardens at all, but don’t let that put you off. It’s part of the charm of Paris.
Sweets & Souvenir Kiosk
And, is there anything better than a playground that has a little souvenir and sweet lolly shop attached too? My boys don’t think so!
Children’s Theatre next door!
The fenced children’s playground, Parc De Jeux at the Jardin du Luxembourg Gardens, is located next to a Children’s Theatre.
Marionnettes du Luxembourg Théâtre has 40 minute long performances on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and school holidays.
The retro-style theatre is covered and heated, and is the perfect escape from cooler weather.
A Must Do for Family Vacations in Paris – Make a day of it.
There’s plenty of stuff to do in the Jardin du Luxembourg garden surrounds themselves too. Click here for our TOP TEN things to do with kids at Jardin Du Luxembourg Gardens.
We really do think these Paris gardens and particularly the playground is something to put on your “Things to do with the Kids in Paris” List today. The family will adore it.
Photos of Jardin Du Luxembourg Playground
The Inside Scoop – Paris for Kids
Times and prices correct at time of publication (July 2018).
Please check with the venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Rue de Médicis – Rue de Vaugirard 75006 Paris. The Luxembourg Gardens are located in the 6th arrondissement near Sorbonne University.
Phone: +33 (0) 1 42 64 33 99
Website: Paris Tourist Information
Closest takeaway coffee: There are several kiosks selling beverages, confectionery, food and toys in various parts of the Jardin du Luxembourg.
Opening Hours (Season and weather dependent)
- We visited during late March and it was open from 10am to 5:45pm. The staff change the sign each day to notify families.
- The Jardin du Luxembourg gardens gates allow entry and are open between 7.30am and 8.15am, and closes between 4.30pm and 9.30pm according to season. (Shorter hours November through March. Longer hours from April through October)
- Child 2,50 Euro
- Adult (one time entry, but you can ask for pass outs) 1,50 Euro
- Babies under 15 months FREE
How to get to Jardin du Luxembourg Gardens:
- By Subway: Odéon station
- By RER Train: Luxembourg station
- By Bus: Numbers 21, 27, 38, 58, 82, 83, 84, 85, 89 all bring you to the Luxembourg Gardens
Map of Playground Luxembourg Gardens – Kids Paris
Toilets: Yes, on site.
Disability access: Limited.
Shade: Limited, under trees. BYO hats and sunscreen
Ground cover: Concrete tiles, sand under toddler zone
Food options: Food and beverage kiosks can be found throughout the park. BYO picnic and snacks. BYO water bottles.
Seating: Yes, plenty of seating throughout playground. Some is undercover.
Stroller and pram parking: Yes, undercover
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes
This Paris Playground was last reviewed in November 2018.
Toadstool Rating – Jardin du Luxembourg Playground Paris for Children
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do with Kids in Paris?
Click the links in blue below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.