INSIDE: Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park. Updated 2018.
Named as one of Time Out New York Kids 25 Best Playgrounds in New York City, this exciting playground features climbing equipment, slides, water and sand play, and a model boat hull the kids can captain.
Best of all, there’s EIGHT SEASONAL WATER FEATURES!
- 1 Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground
- 2 More Things to Do Near Pier 51 in New York
- 3 Photos of Hudson River Park Playground
- 4 The Inside Scoop – Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
- 5 Map of Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
- 6 Toadstool Rating- Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51
- 7 Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground
The Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground is creatively styled in the theme of a boat harbour. The highlight of the Pier 51 playground is the waterscape channel that winds it way through the play area. On hot summer days, this water trough fills and children delight in scampering through.
On cold winter days, kids use their imagination to sail pretend boats and play pirates sailing the seas. Aye Aye Captain.
At Pier 51 playground, you’ll also find:
- A flag-topped fort with a wheelchair accessible ramp to run up
- Timber forts with rock climbing slopes, platforms, swing bridges, and monkey bars
- Twirly slides
- A Model Boat hull for imaginative play
- 8 water features in total
The best thing about this Hudson River Park playground are the views of New York City skyline, and the harbour. It’s spectacular, especially when the golden afternoon light shines down.
More Things to Do Near Pier 51 in New York
Check out the:
- Pier 25 Playground with giant scramble net and sea-themed sandpit
- Pier 46 Lawn Turf. Kick a footy or go for a run. You can also spy the fish habitat at the end of the pier.
- Pier 54 Bike Park. Learn to ride a bike in a safe, car-free area with free daily bike education classes and programs for kids and adults. Preregistration required.
Photos of Hudson River Park Playground
The Inside Scoop – Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars.
**The Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51 is currently undergoing restoration and will reopen in Summer 2019.**
Address: Pier 51 Playground is located at the intersection of Jane St and West St. Pedestrian crossings at W.12th St or Horatio St on either side of Pier 51 playground.
Website: Click here
Opening Hours: 8am to 6pm
Entry Fees: Free
Map of Pier 51 Playground at Hudson River Park
Disability access: Yes
Shade: No. BYO sunscreen and hats for sure.
Ground cover: Rubber soft fall, concrete pathways
Picnic tables: Bench seating inside the playground. Picnic areas close by.
Electric BBQs: No
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes (to ride along the Hudson River Greenway)
The Hudson River Park Pier 51 Playground was last reviewed in November 2018.
Toadstool Rating- Hudson River Park Playground at Pier 51
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.