Studio Plus New York. Updated 2018.
Eight nights smack bang in the centre of New York City was never going to be cheap.
But New York is New York, and it was on our list, so we prepared ourselves to compromise.
- Giving up room space for a cheaper rate.
- Swapping sought-after locations for more affordability.
- Ditching all but the most necessary of inclusions.
Then we found Studio Plus New York, and for the same price as hotels kilometres away from the action, we found a studio apartment in the centre of Manhattan.
It fit our budget, the quilt covers were new, the wall art stickers was their attempt at hotel cool, and the best bit of all, it was an epic location for our planned itinerary – a family vacation in New York with kids.
Studio Plus New York – Extended Stay Hotel
Studio Plus New York is not your ordinary hotel. It’s an extended stay hotel / apartment block, so you’ll meet all kinds of people in the elevator.
- Newcomers to NYC trying their luck.
- Foreigners visiting family in New York City for a few months.
- Newly arrived workers who stay while seeking their new house.
And tourists of course.
New York Attractions
$225.00 a night AUD for a family of three was a bargain for a hotel so close to all the tourist attractions.
- Macy’s Department Store
- Madison Square Garden
- Eataly NYC
- Flatiron Building
- Empire State Building
- Bryant Park
- Grand Central Terminal
- Top of the Rock
- Rockefeller Center
- American Girl Place Cafe where your kids can enjoy Afternoon Tea with their doll in tow!
Times Square and Broadway is less than a 15 minute walk away. NY Studio Plus is centre of the universe as far as New York apartments go.
What you’ll find at NY Studio Plus
- There’s a 24 hour security guard on site, although that term should be interpreted a little loosely.
- There’s a coin-operated laundry downstairs. BYO laundry liquid and basket.
- For those tea lovers like me, there’s a two burner stove, and a KETTLE! Holy moly, that’s a first in America.
- There’s a sofa bed for the kids, and a flat screen tv so they can watch all their favourite American cartoons while you get ready for the day.
The apartment has a kitchenette with a fridge and cupboards, although why anyone would cook in New York City is beyond me when there are cheap and affordable cafes, diners, deli’s, Wendy’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, and pizza bars on every single corner. There’s always somewhere low-key and casual for family dining at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
It’s basic, but it’s liveable, and clean. Most importantly, the location means that NY Studio Plus is excellent value for money.
Our shot of the exterior of the Studio Plus NYC on a surprise snow day in New York City!
Budget Family Accommodation in New York City
It’s the exact type of budget family accommodation in New York you need when you plan to spend most of your days exploring the city.
The Inside Scoop – Studio Plus NYC
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Studio Plus New York Extended Stay Apartments are located at 38 West 31 Street, New York NY 10001
Website: Studio Plus Apartments New York
How to get there:
- By Bus: Closest bus stop is W 31 St/6 Av , or Av of the Americas (6th Avenue) and w 31 St. Aim for Forever 21 fashion store on 6th Avenue., or Macy’s department store. Studio Plus Hotel New York City is 3 blocks south.
- By Subway Train: Closest subway station is 28th Street on the Q or R (yellow line) subway train and walk 5 minutes.
- By Car/Taxi/Uber: Disembark at West 31st Street between 5th and 6th Avenue. There’s a Dunkin Donuts/Subway on the 5th Avenue corner as a reference.
Parking: No parking available on site
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Speedy’s NYC Takeaway Deli is very close to NY Studio Plus apartments, and a great option for tired kids when you just want to grab and go. For coffee, the Dunkin’ Donuts at the end of the street is your closest saviour.
Toilets: Yes, own bathroom and toilet
Disability access: Yes
Closest ATM: There’s a Wells Fargo ATM behind Speedy’s cafe.
Closest playground: Heckscher Playground in Central Park South
- Studio Plus New York has FREE WIFI in all rooms.
- Expect to pay a $175 US cleaning fee. Add this to your quote before booking so it’s not a surprise.
- The cancellation policy is rubbish, with no free cancellation, and high cancellation charges. It’s a risk but if all goes to plan, a non-issue.
- There’s a lack of cupboard space so you will have to use the floor to store your suitcases.
- There’s a chain lock on the inside of your apartment door which is a nice touch as a safety precaution for families.
- We advise to keep your valuables with you during the day (passports, money etc) just in case.
- You can store your luggage in the downstairs office on your last day for a small fee.
- It’s a 3 star hotel, but 5 star for location!
This hotel was last reviewed in July 2018.
The only downside to the Studio Plus New York apartments is the odd smell. There’s a haze of Korean cooking aromas that hover in the main entrance and the lift, but once you are in the room, it abates.
It’s **slightly** off putting, especially if you are smell-sensitive like me, BUT for the price and the awesome location, we’d still recommend this hotel to other families. Adventurous families aren’t in the rooms long enough for it to bother you.
Looking for MORE Super Fun Things to Do in NEW YORK CITY with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.