Japan Aquarium – Sunshine City. Updated 2018.
There’s a super cool Jellyfish Tunnel at this super cool aquarium in Tokyo, and a ring-shaped roof top exhibition full of swimming sea lions too!
If you are looking for things to do in Japan with kids, head to this Japanese aquarium to see what other surprises lie in wait. It’s known as the “Oasis in the sky”.
- 1 The Number One Japan Aquarium for Kids? We vote this Aquarium in Ikebukuro.
- 2 7 Fun Things to do at the Sunshine City Aquarium
- 3 English signage at this Tokyo Aquarium
- 4 The Inside Scoop – Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro
- 5 Japan Aquarium Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
- 6 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in TOKYO with kids?
The Number One Japan Aquarium for Kids? We vote this Aquarium in Ikebukuro.
The Sunshine City Aquarium in Ikebukuro is on the rooftop of the Sunshine City World Import Mart building. This Tokyo aquarium was reopened in 2011 as a state-of-the-art metropolitan aquarium over two levels, with marine life from all around the world showcased in exhibits both indoors and out.
With unique attractions such as the “Sunshine Aqua Ring” full of swimming sea lions and the “Jellyfish Tunnel”, it’s well worth a visit, particularly if you combine it with a day of Sunshine City Plaza fun!
7 Fun Things to do at the Sunshine City Aquarium
At the Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro, kids and families can:
1. Watch sea lions interact with underwater divers and feed on the Sea Lion beach (Take pics. The light is spectacular!)
2. Meet sea otters and learn about their unique personalities
3. Be charmed by the penguins at their feeding shows, or check them out in their Penguins in the Sky display
4. Enjoy the spectacle of pelican feeding
5. Watch the Water show as a diver introduces various kinds of fish
5. Visit the Aqua Pocket gift shop to find all kinds of cute (and cheap) animal souvenirs including Otter plush dolls, toys with moving parts, and ornaments.
6. Eat at the Kanaloa Cafe and order the cutest Otter Hayashi Rice for the kids!
7. Smile at the pretty coloured coral at the Great Barrier Reef exhibition
English signage at this Tokyo Aquarium
The Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro exhibits are spotless, with an elegance that is hard to find in other aquariums. There’s plenty of English signage, although the shows are in Japanese. But the kids will get the gist.
If you need an escape from the greys of a city, or a respite from the crowds, you’ll feel revived after hours surrounded by reptiles, fish, and the botanical garden-like plant displays.
Allow 2-3 hours.
Hot tip: there’s Free WiFi Internet access available throughout the aquarium.
The Inside Scoop – Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro
English Guide: Guide to the Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro PDF
Address: 3−1−3 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku Tokyo 170-0013
Telephone: 03 3989 3466
Website: Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro Website
Opening Hours: 10am to 8pm (April to October). 10am to 6pm (November to March)
- Adult (above high school student) 2,200 yen
- Child (elementary / junior high school student) 1,200 yen
- Toddler (over 4 years old) 700 yen
- Children under 4 FREE!
Sunshine City Aquarium Ikebukuro – Notes:
- Last admission is one hour before the end. Business hours are subject to change without notice.
- Please note, entry during peak periods may be restricted to manage congestion.
- Buy advanced tickets for Sunshine City aquarium entrance at the following convenience store: FamilyMart, Seven Eleven, Lawson, Thanks, Circle K
- Please note, even if you have an advance ticket, there may be a wait for the elevator to the aquarium floor.
How to get to the Sunshine City Aquarium in Ikebukuro:
- By Foot: 8 minutes walk from Ikebukuro Station (JR, Tokyo Metro, Seibu Line, Tobu Line). Go to exit 35 of Ikebukuro Station. Walk down Sunshine 60 Dori, and the underground entrance (escalator) to Sunshine City will be visible on the right-hand side next to Tokyu Hands.
- By Foot: 3 minutes walk from Higashi-Ikebukuro Station (Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line). Walk toward exit 6.7, and a sign should direct you to the “Underground Passage” to Sunshine City. Head to the top floor of the World Mart Building. Follow the signs.
- By Foot: 4 minutes walk from Higashi-Ikebukuro 4-Chome Station (Toden Arakawa Line)
Sunshine City Japan Aquarium Map:
Japan Aquarium Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in TOKYO with kids?
Click the links in blue below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.