INSIDE: Taupo Public Playground.
“Quick, find the playground!”
Roadtrips and playgrounds go together like tents and a campground. One cannot exist without the other!
That thing called ‘cabin fever’. There’s a thing called ‘car fever’ too. Anyone travelling with kids on a roadtrip knows it all too well.
On our recent New Zealand road trip, we pulled into Taupo late one afternoon, in desperate need of a playground.
We found one in the city centre. Take a look.
- 1 Taupo Family Activities – Tongariro Domain Playground
- 2 Taupo Public Playground for Toddlers
- 3 Liberty Swing Taupo
- 4 Playground in Taupo for Big Kids
- 5 Nature Playground in Taupo
- 6 Taupo for Kids in the City Centre
- 7 Take a Hot Shower at Superloo.
- 8 The Inside Scoop – Taupo with Kids
- 9 Taupo Public Playground Map
- 10 Toadstool Rating.
- 11 Looking for more Fun Things to Do in Taupo & Waitomo with Kids?
Taupo Family Activities – Tongariro Domain Playground
To find the Taupo public playground, look for the SuperLoo. Park in the public car park at Story Place, and it’s steps away.
This playground is one of the best things to do in Taupo for families. There’s plenty of green space for a picnic, a life-size chess set, and playground equipment for all kids, big and small.
Grab a reviving cup of coffee from a cafe across the road.
Taupo Public Playground for Toddlers
Toddlers love the:
- Toddler Fort, with running ramp, platforms to scale, bridges to cross, tunnels, slides, stairs to climb, and X’s and O’s games too. It’s transport themed.
- Spider Web swing
Liberty Swing Taupo
There’s a Liberty Swing on site. Ask the attendant at the Superloo for a key.
Playground in Taupo for Big Kids
There’s tonnes of playground fun for older kids too. No one will be bored or complain here.
- Giant pyramid structure to climb
- Ladybug climbing frame
- Monkey Bar dome
- Space Ball fort and slide
- Open space for running games
- Bike and scooter paths
Nature Playground in Taupo
There’s a Stone Circle, the perfect spot to gather before a game of hide-and-seek.
Or perhaps as part of a Parkour Adventure, or ‘The Ground is Lava’ game where you can’t touch the grass, and can only move by climbing on or over things, staying off the ground at all times.
Taupo for Kids in the City Centre
Lion Express Train
There’s a miniature train that loops through the park on select weekends too. Add this to your list of fun Taupo activities.
The World’s Coolest McDonalds!
Did you know that the World’s Coolest McDonalds is just a 500 metre walk away? Leave the car, and walk there in 7 minutes through Taupo town to find out why this McDonald’s been awarded this prestigious title!
Take a Hot Shower at Superloo.
Anyone in need of a hot shower can get one at the Superloo complex next to the playground. Enjoy 4 minutes of hot water to shampoo your hair and scrub your body for $2.50, before you get back on the road in your caravan or RV.
The Inside Scoop – Taupo with Kids
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: 4 Story Place, Taupo
Telephone: +64 7-376 0899
Website: Click here
Opening Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Entry Fees: Free
How to get there:
- By Car: From Napier direction on Napier-Taupo road, turn right at the final T intersection near Lake Taupo, onto Lake Terrace/Thermal Explorer Highway. Follow this along for 2km until you reach Tongariro Street. Turn right, then turn left onto Story Place, just after Superloo.
- By Bus: Catch the Intercity Bus from Napier to Taupo. Exit at the Taupo i-SITE and walk 100 metres.
Parking: Free parking in Story Place carpark.
Taupo Public Playground Map
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Subway, Dominos, Burger Fuel and Lone Star are around the corner on Roberts Street. Plus, there are plenty of cafes too.
Toilets: Yes. Superloo. Children under 5 free. Baby change table available. 50 cents entry for everyone else.
Disability access: Yes, Liberty swing available too.
Closest ATM: Taupo CBD
Shade: Trees. BYO hats and sunscreen.
Enclosed: No. A short walk to the main street.
Ground cover: Grass, rubber tiles, concrete.
Picnic tables: Yes
Water Bubblers/fountains: Yes
Scooters and Bikes: Yes
Dogs: On leash only.
Notes: This playground was last reviewed in September 2018.
Looking for more Fun Things to Do in Taupo & Waitomo with Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Taupo Top 10 – The Ultimate List of Family Things to Do in Taupo (Coming Soon)