INSIDE: The Complete Guide to Buying Tokyo Art Supplies with a list of the best shops in Tokyo. Updated 2019.
If you are an artist, manga comic illustrator, designer, creative, illustrator or hobbyist in Tokyo, you need to keep this list of Tokyo art supplies shops handy.
It’s the complete guide to shopping for Tokyo Art Supplies.
Hot tip: Fill your wallet.
If you thought shopping for art supplies at home was fun, then this will blow your mind.
Shopping in Tokyo for art supplies when you are an artist, designer, creator, maker or hobbyist is next level excitement!
- 1 Shopping in Tokyo for Japanese art supplies
- 2 Japanese art supplies available in Japan
- 3 The best shops in Tokyo for Japanese art supplies
- 4 **GENERAL LIST**
- 5 KAKIMORI
- 6 INKSTAND BY KAKIMORI
- 7 PIGMENT TOKYO LAB
- 8 UEMATSU
- 9 SEKAIDO JAPANESE ART SUPPLY STORE
- 10 GINZA GEKKO-SO
- 11 ITOYA GINZA
- 12 YUZAWAYA
- 13 LOFT
- 14 TOKYU HANDS
- 15 DAISO 100 YEN STORE
- 16 **LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?**
- 17 Where to buy Japanese calligraphy supplies?
- 18 Where to buy art supplies for Manga comics?
- 19 Looking for more places to shop in Japan?
- 20 Subscribe
- 21 Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Shopping in Tokyo for Japanese art supplies
- The first question is: what type of artist are you, and what art supplies do you normally use?
- The second question is: what kind of art supplies are available in Japan?
- The third question is: what art supply stores in Tokyo offer art workshops too?
With those three questions answered, you can pinpoint the best shops in Tokyo to visit on your Tokyo itinerary.
Japanese art supplies available in Japan
For starters, Japanese art supplies to look for include:
- Japanese art brushes and Japanese paint brushes (a Japanese paint brush is one of those must-have things)
- Japanese painting supplies
- Japanese ink brush & Japanese ink painting supplies
- Manga art supplies and comic art supplies including the world famous COPIC markers!
- Japanese printmaking supplies
- Japanese paper and origami supplies
- Japanese art materials including quality paper, visual diaries, and journals
- Japanese ceramic supplies and clay
- Japanese brush art pens & Japanese brush painting supplies
- Japanese calligraphy supplies
- Japanese art pens
- Artist pigments and art materials
- Artist supplies for Japanese wood block printing, and hand carved stamping
The best shops in Tokyo for Japanese art supplies
This is a general list of the best art shops in Tokyo selling a broad range of Tokyo art supplies for all kinds of artists.
Kakimori is the place to purchase a customised notebook where you choose your binder ring colors, notepapers, fasteners and cover design. Choose your bits, then the staff will make it right in front of you! The whole process takes about 20-30 minutes. Prices range from 1‚000 yen to 3‚500 yen.
They stock all kinds of pens.
- fountain pens
- ballpoint pens
- refillable ball point pens
- pen cases
You are invited to try before you buy at Kakimori Tokyo art supplies store.
Kakimori also home to well made stationery items, including business card holders, notebooks, letter writing sets, envelopes, and gift cards.
Kakimori art supply store is in Kuramae Tokyo, the home of artisans and craftspeople in Tokyo, and can be found between Asakusa and Tokyo Skytree.
INKSTAND BY KAKIMORI
Inkstand is the place in Japan to purchase your very own fountain pen ink colour, specially designed just for you and your personality and mood.
Inkstand came from the idea that everyone should have a color that truly represents them.
Ink samples are prepared drop by drop, allowing you to mix your way towards the color that matches your mood perfectly. With each drop, your personal ink adds to the joy of writing and expressing yourself on paper..
Inkstand’s greatest wish is that everyone will share the enjoyment that comes from bringing a sense of color into your daily life.
PIGMENT TOKYO LAB
PIGMENT Tokyo Lab (pronounced as in the French, pīgmōn) is a laboratory for exploring “expression in color and materials” as well as an academy, a museum, and a store.
It’s a comprehensive facility for creativity!
All the pigments are displayed in the glass jars and there are more than 4500 choices of colors here.
To buy artist pigments, you simply choose the color you like from the wall and the staff will measure as much you want from the jars, starting from 15 grams.
There are Shin-iwa (Artificial) Pigments, Natural Mineral Pigments, Earth Pigments, Suihi pigments, Effect Pigment, Kyojyo pigments and more.
Their store also stocks:
- Painting canvases of canvas, silk, cotton
- Washi paper
- Sumi Ink sticks
- Metal leaf, gold and silver pigments, coloured silver leaf
- Oil paints, pigment paste, acrylic paints, watercolours, ink, tempera paste
- Water or oil based resin paints
- Glues and adhesives
- Japanese art brushes – oil paint brushes, watercolour brushes, flat paint brushes, finger brushes (yubifude), flat fog brushes, calligraphy brushes
- Umpitsu drawing brushes, mensofude fine brushes, hirafude flat brushes, saishiki-fudde coloring brushes and kegaki-fude brushes to do detail line drawings
- Ink stones and pigment dishes
- Japanese art books
Uematsu art supply store in Shibuya is well established, having been in business for more than 85 years, with a full range of service painting materials that cater to anyone who loves to draw or paint.
Painters, artists, culture aficionados, drawing students, illustrators, designers, and amateur hobbyists in Japan know Uematsu very well.
- water color painting supplies
- acrylic painting supplies
- oil painting supplies
- environmentally friendly art supplies
They offer an extensive selection of art supplies, and friendly store clerks who are more than happy to help!
SEKAIDO JAPANESE ART SUPPLY STORE
Sekaido Japanese Art Supply store and Japanese stationery shop has two stores in Shinjuku, and there’s also one in Machida, Ikebukuro, Kitaguci, Yokohama, and other parts of Japan too. It first opened in 1940!
The Sekaido Shinjuku shop stocks art supplies, stationery, paint, design and drafting supplies, frames, painting and poster boards, design supplies, comic manga supplies, and modelling material.
Here’s a general guide to the Sekaido Shinjuku main store.
- Find Japanese fountain pens and Japanese stationery on the first floor
- Find Japanese paper, drafting, design and illustrator supplies, animation goods, model materials, and related books on the 2nd floor. It’s also the go-to place for comics and manga art supplies.
- Find painting materials, Japanese painting supplies, Japanese woodblock printing supplies, modelling materials for hand cut stamping and miniature clay making, easels, and Japanese calligraphy supplies on the third floor
- The fourth floor is for framing, plus you can buy Japanese prints and Japanese artworks and the fifth floor is for oil painting supplies
Gekkoso was founded in 1917, and continues to attract visitors to experience the old-school charm of the place on both the entry level and in the basement.
Visit the Ginza Gekkoso art Supply Store for hand crafted paint, hand crafted paintbrushes, visual art diaries, sketch books and more.
Gekkoso’s own brand logo is a musical horn – buy any of their original products and you’ll have this as a keepsake of your visit.
Itoya Ginza (or Itoya Tokyo, as it’s sometimes called) is a well known stationery shop in Tokyo with a giant red paperclip on the building. The flagship store in Ginza is two buildings (G. Itoya and K. Itoya) with a total of 18 floors!
But don’t write it off as just a stationery shop.
Itoya Ginza has a MASSIVE selection of art supplies too.
- Japanese calligraphy brushes and ink
- Paintbrushes for oils and acrylics, oil painting supplies, acrylic supplies, paint
- Crayon pastels, oil pastels and chalk
- Calligraphy pens
- Watercolor brushes, watercolor supplies
- Japanese drawing supplies for manga, comic supplies, design ink, drawing aids
- Airbrush supplies
- Canvas, easels
- Drafting supplies – compass, drafts, templates, rulers
- Paper craft supplies – seals, decorations, scrapbooking supplies
- Modelling supplies – clay
- Craft supplies, origami paper
Yuzawaya is a large-scale specialty store of handmade hobby materials that has been in action for 64 years, with a wide range of materials and tools from around the world.
Some of the stores stock art supplies.
Click here for a guide to Yuzawaya stores. Check the descriptions in the orange ovals to find your closest store that stocks art supplies.
Paper craft lovers will find MT Washi Tape, craft templates, and paper craft embellishments.
Artists will find coloured pencil sets, graphite pencils, and sketch books.
Tokyu Hands Department Store is THE ultimate craft supplies store in Japan, but there’s lots of art supplies too.
You can find:
- calligraphy supplies including calligraphy brush pens
- painting supplies
- wood block printing supplies
- paper craft supplies, washi tape, nuno deco tape
- glass painting supplies
- stamping supplies
Some Tokyu Hands stores have an in-store cafe with original menus that change each season, and opportunities to join in hands on workshops and other special events. This is the place to buy handmade goodies too.
DAISO 100 YEN STORE
Daiso has a few Japanese art supplies for paper craft, drawing, and manga illustration.
Find sticky notes, washi tape, deco tape, modelling clay, pens, and pencils, notebooks and notepads, glue, stickers, paint brushes, paint palettes, stretched canvas, watercolour paint sets, and washable crayons.
**LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?**
Where to buy Japanese calligraphy supplies?
Start at Sekaido. (See above for details.)
Head next to Lapis Design & Art Supply in Roppongi Hills for calligraphy pens, paper and more.
Where to buy art supplies for Manga comics?
Manga illustrators need these supplies in their collection.
- Deleter comic paper
- Non-photo blue pencil leads
- Graphite pencils
- Inking tools
- Dip pen nibs and holders
- Dip pen ink
- Fineliners including copic multiliner pens
- Copic markets – Copic sketch markers, Copic classic markers, Copic ciao markers
- Templates and guides, curves and rulers, compass
- Anti smudge tools, dust removers
Tools Art Supply Shop in Tokyo
Tools art supply shop in Tokyo is the place to be.
This is the main place to buy your Copic markers in Japan – they are an official stockist, with a Copic Clinic on site to do all your copic marker refills and nib replacements.
They sell lots of Japanese art supplies too. Make a pit stop.
Other places for Manga art supplies
Head to Uematsu Tokyo art supplies store, and Sekaido Shinjuku for an enormous selection of manga art supplies.
Visit Mandarake in Shibuya for a giant collection of manga comics inspiration, anime toys, manga dolls, anime ornaments, manga cards, CD’s, DVDs, toys.
Tokyo Anime Center
The Tokyo Anime Center is another excellent resource for manga fans.
Looking for more places to shop in Japan?
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory