INSIDE: The Insider’s Guide to TOKYO DISNEYSEA attractions for the kids in your family.
Are you planning a visit to Tokyo with kids?
Do want to know about Tokyo Disneysea Attractions for young children?
Keen to find out whether or not, Tokyo Disney Sea is better or worse than Tokyo Disneyland for small children?
Let’s take a look and see if we can answer your questions!
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Tokyo Disneyland or Disneysea?
- 2 Tokyo Disneysea Rides for Kids
- 3 Family-Friendly Tokyo Disneysea Attractions
- 4 MAGICAL MERMAID LAGOON at Disney Sea Japan
- 5 ARIEL’S PLAYGROUND FOR KIDS at Japan Disneysea
- 6 More Photos of Ariel’s Playground
- 7 MERMAID LAGOON THEATRE
- 8 Shop for Souvenirs at DISNEYSEA Tokyo!
- 9 MORE Tokyo Disney Sea Rides for Young Kids
- 10 ARABIAN COAST
- 11 LOST RIVER DELTA
- 12 PORT DISCOVERY
- 13 AMERICAN WATERFRONT
- 14 MEDITERRANEAN HARBOUR
- 15 Tokyo Disneysea Snacks at Disneysea Restaurants & Shops
- 16 Flavored popcorn.
- 17 Tokyo Disneysea Tips
- 18 The Inside Scoop – Disney Sea Japan
- 19 Entry Fees to Tokyo Disneysea
- 20 How to get to Disney Sea
- 21 Tokyo Disney Sea Map
- 22 Toadstool Rating (by the kids) – Disneysea rides for kids
- 23 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Tokyo with Kids?
Tokyo Disneyland or Disneysea?
Many Tokyo Disney Sea attractions are definitely geared for the older crowd.
There is an EDGE to this place – the vibe and atmosphere IS different to Tokyo Disneyland.
You’ll also notice the presence of Disney’s shadier villain-type characters who are definitely NOT visible at the Tokyo Disneyland, the Happiest Place on Earth.
Even the landscape is more harsh, with heavy stone architecture, lots of grey concrete, and a deep body of blackish water centre-stage.
It’s not an illusion.
There are hundreds and hundreds of teenagers and young adults walking about, many of them in matching outfits, and the ratio of “families with young children“, to “teens with their friends“, is definitely not as balanced as at Disneyland.
BUT, don’t let that stop you visiting.
Tokyo Disneysea Rides for Kids
You’ll spy hundreds of families with strollers, babies, toddlers and the under 7’s in tow, if you look in the right places.
You just need to know where to go.
There ARE plenty of things to do at Tokyo Disneysea with kids under 7, including lots of Tokyo Disney Sea rides just for them. Take a look below.
One day is not enough.
Family-Friendly Tokyo Disneysea Attractions
Bypass all the attractions of the Mediterranean Harbor and Mysterious Island, and head straight for Ariel’s Mermaid Lagoon.
THIS place is a sight no child or family member should miss.
In fact, Mermaid Lagoon might just be my favourite Disney ‘land’ ever, it’s so pretty!
You can easily spend a third, to a half of the day here alone!
MAGICAL MERMAID LAGOON at Disney Sea Japan
Follow the path downhill to find the glorious sights of Ariel’s Mermaid Lagoon and Grotto.
This place is the epitome of the word, ‘magical’. It is breathtaking, AND popular for young and old.
So don’t delay. Jump in a queue and claim your spot on all of these Tokyo Disney rides.
The best Disneysea rides for toddlers and young children in the Mermaid Lagoon are:
Flounder’s Flying Fish Coaster
A miniature roller coaster making it’s way over a tide pool (*Not for under 3’s)
Scoot on a sand crab
Like a teacup, but a kelp cup!
Take a spin.
Float up and down on a shell suspended from jellyfish
Blowfish Balloon Race
Board a shell and join the blowfish as they race round and round.
ARIEL’S PLAYGROUND FOR KIDS at Japan Disneysea
Tokyo Disneysea Attractions don’t get much better than this walk-through indoor playground with NO waiting required.
Ariel’s playground has:
- a cave of shadows
- a Galleon graveyard (watch out for unexpected noises!)
- a kelp forest
- fishermen’s nets to clamber through
- a starfish playpen
- a mermaid sea spray
- a sea dragon tunnel, and
- Ursula’s dungeon.
The Tokyo playground is hands-on with lots of interactive elements.
Hot tip: Be vigilant.
While you will see lots of parents taking a break, and sitting quietly against the walls in the main cavern, there are TWO separate exits with no gates, and LOTS and LOTS of kids running about.
Ariel’s Playground is also semi-dark, and mysterious, with lots of hidden tunnels.
Designate a meeting spot before you let them run off to play.
More Photos of Ariel’s Playground
MERMAID LAGOON THEATRE
Grab a Fast Pass for this super clever show, King Triton’s Concert, so you don’t waste precious minutes.
With real-life people, puppetry, AND vision combined, it’s a rollicking boisterous song and dance rendition of the Little Mermaid Tale in the round.
It’s my number one thing to do in Mermaid Lagoon.
Shop for Souvenirs at DISNEYSEA Tokyo!
There’s also super cute Disney merchandise to buy with one shop inside a giant whale!
You can buy personalised caricatures and silhouette cut-outs in here.
But I fell in love with the prettiest Ariel t-shirt I ever did see from one of the stores there.
You and your family might like to do as many Japanese families like to do, that is – dress in unison.
Why not buy one for everyone in the family?
We think a Disney t-shirt is the perfect Tokyo Disneysea souvenir memory.
MORE Tokyo Disney Sea Rides for Young Kids
In each ‘land’, there are more rides and attractions for little kids. Here’s a list of our favourites:
We love this beautifully designed area of Disney Sea. The vibrancy of Arabia and the colors make us smile!
The best Disneysea rides and attractions for kids on the Arabian Coast are:
A two-level carousel with characters from AliBaba including The Genie, AND camels to ride.
Jasmine’s Flying Carpet
Like Dumbo the Flying Elephant but cuter!
Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage
An animated boat ride through the waters of Arabia with Sinbad and Chandu.
The Magic Lamp Theater 3D show
This show has with the world’s greatest magician and the hilarious Genie – it’s good fun!
LOST RIVER DELTA
The best Disneysea rides and attractions for kids in Lost River Delta are:
DisneySea Transit Steamer Line
A low key steamer voyage around town.
Meet Mickey and Friends
Head to Character greeting with Mickey and Friends at Greeting Trails.
Hot tip: Indiana Jones Adventure Ride
If you can manage to take turns looking after the kids, the Indiana Jones Adventure, Temple of the Crystal Skull is THE BEST DISNEY RIDE I’VE EVER BEEN ON!
(Take a look at our faces, bottom right)
But it’s pretty rough and tumble, so kids need to be 117 cm tall and strong enough to hang on.
The best Disneysea rides for kids in Port Discovery are:
Join the WET queue on this wild spinning watercraft ride.
The queue is shorter and quicker AND the soaking is a tonne of fun. You will get very wet but oh, how you’ll laugh!
(The wet queue is only available in warmer weather.)
Don’t miss this ride, summer or winter. It’s a favourite.
DisneySea Electric Railway
Take an electric trolley ride on an elevated track right back to the front of the park.
Disney Character Dining
Disney Character Dining is available at the Horizons Bay Restaurant. It’s the best way to meet the traditional Disney characters without queuing!
Nemo and Friends Sea Rider
Similar to the Star Wars ride, but for younger kids, you’ll board a submersible and take a trip through the vast ocean. It’s fast and fun!
Hot tip: Get the Fast Pass. This is a popular ride for kids at Tokyo Disneysea.
The best Disneysea rides for kids in the American Waterfront are:
Toy Story Mania.
Possibly THE BEST interactive ride in the world. Toy Story Mania is excitement plus, and a fun challenge for everyone!
Put the Disneysea Toy Story ride at the top of your must-do list if you haven’t ridden it already.
Grab a fast pass for Toy Story, as the queue can be an hour long.
Hot tip: Toy Story Arcade
As you walk into the area where Toy Story ride is, you’ll spot these fun Toy Story arcade games to play and activities to do.
Don’t miss it!
Big City Vehicles
Board a early 20th century vehicle for a ride aorund the streets of New York. Choose from an open top town car, a police wagon, or a delivery truck!
Kids who love trucks and vehicles will adore this ride.
Hello New York Show
This show presented in the New York area of American Waterfront features Mickey Mouse and the Disney Friends discovering different ways to enjoy the big city.
The best Disneysea rides and shows for kids in Mediterranean Harbor are:
Take a ride through the canals of DisneySea
Find yourself a good spot overlooking the Mediterranean Harbour to see this fireworks and music spectacular. All the characters appear, in this ode to the imagination.
Tokyo Disneysea Snacks at Disneysea Restaurants & Shops
As you walk around the park between Disneysea rides, look out for cute Disney snacks.
Do not think you can visit Tokyo Disney Sea without trying the best Tokyo Disney Sea Snacks like these. There’s no time for diets at Tokyo Disney resorts. That word is not even in the vocabulary here.
It’s a magical place where you must eat all the Japanese treats, Japanese snacks, Japanese chocolate, and Japanese candy.
Try these popular snacks at Tokyo DisneySea.
- Mickey Ice Pops
- Little Green Men Mochi Dumplings, filled with custard. (OMG) – find them at Mamma Biscottis Bakery in the Mediterranean Harbour
- Disney Mickey Churros
- Mickey castella cake with chocolate cream – find them at Hudson River Harvest in the American waterfront
- Sweet fried burrito filled with caramel and banana, from Tropic Al’s wagon.
- Donald Duck ukiwa shrimp-filled steamed buns shaped like a Life Preserver – find them at Seaside Snack, Port Discovery
Go on, buy the cute Popcorn bucket. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime souvenir.
Then buy different flavor refills up as you go round the park.
Different shaped Disney characters popcorn buckets can be found in different popcorn wagons.
- Soaring bucket
- Winnie the Pooh
- Buzz Lightyear
- Woody’s farm from Toy Story 4
- Finding Nemo
Find different flavors of Disney popcorn at these Popcorn Wagons too:
- Curry (Trading post side of Westernland)
- Garlic Shrimp (in front of dock side stage in American waterfront)
- Caramel – Ariel’s greeting grotto in Mermaid Lagoon, and in the American waterfront
- Honey taste – next to Aquatopia in Port Discovery
- Milk chocolate – near the Cape Cod cookoff in American waterfront
Tokyo Disneysea Tips
Disneysea Fastpass is essential to skip queues with kids
- Get FREE Disney Sea FASTPASS tickets on the day of your Park visit. Go to the FASTPASS ticketing machine location. These are located close to the front entrance of all rides that take FastPass – look for the queue leading to the row of ticketing machines.
- At the FASTPASS ticket machine, insert your Park ticket with the 2D code facing up. If you have a Disney eTicket printout, fold it in eighths before inserting it with the 2D code facing up.
When the green light goes on, withdraw your Park ticket. Pick up your FASTPASS Ticket from the dispenser.
- Take advantage of these little travel aids. They save you SO MUCH TIME. Use time in between rides to eat or snack.
Pick up a Disneysea Guide Map
- Pick up a guide map on entry.
- The Disneysea Map, the entertainment schedule “Today,” and other information on merchandise and food will help you enjoy the Park even more.
- Wagons containing the maps are located either side of Passaggio MiraCosta.
Download the Disneysea app
Plan your day and make the best use of your time for Disneysea rides by checking the wait times on the Disneysea app from iTunes.
- Hungry for something healthy? There’s a Papadakis Fresh Fruit wagon in American Waterfront that sells freshly cut fruit
Visit Tokyo Disneysea on a Budget
- There’s a Japanese Convenience Store just outside the Maihama Disney train station when you arrive (it’s on your left as you exit, towards Ikspiari shopping centre).
- Eat a big breakfast, then stock up on your drinks, Japanese snacks, and onigiri rice balls here before heading in.
- Save your dollars for Disney treats later in the day.
Dress up Costumes for Kids
- Get into the spirit of things by letting the kids dress up as their favourite Disney character or princess.
- The Japanese embrace the idea of dress up strongly so your kids will fit right in.
- Kids under 11 may wear full costumes all year round.
Disney treats and Disney food snack souvenirs
- Valentina’s Sweets shop in the Mediterranean Harbour has the biggest selection of Disney-themed treats to take home. (Cute tasty souvenirs too!)
Disney Sea Souvenirs – pressed pennies
- Make a Souvenir Pressed Penny medallion for ¥100 each.
- Find machines at the Sleepy Whale shop, the Agrabah Marketplace, The Expedition Photo Archive, Aunt Peg’s Village store, and Galleria Disney.
- Collect all the different designs.
Send a postcard from Tokyo Disneysea
- Send a postcard from inside Tokyo DisneySea. Letters and postcards placed in these mailboxes will be imprinted with a special Tokyo DisneySea design and delivered to the post office.
- Mailboxes are located in 11 different areas within Tokyo DisneySea.
Visit the best Tokyo attractions with Kids
Thinking about a family trip to Japan?
Click here to find ALL the family-friendly info you’ll need on ground transportation, places to stay, where to eat, and SUPER DOOPER fun things to do in Tokyo.
The Inside Scoop – Disney Sea Japan
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in yen.
Tokyo Disney Sea is a separate park to Tokyo Disneyland, even though visitors often call it Tokyo Disneyland Sea.
Address: 1-13 Maihama, Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture 279-0031, Japan
Tokyo Disneysea Opening Hours
- Generally 8am to 10pm. Please check Disneysea hours & opening times on the Park Operation calendar.
- Buy your e-tickets here and print at home. No waiting in line at the gate, AND guaranteed entry!
Website: Click here
Entry Fees to Tokyo Disneysea
Entry prices to Tokyo Disneyland Resort are determined by status:
- junior (12-17 years) and
- child (4-11 years)
Kids 3 and under are FREE!
Single Day Passports
- One day passports can be used for Tokyo Disneysea OR Tokyo Disneyland, but you must specify at the time of purchase.
Multiple Day Passports
- Ticket prices are the same for Tokyo Disneyland Park and Tokyo DisneySea Park.
- With a 2-Day Passport, you can enjoy one Park the first day and the other Park the following day.
- With a 3-Day or 4-Day Magic Passport, you can enjoy the privileges of a 2-Day Passport and then visit both Parks as you like on the third or fourth consecutive day.
- Click here for current prices
2, 3, and 4 day passports must be used on consecutive days, or the tickets will be deemed invalid.
Learn from my error
I did not read this important detail when planning my itinerary in Tokyo with kids last time, so spaced the days out. When we turned up for the second day to visit Tokyo Disney Sea, the tickets were null and void. Luckily, one of the helpful staff felt sorry for my misunderstanding, and reissued my ticket, at a cost of another $50 AUD!
Do not do as I did!
If you want to separate your visits, buy individual tickets for each park.
How to get to Disney Sea
For all transport options to Tokyo Disney Resort including train, bus and car, click here
Tokyo Disney Sea Map
Toadstool Rating (by the kids) – Disneysea rides for kids
DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE if you love The Little Mermaid, or are a Disney Fan.
If you’ve been to Disneyland in the USA or elsewhere before, make Disney Sea your preference.
If not, try to visit both parks (despite not being able to understand the show commentary or some of the ride commentary unless you speak Japanese).
We believe EVERYONE needs a bit of Disney Magic in their lives.
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Tokyo with Kids?
Click the links in blue below.