INSIDE: A sneak peek at Primrose Hill Playground. Visiting the London Zoo in Regent’s Park? Take the kids for a run around this cute playground in Primrose Hill before you head home. London with Toddlers – Primrose Hill Playground Primrose Hill Playground features: A giant scramble net pyramid A modular fort climbing frame with spiral […]
Say hello to ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
The one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in London with Kids. (Hot tip: Click this link for our Ultimate Guide to London for Families.
London is in our Top Five of Fun Family Cities around the world to visit at least once.
The city's biggest Toy Shop is on one of London's most picturesque streets. It's also very close to a few fabulous playgrounds in Regents Park, but you have to walk past iconic fashion stores and famous Department stores to get there. Sounds like the perfect place to offer a bribe to the kids for a win-win!
There's a GLASS WALKWAY at the Tower of London and the kids love it. Roam the Gnome, and I did too. (Plus, there's a sticker book adventure to keep the kids engaged) Read our review.
Harrods with Kids is an awesome day out! (Hot tip: Join the Kids Club before you visit and join in special themed events with the locals - read how in our full review)
There's tonnes of family friendly museums with hands-on activities. Our favourite of the bunch is a toss up between the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, or the Discover Story Centre in Stratford. If you have time, visit both!
If you are visiting London with kids, Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Destination: London with Kids
We've said it before, and we'll say it again. London with kids is a must-do holiday, and you CAN do it on a budget if you choose.
The best thing is there's so many free things to do with kids in London, so you can save your pennies and pounds for delicious food, souvenirs, and special bucket list adventures.
Here's a few more ideas to start you planning.
London Hotels for Kids
On our most recent trip, we stayed at the Grand Plaza Apartments in Bayswater. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Notting Hill, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and the Princess Diana Memorial Playground are on your doorstep, and the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum of London are just a 15 minute stroll away.
You will NOT find any better location in the city for a family stay, and this posh Victorian townhouse style of hotel makes you feel like near-royalty.
More Family Hotels in London
- The Athenaeum Hotel in London welcomes kids
- Enjoy a Five-Star stay at the Savoy London. They have a dedicated kids menu, and so many other goodies for kids, a short stay is on the top of our bucket list.
London Shopping with kids
- Visit Benjamin Pollocks toyshop in Covent Garden and pick up a timeless classic toy from Victorian days
- Old Spitalfields Markets is a great rainy day adventure for shoppers
- Go Souvenir Shopping for chocolate treats and more at M&M's World in London
Eating in London with kids
- Do not leave London without trying at crepe at the Portobello Market - the market was also the famous setting for the romantic comedy Notting Hill, featuring Hollywood stars Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant!
- Try all kinds of world cuisine at these affordable Sunday food markets - you'll roll out!
- Need a quick budget breakfast before a big day of London sightseeing? We love the bakery chain, Pret a Manger - we recommend trying their soups for lunch too.
- Try delicious bubble tea at the Candy Cafe in London
- This quirky cafe sells breakfast cereal all day long!
London Playgrounds for Kids
- Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Hyde Park (Kensington Gardens) is very busy but a must-do playground for kids in London. Go early!
- This cool nature playground is right below the London Eye!
- Marylebone Green playground in Regent's Park has three parts and it's one of our favourites in London
- Primrose Hill Playground is right near London Zoo
- Kids can climb big boulders at Pleasure Gardens Adventure Playground near Olympic Stadium
- Gloucester Gate playground - exciting upgrades taking place now
- The Zoo has an animal-themed adventure playground!
- Regents Park Hanover Gate playground is another park with TWO different playground areas
Art Galleries and Museums in London for kids
- Do not miss the Museum of Childhood - this should be on the itinerary for every family visiting the city with kids
- Skip Buckingham Palace - take the kids here instead to see Royal Life at work
- TONNES of hands-on activities for kids at the Science Museum
- Take a walk back in time to see Victorian toys on display at Pollocks Toy Museum on Goodge St
- The Natural History Museum has the BEST entrance to a museum we've ever seen!
- See British Pageantry come to life at the Changing of the Guard ceremony
- Looking for something different to do? Visit the London Airforce Museum with kids
- London Transport Museum is a favourite of local London families
Things to do in London with Kids
- Take a family cruise on the Thames and see so many of London's big sights!
- See those same sights from the AIR! Jump the queue by booking a 'tour' on the London Eye, and hear lots of interesting stories and legends about the iconic London buildings you see. Read full review.
- Southbank is an entertainment centre opposite Big Ben, and next to the London Eye. There's lots to see and do including street entertainment, and this three-storey games arcade, Namco Funscape. It's the first place we've ever ridden the Typhoon "rollercoaster" slot car ride. Awesome fun!
- Enjoy the Punch and Judy Festival in Covent Garden
Best Zoo in London
- Eat afternoon tea at London Zoo
- Read about the Bedbugs Sleepover with kids experience at the zoo
- Easiest way to get to London Zoo
- Animal lovers should check out the Junior Zoo Keeper for the Day programs
- Once in a lifetime experience - stay in a safari tent at the Zoo
If you are visiting London, you might take a side trip to London's close proximity to two of the world's greatest cities - Paris and Rome.
Take a peek at our favourite kid-friendly places to visit in Paris and Rome at the links above.
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. This means if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.
Read through the list in more detail below...
INSIDE: Fun playground in Regents Park London for kids We stumbled upon Gloucester Gate Regents Park playground and had a fabulous time hanging out with locals and their kids. This is not a playground that tourists frequent, so you can be assured of real-life interactions with British folk, and that’s the kind of immersive experience […]
INSIDE: Pleasure Gardens Adventure Playground Olympic Park. We were on a mission to find Tumbling Bay playground at Olympic Park. First, we stumbled upon the Waterworks Fountain, with 195 jets of water in a labyrinth shape. Ned dodged the streams but the toddler drenched his only pair of shoes! Second, the Vintage Rides caught our […]
INSIDE: Fun Nature play at Jubilee Playground in London. Updated 2018. We love a nature playground. This find, spotted from our capsule on the London Eye, goes straight to the top of our list of cool architecturally-designed play spaces for kids. The sign on the gate says “Adventurers must be under 11 years old, AND […]
INSIDE: Why Marylebone Green Playground in Regents Park is our pick for the Best Kids Playground in London. Updated 2018. Jumbo fallen logs to scramble over? Tick. A modern-design concrete “Castle” with a slippery dip of epic proportions? Tick. A Super Dooper Dun playground with the BEST STREET ADDRESS in London? YES. All this, and […]
Benjamin Pollock’s Toyshop, Covent Garden. Updated 2018. Big Kids should not miss this traditional toy shop in London’s Covent Garden. This toy shop stocks London’s best range of whimsical, old-school toys and I dare you to leave without one. (It’s near on impossible to exit this shop empty-handed) Take a Peek at the Victorian Toys […]
Diana Memorial Pirate Ship Playground. Updated 2018. You’ll hear the twinkling of musical chimes and bucketloads of children’s laughter before you catch a glimpse of the Princess Diana Playground in Hyde Park. And then you’ll spy it. The centrepiece of the Hyde Park Diana Memorial Playground, and the reason it’s nicknamed the “Pirate Ship Playground”. […]
Victorian Toys, Pollocks Toy Museum. Updated 2018. A visit to Pollock’s British Toy Museum is a modern-day stroll into a place not unlike that mystical street from Harry Potter, Diagon Alley. It’s whimsical, weird, and wonderful all in one. Housed in a pair of fabulously creaky and theatrical Georgian town houses in London’s Fitzrovia, the […]