The Ultimate Guide to Harrods including directions to Harrods. Updated 2018. Visiting Harrods may be one of the Top Tourist Activities for adults visiting London, but Harrods did not feature in my Top Ten Things to do in London with Kids. All that money, prestige, expensive goods, BREAKABLE glass, vintage crystal, bone china… OH MY. […]
Say hello to ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
The one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in London with Kids. (Hot tip: Click this link for our Ultimate Guide to London for Families.
London is in our Top Five of Fun Family Cities around the world to visit at least once.
The city's biggest Toy Shop is on one of London's most picturesque streets. It's also very close to a few fabulous playgrounds in Regents Park, but you have to walk past iconic fashion stores and famous Department stores to get there. Sounds like the perfect place to offer a bribe to the kids for a win-win!
There's a GLASS WALKWAY at the Tower of London and the kids love it. Roam the Gnome, and I did too. (Plus, there's a sticker book adventure to keep the kids engaged) Read our review.
Harrods with Kids is an awesome day out! (Hot tip: Join the Kids Club before you visit and join in special themed events with the locals - read how in our full review)
There's tonnes of family friendly museums with hands-on activities. Our favourite of the bunch is a toss up between the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, or the Discover Story Centre in Stratford. If you have time, visit both!
If you are visiting London with kids, Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Destination: London with Kids
We've said it before, and we'll say it again. London with kids is a must-do holiday, and you CAN do it on a budget if you choose.
The best thing is there's so many free things to do with kids in London, so you can save your pennies and pounds for delicious food, souvenirs, and special bucket list adventures.
Here's a few more ideas to start you planning.
London Hotels for Kids
On our most recent trip, we stayed at the Grand Plaza Apartments in Bayswater. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Notting Hill, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and the Princess Diana Memorial Playground are on your doorstep, and the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum of London are just a 15 minute stroll away.
You will NOT find any better location in the city for a family stay, and this posh Victorian townhouse style of hotel makes you feel like near-royalty.
More Family Hotels in London
- The Athenaeum Hotel in London welcomes kids
- Enjoy a Five-Star stay at the Savoy London. They have a dedicated kids menu, and so many other goodies for kids, a short stay is on the top of our bucket list.
London Shopping with kids
- Visit Benjamin Pollocks toyshop in Covent Garden and pick up a timeless classic toy from Victorian days
- Old Spitalfields Markets is a great rainy day adventure for shoppers
- Go Souvenir Shopping for chocolate treats and more at M&M's World in London
Eating in London with kids
- Do not leave London without trying at crepe at the Portobello Market - the market was also the famous setting for the romantic comedy Notting Hill, featuring Hollywood stars Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant!
- Try all kinds of world cuisine at these affordable Sunday food markets - you'll roll out!
- Need a quick budget breakfast before a big day of London sightseeing? We love the bakery chain, Pret a Manger - we recommend trying their soups for lunch too.
- Try delicious bubble tea at the Candy Cafe in London
- This quirky cafe sells breakfast cereal all day long!
London Playgrounds for Kids
- Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Hyde Park (Kensington Gardens) is very busy but a must-do playground for kids in London. Go early!
- This cool nature playground is right below the London Eye!
- Marylebone Green playground in Regent's Park has three parts and it's one of our favourites in London
- Primrose Hill Playground is right near London Zoo
- Kids can climb big boulders at Pleasure Gardens Adventure Playground near Olympic Stadium
- Gloucester Gate playground - exciting upgrades taking place now
- The Zoo has an animal-themed adventure playground!
- Regents Park Hanover Gate playground is another park with TWO different playground areas
Art Galleries and Museums in London for kids
- Do not miss the Museum of Childhood - this should be on the itinerary for every family visiting the city with kids
- Skip Buckingham Palace - take the kids here instead to see Royal Life at work
- TONNES of hands-on activities for kids at the Science Museum
- Take a walk back in time to see Victorian toys on display at Pollocks Toy Museum on Goodge St
- The Natural History Museum has the BEST entrance to a museum we've ever seen!
- See British Pageantry come to life at the Changing of the Guard ceremony
- Looking for something different to do? Visit the London Airforce Museum with kids
- London Transport Museum is a favourite of local London families
Things to do in London with Kids
- Take a family cruise on the Thames and see so many of London's big sights!
- See those same sights from the AIR! Jump the queue by booking a 'tour' on the London Eye, and hear lots of interesting stories and legends about the iconic London buildings you see. Read full review.
- Southbank is an entertainment centre opposite Big Ben, and next to the London Eye. There's lots to see and do including street entertainment, and this three-storey games arcade, Namco Funscape. It's the first place we've ever ridden the Typhoon "rollercoaster" slot car ride. Awesome fun!
- Enjoy the Punch and Judy Festival in Covent Garden
Best Zoo in London
- Eat afternoon tea at London Zoo
- Read about the Bedbugs Sleepover with kids experience at the zoo
- Easiest way to get to London Zoo
- Animal lovers should check out the Junior Zoo Keeper for the Day programs
- Once in a lifetime experience - stay in a safari tent at the Zoo
If you are visiting London, you might take a side trip to London's close proximity to two of the world's greatest cities - Paris and Rome.
Take a peek at our favourite kid-friendly places to visit in Paris and Rome at the links above.
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. This means if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.
Read through the list in more detail below...
Punch and Judy Festival Covent Garden – Why, and When in 2017? Every year in May, there is a Punch and Judy Festival Covent Garden. This fun festival is a popular annual treat for families. Punch and Judy Professors and Puppeteers from all over the country come to perform Punch and Judy Puppet shows throughout […]
Fancy Afternoon Tea at London Zoo with CUTE FOOD for the kids! Roam the Gnome LOVES a delicious afternoon tea, and this one would make his heart race with delight! He loves nothing better than CUTE FOOD and this Afternoon Tea at London Zoo has a selection of sweet and savoury treats to satisfy […]
SPECIAL OFFER: BOOK 2 CHILD TICKETS ON ANY AUGUST LONDON ZOO BEDBUGS SLEEPOVER AND RECEIVE 1 FREE ADULT TICKET! Would your kids LOVE the idea of sleeping overnight in the BIG BUG HOUSE at London’s ZSL Zoo? Are they aged 7 – 11 years old? If so, your family is in luck. […]
Need Help getting to London Zoo UK? Here’s all the info you’ll need on getting to London Zoo UK. The Zoo’s address is: Regent’s Park London NW1 4RY UK. By Underground (TUBE) ZSL London Zoo is within walking distance of Camden Town and Regent’s Park stations and short bus ride from Baker Street station. Visitors are […]
Enrol your child to be a Junior Zoo Keeper for the Day UK – LONDON ZOO. Are you visiting London with your animal-mad kids? If you are, you need to know about this one-of-a-kind zoo experience where the kids can become a Junior Zoo Keeper for the Day UK at the London […]
Hear the Lions Roar at the London Zoo Safari Sleepover! Looking for THE BEST special treat for your animal-mad kids when you head to London? We’ve found it. Brand-new for 2016, the London Zoo Safari Sleepover at the Gir Lion Lodge is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to stay overnight within earshot of roaring […]
Image credit London Zoo Animals – Our Pick of the Bunch London Zoo animals. Did you know there is a new interactive exhibition at London Zoo called the Land of the Lions? Get up close and personal with mighty Asiatic lions in this Indian themed display. It’s really quite something! Here’s a sneak peek video inside […]