Natural History Museum London with Kids – Enter via Exhibition Road The Natural History Museum London with kids was fun but not without its’ challenges! This is the most confusing museum layout we’ve ever encountered, with up and down levels randomly encountered, and it’s so easy to miss stuff. Definitely spend the £1 […]
Say hello to ROAM THE GNOME Family Travel Website.
The one-stop shop for SUPER DOOPER FUN ideas & activities for family travel in London with Kids. (Hot tip: Click this link for our Ultimate Guide to London for Families.
London is in our Top Five of Fun Family Cities around the world to visit at least once.
The city's biggest Toy Shop is on one of London's most picturesque streets. It's also very close to a few fabulous playgrounds in Regents Park, but you have to walk past iconic fashion stores and famous Department stores to get there. Sounds like the perfect place to offer a bribe to the kids for a win-win!
There's a GLASS WALKWAY at the Tower of London and the kids love it. Roam the Gnome, and I did too. (Plus, there's a sticker book adventure to keep the kids engaged) Read our review.
Harrods with Kids is an awesome day out! (Hot tip: Join the Kids Club before you visit and join in special themed events with the locals - read how in our full review)
There's tonnes of family friendly museums with hands-on activities. Our favourite of the bunch is a toss up between the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, or the Discover Story Centre in Stratford. If you have time, visit both!
If you are visiting London with kids, Roam the Gnome Family Travel Blog will help save you time, stress & money when planning to BOOK YOUR NEXT TRIP!
Destination: London with Kids
We've said it before, and we'll say it again. London with kids is a must-do holiday, and you CAN do it on a budget if you choose.
The best thing is there's so many free things to do with kids in London, so you can save your pennies and pounds for delicious food, souvenirs, and special bucket list adventures.
Here's a few more ideas to start you planning.
London Hotels for Kids
On our most recent trip, we stayed at the Grand Plaza Apartments in Bayswater. Check latest prices. Read full review.
Notting Hill, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and the Princess Diana Memorial Playground are on your doorstep, and the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum of London are just a 15 minute stroll away.
You will NOT find any better location in the city for a family stay, and this posh Victorian townhouse style of hotel makes you feel like near-royalty.
More Family Hotels in London
- The Athenaeum Hotel in London welcomes kids
- Enjoy a Five-Star stay at the Savoy London. They have a dedicated kids menu, and so many other goodies for kids, a short stay is on the top of our bucket list.
London Shopping with kids
- Visit Benjamin Pollocks toyshop in Covent Garden and pick up a timeless classic toy from Victorian days
- Old Spitalfields Markets is a great rainy day adventure for shoppers
- Go Souvenir Shopping for chocolate treats and more at M&M's World in London
Eating in London with kids
- Do not leave London without trying at crepe at the Portobello Market - the market was also the famous setting for the romantic comedy Notting Hill, featuring Hollywood stars Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant!
- Try all kinds of world cuisine at these affordable Sunday food markets - you'll roll out!
- Need a quick budget breakfast before a big day of London sightseeing? We love the bakery chain, Pret a Manger - we recommend trying their soups for lunch too.
- Try delicious bubble tea at the Candy Cafe in London
- This quirky cafe sells breakfast cereal all day long!
London Playgrounds for Kids
- Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Hyde Park (Kensington Gardens) is very busy but a must-do playground for kids in London. Go early!
- This cool nature playground is right below the London Eye!
- Marylebone Green playground in Regent's Park has three parts and it's one of our favourites in London
- Primrose Hill Playground is right near London Zoo
- Kids can climb big boulders at Pleasure Gardens Adventure Playground near Olympic Stadium
- Gloucester Gate playground - exciting upgrades taking place now
- The Zoo has an animal-themed adventure playground!
- Regents Park Hanover Gate playground is another park with TWO different playground areas
Art Galleries and Museums in London for kids
- Do not miss the Museum of Childhood - this should be on the itinerary for every family visiting the city with kids
- Skip Buckingham Palace - take the kids here instead to see Royal Life at work
- TONNES of hands-on activities for kids at the Science Museum
- Take a walk back in time to see Victorian toys on display at Pollocks Toy Museum on Goodge St
- The Natural History Museum has the BEST entrance to a museum we've ever seen!
- See British Pageantry come to life at the Changing of the Guard ceremony
- Looking for something different to do? Visit the London Airforce Museum with kids
- London Transport Museum is a favourite of local London families
Things to do in London with Kids
- Take a family cruise on the Thames and see so many of London's big sights!
- See those same sights from the AIR! Jump the queue by booking a 'tour' on the London Eye, and hear lots of interesting stories and legends about the iconic London buildings you see. Read full review.
- Southbank is an entertainment centre opposite Big Ben, and next to the London Eye. There's lots to see and do including street entertainment, and this three-storey games arcade, Namco Funscape. It's the first place we've ever ridden the Typhoon "rollercoaster" slot car ride. Awesome fun!
- Enjoy the Punch and Judy Festival in Covent Garden
Best Zoo in London
- Eat afternoon tea at London Zoo
- Read about the Bedbugs Sleepover with kids experience at the zoo
- Easiest way to get to London Zoo
- Animal lovers should check out the Junior Zoo Keeper for the Day programs
- Once in a lifetime experience - stay in a safari tent at the Zoo
If you are visiting London, you might take a side trip to London's close proximity to two of the world's greatest cities - Paris and Rome.
Take a peek at our favourite kid-friendly places to visit in Paris and Rome at the links above.
Sign up for our Family Travel newsletter so you never miss the good stuff!
(We promise never to spam you with silly rubbish, but only SUPER DOOPER FUN family travel inspiration you'll love.)
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. This means if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.
Read through the list in more detail below...
Museum of Childhood London Review – Roam the Gnome visits! Museum of Childhood London Review – This place sits at the top of our list of SUPER FUN places to visit with the kids in London AND it’s FREE! Who could ask for more. The family can easily spend […]
Image credit Household Cavalry Museum – Let the Kids See Behind the Scenes of a Real Job! If your kids LOVE horses, you might like to take them behind the scenes to see the troopers from the Queen’s Life Guard ceremony working with the horses in the original 18th century stables. […]
Science Museum London – Head Straight to the THIRD FLOOR and the Launchpad Gallery for Kids aged 8 -14! World Schooling – teaching your kids as you travel! Do yourself a favour and head here first. This place is not just for kids 8 -14 as the brochure said – my boys […]
Image credit Watching the Changing of the Guards with Kids for British Pageantry at its’ finest! Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace is the ceremony where the Old Guard sentries hands over responsibility for protecting Buckingham Palace and St. James’s Palace to the New Guard sentries. The Guards themselves are immaculately […]
Brick Lane Market Sunday – A FEAST for the eyes AND tummy! You must wander through the Brick Lane Market Sunday is the best day to go because the Sunday Upmarket and Boiler House Food Hall is in full swing! Wedged in between Spitalfields and the actual Brick Lane road, it’s East […]
London Air Force Museum – Visit the Aeronauts Interactive Gallery for Kids Here’s a fun FREE thing to do for kids and families with an interest in planes and aircraft. Situated on the historic site of Hendon’s London Aerodrome in Colindale, the North London Museum is one of two sites belonging to […]
Candy Cafe Bubble Tea London – If you haven’t tried a Bubble Tea, you’re missing out! The Candy Cafe Bubble Tea London shop was one of the first places to offer Bubble Teas in London and while a thousand other ‘bubble tea’ chains have popped up since, nothing beats the original. […]