- 1 London Air Force Museum – Visit the Aeronauts Interactive Gallery for Kids
- 2 Worldschooling- Teaching Kids as You Travel.
- 3 But the best bit? Aeronauts!
- 4 The Inside Scoop
- 5 Eat and Drink
- 6 Our Top Tips
- 7 Thinking about a family trip to London?
- 8 Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
- 9 Instagram: Family Travel Ideas with Roam the Gnome
- 10 Click here to follow us!
London Air Force Museum – Visit the Aeronauts Interactive Gallery for Kids
Here’s a fun FREE thing to do for kids and families with an interest in planes and aircraft. Situated on the historic site of Hendon’s London Aerodrome in Colindale, the North London Museum is one of two sites belonging to the U.K’s only national museum that tells the story of the Royal Air Force through its people. It houses a world-class collection of aircraft, aviation artefacts and memorabilia.
Worldschooling- Teaching Kids as You Travel.
There’s plenty of hands-on action and lots to see too. You can:
- Stand in awe underneath our Eurofighter Typhoon.
- Visit the Milestones of Flight Building and see the Pioneers Terrace, Aviation History Timeline and Eurofighter Simulator
- Enter the next dimension with our 4D Theatre (£4 per person, or a family ticket for 4 people for £12). 4D combines cutting-edge 3D computer animation with dynamic seating and special environmental effects to put you centre stage. There are 6 different films rotating. You may become the brave pilot of a B-17 Bomber on a mission over enemy territory; a crack pilot in the desert race of your life; or time traveller, fast-forwarding through the decades as you witness the greatest advances of aviation technology. Films are 4 – 10 minutes long in duration.
- Navigate through our mighty Sunderland Flying Boat, and all the different marine craft
- Go up close and personal with some very early aircraft designs through to the latest modern day jets and military aircraft – there’s over 100 historic and groundbreaking aircraft on site. The oldest aircraft in the collection and the Vickers Vimy, SE5a, and Bristol Monoplane can be found in the Graham White Factory and Watch Office.
- Watch the sound and light show “Our Finest Hour” (located in the Battle of Britain Hall), a stunning audiovisual presentation of the Battle. It is shown every hour on the hour. (Open 12pm – 6pm daily).
- Marvel at the life-sized model of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jet – the only place in the world where it is on display.
- Ride one of the Museums two Flight Simulators, one in the new Milestones of Flight exhibition and one in the Historic Hangars. A charge of £3.00 applies, each ride lasts 4 minutes and there is a height restriction of 1.2m.
- Listen to Winston Churchill give his ‘Battle of Britain’ speech to a fearful nation from his 10 Downing Street Office.
- Check out the ‘Bomb Bay’ television underneath our gigantic Vulcan Bomber. While you are there, see the Buccaneer, Halifax, Lancaster, Vulcan, and Liberator bomber aircraft and the Dambusters Film Show
- Discover the amazing heroes, heroines and trailblazers who have contributed so much to the development of flight and the RAF.
- View the permanent and temporary exhibitions and displays, including the stunning new exhibition, First World War in the Air.
- Check out their full calendar of free educational events and exhibitions – bringing aircraft to life!
But the best bit? Aeronauts!
Aeronauts! is London Air Force Museum’s science interactive gallery for all ages is packed with over 50 purpose-built hands-on exhibits demonstrating how aircraft fly.
- Could you become a pilot?
- Test your reaction times and vision!
- Take the controls of a helicopter and have a go at low level hang-gliding.
Please note: Children must be supervised in Aeronauts at all times by a responsible adult.
The Inside Scoop
- 10am – 6pm . Last entry 5:30pm. March to October
- 10am – 5pm. Last entry 4.30pm. November to February
- Entry is FREE!
- A car parking charge is payable. Car Park fees are: 0-3 Hours – £3.00 per vehicle, 3-6 Hours – £4.00 per vehicle
- Phone: 020 8205 2266
- London Air Force Museum Website
- Email (guest relations): firstname.lastname@example.org
The London Air Force Museum is just 30 minutes from central London.
- 10 minutes from Junction 4 of the M1 by car. SAT NAV Users. Please use postcode NW9 5QW.
- 30 minutes from Central London by Tube via the Northern Line (Edgware Branch)- Disembark at Colindale Station, then an 8 minute bus ride or a brisk 12 minute walk from Colindale Underground Station
- If you are travelling to us from Mill Hill Broadway Station, please take the 303 Bus from Mill Hill Broadway to Colindale, then an 8 minute bus ride or a brisk 12 minute walk from Colindale Underground Station
- Alternatively the Museum is a 25 minute walk from Mill Hill Broadway Station.
Location and Map
- Address: RAF Museum London, Grahame Park Way, London, NW9 5LL
Eat and Drink
- BYO food and drinks.There is an indoor picnic area at the entrance to the Aeronauts Interactive Centre in the Historic Hangars The outdoor picnic area is on the grassed area adjacent to the Battle of Britain Hall.
- The Wessex Café in Historic Hangars has coffee, cappuccino, teas and light snacks. Open from 10:00 to 17:30 every day.
- The Echo Alpha Tango Restaurant which is located next door to our Battle of Britain Hall has home-made cakes, hot meals, sandwiches and variety of healthy “small person meals” and of course “smaller” big portions. Chilled beer and wine available. If you do have any dietary concerns please contact the restaurant direct on 0208 358 4936. They will try to assist. Open from 10:00 – 16:00 (hot food served until 14.30) Monday to Friday during Term Time, 10:00 – 17:00 (hot food served until 15.30) Weekends, Half Terms and Bank Holidays.
Our Top Tips
- Take a virtual tour before you go. Try this one of the Bomber Hall
- For passionate aviation enthusiasts, the RAF gift shop has quality and authentic RAF and aviation products available. Choose from RAF cufflinks, books, model airplanes, DVDs, clothing, children’s clothing, RAF games, RAF badges, and an RAF flying suits too! All proceeds from the sale of products on this website support the charitable work of the Royal Air Force museum.
Thinking about a family trip to London?
Here’s a link to find ALL the family-friendly info you’ll need on places to stay, where to eat, and SUPER DOOPER fun things to do!
Toadstool Rating (by the kids)
Family Travel Ideas with Roam the Gnome
We love to share the SUPER FUN kid-friendly stuff we find around the world, so you can go there too!