INSIDE: The Ultimate Guide on How to Win Family Travel Competitions.
Want to Win a FREE holiday, or win a trip to New York?
Or want to win a trip to Europe, or win a trip to Italy?
Triple your chances by entering MORE competitions.
In the past three months, we’ve won TWO!
Our experiences are proof.
There’s definitely luck involved, but winning a family holiday is also about creativity, serendipity, and being in the know.
Take a look at our guide and tips on how to win FREE trips!
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
This is us at Hells Gate Geothermal Park in Rotorua New Zealand, one of our prizes.
- 1 Enter Family Travel Competitions to WIN FREE STUFF
- 2 Enter to win tickets & win prizes!
- 3 TOP 7 TIPS TO WIN A FREE HOLIDAY
- 4 Types of Holiday Travel Competitions to Win a Vacation
- 5 WHERE TO FIND FAMILY HOLIDAY COMPETITIONS TO ENTER
- 6 Competition Websites
- 7 Newspapers
- 8 Local Newspapers & Local Radio
- 9 Magazines
- 10 TV station websites
- 11 Blogs
- 12 Family Travel Websites
- 13 Local Kids & Family Websites in each City
- 14 Travel Magazines/Websites
- 15 Travel Agencies, Booking Operators & Brands
- 16 Win a Trip Overseas through the Airlines
- 17 Hotels & Resorts
- 18 Win Travel Goods
- 19 National Family Competition Websites
- 20 Win a Trip Overseas through Travel TV Shows
- 21 Check out the Big Company Brands
- 22 Destination Marketing & Local Tourism Boards
- 23 LIKE these Facebook Groups
- 24 Win on Instagram
- 25 Win Disney Family Travel Competitions?
- 26 Travel Writing Competitions
- 27 Did we miss anything about how to win a family holiday ?
- 28 Don’t want to wait to win? Book a holiday to one of these fun cities to visit with kids!
Enter Family Travel Competitions to WIN FREE STUFF
The first thing is to FIND a stack of family travel competitions.
This is where most of us trip up.
It’s easy to enter holiday competitions that come our way without any effort:
- the ones we see pop up in our facebook feed
- or a sponsored giveaway hosted by someone we follow on Instagram.
But the trick to winning competitions is to enter the obscure ones, where there are less entries, simply because their audience is smaller, or their target market is harder to reach.
You might not win a holiday to Europe straight away, but you do have a chance to win a self-drive weekend getaway, flights to the Gold Coast combined with a fun hotel stay, or a package of free entry to a bunch of local attractions.
It is competition time, every single day, with few barriers to entry.
Rotorua Duck Tours, the best attraction ticket we’ve ever won!
Enter to win tickets & win prizes!
That’s our motto.
Be in it to win it.
If you want to know how to win travel competitions, it’s that simple.
There’s nothing to lose except a few minutes of your time (time you’d probably waste on social media in any case) so make your time work for you. There’s luxury holidays with return airfares, 5 night holidays, grand prize trips with business class travel included, and more out there to win.
Follow our steps and become a winner too!
TOP 7 TIPS TO WIN A FREE HOLIDAY
Want to try and win a trip?
Tip One: Set up a dedicated email for your comp entries
Set up a new short and simple email address that you will use exclusively for competition entries only.
Gmail is a good bet. You’ll be typing this again and again so make it easy.
Try something like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or something equally motivating!
Tip Two: Sign up for ALL the newsletters.
And I mean ALL of them. (We’ll get to this in a moment)
Tip Three: Follow these Facebook Pages
Be strategic and sign up to ALL the best Travel and Tourism Facebook Pages.
Then scour FB for big brands, and family blogger pages too (We’ll tell you where to look).
Set your notifications to ‘see first ‘ so potential competitions appear at the top of your feed.
Tip Four: Scour Instagram
Do a Hashtag Search for “Travel” related feeds and follow the best Family Travel influencers.
Hot tip: Be discriminate. Take a quick look at their feeds to determine if they post sponsored content and giveaways before you press Follow.
Tip Five: Dedicate TEN minutes to checking emails.
Set aside 10 minutes a day to scroll your email, and enter any new competitions that go live.
Tip Six: Flip through social media
Use your first 10 minutes on each social media platform (FB, insta) to enter travel competitions you find in your feeds.
Pick one or two social platforms. It’s impossible to engage with them all.
Tip Seven: Bookmark your faves.
Bookmark your favourite websites from the lists below, and check in once a week to see if they’ve uploaded any new travel competitions to enter
It’s a numbers game when you enter contests to win trips.
Sooner or later, depending on skill or luck, that super exciting email will slide on into your account (or you’ll take a random phone call) and you’ll join the ranks of prizewinners too. One lucky person will, that’s for certain.
I can’t wait to hear about it!
Do let me know!
Types of Holiday Travel Competitions to Win a Vacation
These are the most popular travel competitions for holidays and vacations.
- 25 words or less. Our favourite. The higher barrier to entry (more time as you have to think up something to write) means less people bother. Jump on it.
- Free online competitions. We’ll help you find the best sources below.
- Twitter, and Instagram competitions. We’ll give you our top Insta tips below
- SMS competitions
- Photo competitions. Everyone is a photographer these days, so it takes talent and skill to win these comps.
- Video competitions. Too much work to film and edit for most people, unless it’s a prize they really covet. Creativity plays a big part in winning these. But we’re a bit sceptical it’s a way for these wealthy companies to get FREE user generated content. Not a fan. Up to you to weigh up whether or not the prize is worth your effort.
- Email newsletter sign up competitions. A chance to win a prize for subscribing to their content
- Quick entry competitions. Add your name and email in less than 10 seconds to enter a holiday giveaway.
- Instant win competitions (Via fuel station receipts, scratch tickets, purchase of drinks/food at the supermarket, and at fast food outlets like McDonalds etc)
- Supermarket promotions. Where you must buy the right product to receive an entry in the draw, then visit their website to plug that number in to see the result. Fair chance, as lots of people are too busy to check receipts, or follow through.
- Supermarket website competitions. Go to their website, and enter to win prizes online.
- Website competitions. Visit the websites of smaller brands across all niches, or family sites (like Kidspot or Mum Central) to find new competitions each week.
- Travel Sweepstakes. These are free travel competitions – a promotional draw where travel prizes (usually one big prize, and a few runner up prizes) are given away to a few chosen participants.
- Facebook competitions where you add your name, email and press go. We like these.
- Facebook Rafflecopter or Gleam competitions. No. No. No.
We avoid entering competitions when they use the Gleam or Rafflecopter app. Aggghhhhhhh!!!!
It’s takes too much effort and time to click all those boxes to increase your chances of winning, unless it’s a big ticket prize like an $11,000 trip to Whistler.
But high chance of reward if you can be bothered, as most people can’t be.
Ned tasting snow during our Blue Mountains holiday competition prize stay.
WHERE TO FIND FAMILY HOLIDAY COMPETITIONS TO ENTER
This is the fun part.
Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and come with me on a little adventure.
I’ll show you where to find Holiday Competitions to enter.
These websites gather current competitions in one place. They are handy pages to bookmark, but not our favourite source as entry is too easy.
Even lazy people can enter, which means more challengers in the count.
But they do find sources that you might not find so easily elsewhere so worth a look each week.
They also categorise competitions:.
- Win a Cruise
- Win a Camera (to take pics on your winning trip!)
- Win tickets to events
- Win a Trip to the USA
- International Travel Contests
We love winning tickets to events, especially VIP experiences. These are easy wins, and keep us in the game.
We also save the money we would have spent if we were going to buy tickets to the event or show in any case, and pop it in our Bucket List travel fund too!
We know people who enter all the competitions, then sell their prizes to fund more travel too. It’s another option!
Newspapers, both online and in hard copy, often have travel competitions to enter. They often feature prizes like overnight rail journeys across country, weekend pamper sessions at upmarket hotel and spas, and accommodation packages tied to new shows coming to town.
Bookmark the papers you like, and check in weekly.
- Herald Sun (VIC)
- The Daily Telegraph (NSW)
- Geelong Advertiser (VIC)
- Gold Coast Bulletin (QLD)
- Courier Mail (QLD)
- NewsMail (QLD)
- Townsville Bulletin (QLD)
- Perth Now (WA)
- NT News (NT)
- Mercury (TAS)
- Adelaide Now (SA)
Here’s a list you can bookmark.
Local Newspapers & Local Radio
You can also Google “Local Newspaper Competitions” or check out the websites of local radio stations.
This is where you’ll definitely find chances to win tickets to:
- the movies
- upcoming local events
- theme parks
- entry to one-off themed events during special holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Halloween,
- and more.
They may also feature prizes like two nights mid-week accommodation as part of a marketing campaign for one of their advertisers. These competitions have much less competition than national newspapers or nationally syndicated radio, and more chances to win!
These kinds of prizes let you explore your own city. That’s as good as a holiday too!
There are tonnes of mainstream and niche magazines with holiday competitions to enter.
Check out your local newsagent or library, and read the index page to see if they have a WIN page on their website. If they do, take note and bookmark it.
TV station websites
This is DEFINITELY the easiest way to win tickets for local events and entry to attractions across Australia.
Lots of companies and brands approach medium and big bloggers, invite them to launch events, and then partner with them so the bloggers showcase the event or attraction to their readers. This is very good news for us.
Enter all the blog competitions you can find.
I KNOW for a fact that lots of bloggers (even BIG bloggers) are having a harder and harder time attracting entries for their competitions, even when the prizes are worth hundreds of dollars.
People are busy, and unlike 5 or 10 years ago, rarely comment on blogs or have a minute to do the thing the blogger requires you do to enter.
Get on it quick smart for quick wins.
- Be a Fun Mum
- Pickle Bums
- Living Loving Laughing
- The Organised Housewife
- Laughing Kids Learn
- The Craft Train
- Childhood 101
- You Clever Monkey
- My Poppet
Follow their FB and Instagram pages to keep in the loop.
Family Travel Websites
Sign up to their newsletters to find out about upcoming competitions. Some of them require you to stay somewhere, or visit somewhere to be in the running, but many don’t.
Local Kids & Family Websites in each City
Every city in Australia (and in most western cities across the world) has local kids sites. Brands and PR managers across the country connect with these sites and give them event tickets to give away. One of our favourite ways to win.
You might just find yourself with tickets to the Ekka or Easter Show, with free showbags thrown in!
Hot tip: Don’t limit yourself to entering competitions for free tickets in your local city or town.
We’ve won stuff in other states – family passes to local attractions and event tickets – and this has “forced us” to take a quick trip on the next school holidays or long weekend! (The FORCE to travel for FREE things is strong in this house!)
When you are planning a holiday to a new destination, look up their local kids magazines and websites in their city, and enter all the comps offering free entry to local attractions.
There’s also usually kids competitions too.
A win gives you a few more dollars for souvenirs!
- Haven (Gold Coast)
- Kids on the Coast (Gold Coast)
- Families Magazine (City by city)
- Brisbane Kids My friend Ngaire, and her team.
- Child Mags
- Kid Magazine (say hi to Sara for me!)
All these travel magazines host regular monthly competitions.
- Australian Traveller
- The Weekend Edition
- Urban List
Travel Agencies, Booking Operators & Brands
Sign up to your favourite travel companies for a chance to win big epic prizes in their travel contests.
- STA Travel
- Flight Centre
- Covermore Insurance
- Student Flights
- Top Deck
- Trip a Deal package holidays
- Cruise operators and cruise travel agents
Win a Trip Overseas through the Airlines
Sign up for their newsletters, and google their Inflight Magazines to find current comps too.
Some of our favourites airlines include:
- Cathay Pacific
- Singapore Air
- Swiss Air
- British Airways
- Air New Zealand
- Ethihad Airways
Hotels & Resorts
Individual hotel chains and boutique hotels usually have an email list you can subscribe to. They host competitions from time to time for their subscribers.
- QT Hotels (pictured above)
- Wyndham Vacations Hotel Group
- Marriott International
- Hard Rock Hotels
- Four Seasons
- Accor Group
- Conrad Hotels
- Best Western
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts
- Ritz Carlton
- Radisson Hotels
- Mantra Hotels
Plus sign up to the newsletters of all your favourite family hotel destinations.
- Disney’s Deluxe Resort Hotels (Disney World)
- Disneyland Hotels
- Disney Aulani in Hawaii
- Club Med
- Loews Hotels
- Universal Studios Hotels
- Legoland Hotels USA (Can also subscribe to Legoland Hotels around the world – UK, Malaysia, Denmark, Germany)
- Great Wolf Lodge
- Kalahari Resorts
Win Travel Goods
Don’t forget the Travel Goods store newsletters too. They run comps for travel goods regularly, plus offer the odd trip.
- American Tourister, Samsonite, Antler, and your favourite suitcase brands
- Pacsafe smart travel gear
- Trunki children’s suitcases
National Family Competition Websites
There are tonnes of competitions on national family and parenting sites.
- Kidspot. Type ‘competitions’ in the search bar.
- Mum Central (Adelaide-based and around Australia)
- Mouths of Mums
- Mums Grapevine
Win a Trip Overseas through Travel TV Shows
The hardest to win, but take a shot as the value of these prizes makes it worth your while. It’s where you can win a trip to Bali, or win a free holiday to Europe too.
- Getaway (often partnering with Scenic Cruises)
Check out the Big Company Brands
Check out the big companies we all know and love.
The ones you hear advertised on the radio or in full page ads in the paper.
Be sure to throw your net wide and take a look at all kinds of businesses, not just the obvious ones with connection to travel.
- Shell, BP & Caltex Fuel Supplies
- Electricity Companies
- Triple M (and other radio stations)
- RACQ/ RACV
- Teds Cameras
Teds Cameras recently ran a Junior Explorers family travel competition to win a 28 day trip, travelling around Australia in an Apollo Motorhome!
We were finalists in a similar competition last year with Dometic to do something similar.
We didn’t win, but our friends at Adventure Mama won a three-month all-expenses-paid road trip around Australia!
The Ploughmans lunch at the Gallery Cafe, part of the prize we won thanks to Blue Mountains Attractions Group
Destination Marketing & Local Tourism Boards
We won two nights accommodation at Jungle Lodge in the Blue Mountains Botanical Gardens, plus $120 to spend on lunch at the Blue Mountains Art Gallery, two annual family passes to the National Trust, and tickets for 4 adults to enjoy High Tea at the iconic Hydro-Majestic hotel.
A win valued at over $1500, courtesy of Blue Mountains Attraction Group via a 25 words or less competition. Read all about it here. (Coming soon)
We strongly encourage you to sign up for emails from:
- Local Destination Marketing Organisations in your local city (eg Destination Byron, Destination Gold Coast, Blue Mountains Attractions Group )
- State Tourism Marketing Boards (Visit Victoria, Destination NSW, Queensland)
- Tourism marketing bodies in the cities and countries you plan to visit (Visit Japan, Visit Thailand)
- Local travel guides and operators in your city, and in your next holiday destination too (eg Tasmanian Expeditions)
- Small accommodation providers who join forces (eg Blue Mountains Accommodation and Tourism Organisation)
- Visitor Information Centres
- Airport Newsletters (Changi is a must!)
- Shopping Malls
- Combined Operators in the city (eg Brisbane International Hotels)
- Travel Expos (Visit these in person to find more competitions to enter!) – Sign up to hear about Industry Nights
LIKE these Facebook Groups
- Once you’ve found your favourite Destination Marketing organisations (above), LIKE their FB pages too.
- If you don’t already, follow your favourite bloggers on Facebook (and think about joining their groups too).
Win on Instagram
Follow your favourite family travel influencers as they partner with brands and regularly offer chances to win the same experiences they’ve been lucky enough to enjoy.
It’s how we won our trip to Rotorua through Travel Mad Mum!
Also, search these hashtags: #win #competition #free #giveaway #giveaways #prizes #freestuff #tagcontest #followcontest #travelcontest # lucky #chance #luckydraw #luckywinner
- Travel Mad Mum
- Y Travel Blog
- Travel Babbo
- The Blonde Nomads
Win Disney Family Travel Competitions?
If dreams were to come true, I’d love to win a family travel competition to Disneyland or Disney World, or a stay at Disney Aulani Resort in Hawaii.
From time to time, big companies such as Qantas, Virgin Australia, Getaway, Spotlight, Woolworths, Coles, and Foxtel try to make someone’s wish come true.
Your best bet is to google “Win a Family Holiday to Disneyland (year)” on the first of every month, and try your luck.
Someone’s got to win a trip to Disneyland!
Might as well be you (or me!)
You can also subscribe to the Disney newsletter for chances to win invitations to Movie Premieres, Disney on Ice extravaganzas, Disney prize packs and more.
Travel Writing Competitions
Last but not least, you can try to win a trip by entering Travel writing competitions to win a free holiday in Australia, or perhaps win a trip overseas.
This is one competition where talent overrides luck. If writing is your thing, join the fun!
- Lonely Planet
- Australian Writers Centre
Our Jungle Lodge accommodation in the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden
Did we miss anything about how to win a family holiday ?
Email me at email@example.com to share your tips and ideas on how to win a family trip too.
Sign up to our Family Travel Newsletter in the side bar so you never miss a thing!
Don’t want to wait to win? Book a holiday to one of these fun cities to visit with kids!
We’d love to help. Click the links in blue below for our Ultimate Destination Guides.
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in US dollars, unless otherwise stated.
This website contains references to products and services from our favourite brands. Some of these are affiliate links. If you make a purchase or booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO COST to you. For our Disclosure and Disclaimer statements, and an explanation of our Advertising policy please click here
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory. Bookmark this page to keep us safe and sound.