Yard Apes Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast.
This indoor playground is a bit different to the norm.
For starters, there’s a breeze of FRESH air, and the cafe has both indoor and outdoor seating. The happiest mums on the hot day we visited were the ones who arrived first, snaring the seats where the cool breeze wafted over.
But in the cooler months, the openness of the space, and that circulating fresh air is the number one reason we’d head to this play centre.
- 1 Yard Apes Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast
- 2 What can you do at Yard Apes Play Centre
- 3 More stuff to do at Yard Apes
- 4 For the Under Two’s
- 5 Yard Apes Adventure Playground Cafe
- 6 The Outdoor Play Area at Yard Apes Upper Coomera
- 7 Birthday Parties at this Indoor Playground Gold Coast
- 8 The Inside Scoop – Kids Play Centre Gold Coast
- 9 Toadstool Rating – Yard Apes Coomera (now known as Big Top Playhouse).
- 10 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do on the Gold Coast with kids?
Yard Apes Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast
Yard Apes indoor playground, now with the new name of Big Top Playhouse, is on the northern end of town in Upper Coomera. It’s smack bang in the middle of the industrial estate, which means there’s no worries about how much noise the kids will make!
It’s the first indoor playcentre we’ve come across that has access to the outdoors and fresh air, a nice change from air-conditioned confines, BUT it does mean that this playcentre is hotter than normal, especially if you visit as we did in the summer months. It was stifling.
(Update: Roller Doors are open everyday for fresh air ventilation, but right now, the new owners are sourcing a new cooling system to be installed during upcoming renovations.)
What can you do at Yard Apes Play Centre
Kids 5 + with socks on their feet can explore the clean and well-kept multi-level climbing structure. There’s punching bags, obstacles to scale, poles to weave through, two giant slides, mesh tunnels, and climbing mats.
My boys headed straight to the Airgun Battle Zone.
Beware of the NOISY ALARMS! When the kids have popped enough balls into the loading tubes that zip the balls upwards, and the bucket has filled, an alarm sounds to warn children of impending doom – balls falling!
(I did investigate and it seems the kids can press go on this action via a handy button, which may explain the repetitiveness of the alarm sounding!)
Jack was in his element, filling a plastic shopping basket with balls, then loading them into the airgun to fire.
Here’s something new – parents are encouraged to play with their children in the Big Top Playhouse modular structure. Woo hoo! Double the fun.
More stuff to do at Yard Apes
There’s a small movie-watching zone with comfortable chairs to lounge in, and a chalkboard wall.
The highlight for Jack was a DISCO ROOM, with flashing strobe lights, and a musical playlist of Hot 40 pop songs to dance to.
For the Under Two’s
A separate toddler play area with soft cushioning, miniature slides, games, fisher price toys, climbing mountains and a somewhat tatty-looking ball pit. All Play equipment is disinfected daily.
Yard Apes Adventure Playground Cafe
There’s a small cafe smack bang in the middle of the indoor play centre so visibility is good. There’s also a gated entrance and the chances of your child escaping is almost zero.
Yard Apes Play Centre Gold Coast was very busy on the day we visited, with big groups of mums gathered in the large café area, chatting while their kids played. It’s probably one of the few places where mums can enjoy a coffee AND a chat with friends with children in tow.
There’s also a bookshelf filled with well-loved (but slightly tatty) magazines and reading material for those who are on a self-technology ban.
I ordered a Chai Latte, and it must have been good. You’ll have to ask Ned, who quickly snaffled it from me and swallowed it up!
With only two staff onsite during our visit, the ladies were run off their feet so I can’t tell you much more about the menu or food on offer.
More staff would be helpful. The kitchen, the café tables, and the toddler play areas looked in need of a good clean and tidy up, but perhaps we just caught them at the wrong time.
The Outdoor Play Area at Yard Apes Upper Coomera
Outdoors, you’ll find more seating booths with umbrellas to ward off the sun, a toddler-style bike track in a figure-of-eight and a number of ride-on toys for the under 5’s.
Check out the pictures of Yard Apes Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast below.
Birthday Parties at this Indoor Playground Gold Coast
Did you know that Yard Apes indoor play centre Gold Coast hosts birthday parties too? There’s two dedicated party rooms. Click here for more details and pricing.
The Inside Scoop – Kids Play Centre Gold Coast
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Yard Apes Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast (now known as Big Top Playhouse) is located at 24 Kohl Street Upper Coomera 4209. Please note, Yard Apes is now under new management.
Telephone: 07 5665 9645
Website: Big Top Playhouse
Facebook: Click here for special deals and current events
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – 9am to 3pm
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday – 9am to 5pm
- Sunday – 9am to 4pm
- BYO socks or buy a pair there. No play without socks.
- Babies: Free Entry Under 12months
- Kids Entry: $8.50 per child all ages
- Adults Entry: $3.50 per person. Adult entry also includes a complimentary Tea, Coffee, small soft drink or water bottle.
- Before you go check Groupon and Scoopon for Yard Apes discount vouchers. Click here for Yard Apes Scoopon. Click here for Yard Apes Groupon.
- No outside food can be brought onsite, except for water bottles and baby food. Yard Apes Indoor playground is a Nut Free Zone.
Nearest takeaway coffee: Cafe onsite. BYO water bottles for the kids.
Parking: Plenty of free street parking available outside.
How to get there:
- By Car: (from Robina/Mudgeeraba) Take the M1 to Service Centre Access in Upper Coomera at Exit 54. Take Abraham Road, and Days Road, to Kohl Street. Approximately 22 minutes drive time.
- By Train & Bus: Catch the train to Coomera station. Catch the 721 bus to Days Road, at Coomera Anglican College. Walk 800 metres to Yard Apes/Big Top Playhouse.
Toilets: Toilet facilities onsite including a baby change table area available in a small room with a breastfeeding chair and room for a pram.
Disability access: Limited
Yard Apes/ Big Top Playhouse Indoor Play Centre Gold Coast was last reviewed in April 2018.
Toadstool Rating – Yard Apes Coomera (now known as Big Top Playhouse).
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do on the Gold Coast with kids?
Click the links in blue below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.