INSIDE: Take a sneak peek inside HAMLEYS Toy Store, the Biggest and Best Toy Store in London.
Hamleys Toy Store on Regent Street may be the Biggest Toy Store in London, but it also most certainly the finest.
Opened in 1760, Hamleys London Toy Store has been bringing the joys of toys to kids and families for over 255 years! (Can you even imagine?)
Hamleys London is on Regent Street, one of the most exclusive London addresses for shopping so take the kids to Hamleys first, then enjoy a browse of London’s finest shopping district.
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Biggest Toy Store in London for Toys, Toys, and More Toys
- 2 Hamleys Toys London Demos
- 3 The Hamleys Toy Store London Story
- 4 What I bought at Hamleys Toys Shop – the BEST Toy Store in London
- 5 Nostalgic Childhood Memories at Hamleys London
- 6 WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN STORE AT HAMLEYS LONDON, UK
- 7 Art & Craft Kits at Hamleys Regent Street
- 8 Hamleys LEGO at Hamleys Store
- 9 Pocket Money Toys at the Biggest Hamleys London
- 10 Meet the Royal Family
- 11 The Indoor Train at Hamleys in London
- 12 Visit the Hamleys Lolly Shop
- 13 Eat and Drink at Hamleys Toy Store London
- 14 Hamleys Events including Hamleys Christmas
- 15 Crowd warning for Hamleys at Christmas
- 16 Frequently Asked Questions about Hamleys Famous Toy Store in London
- 17 The Inside Scoop on the Biggest Toy Store in London
- 18 How to get to Hamleys Toy Shop
- 19 Map of Hamleys Regent Street Toy Shop London
- 20 Our Top Tips for London Regent Street Fun!
- 21 Toadstool Rating (by the kids) – “Thanks for Playing!”
- 22 Looking for More Fun Things to Do in London with Kids?
Biggest Toy Store in London for Toys, Toys, and More Toys
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of. All prices in pounds, unless otherwise stated.
The number one reason to LOVE the largest toy store in London?
Super happy staff being paid to play with hands-on gadgets and involve the kids.
These toy demonstrations in Hamleys toy shop happens on EVERY level, and the kids are encouraged to have a go and play with the toys too.
Hamleys Toys London Demos
This large toy store in London stocks:
- flying toys (including the famous Hamleys Flying Cow!)
- beeping toys
- balls of all shapes and sizes
- exciting magic tricks
- make-up tutorials
- racing cars
- yapping flipping-over dogs…
Honestly, who needs a sales pitch?
The interactive opportunities for kids to play with the Hamleys toys is all the marketing they need. Kids do the talking, convincing mums and dads everywhere that THIS toy is the one they have to have.
The Hamleys Toy Store London Story
How it became the biggest toy shop in London
Young William Hamley grew up dreaming of opening the best and biggest toy store in the world. In 1760 his dream came true, and the first incarnation of Hamleys, (then known as Noah’s Ark) was opened, filled with every kind of toy you can imagine.
By the time Queen Victoria came to the throne in 1837, Hamleys was already a London landmark, and the most famous London toy store.
Families made regular expeditions to William’s ‘Joy Emporium’.
The London Flagship Store, a mammoth seven storeys high, didn’t open until 1881 but when it did, people came from all around the world to shop.
The Hamleys Royal Seal of Approval
While the store has faced hard times and short-term closures, particularly through the Depression and War years (Hamleys was bombed 5 times during WWII), in 1938, the Queen gave Walter Lines, the new owner of Hamleys, the Royal Warrant as a seal of approval verifying the quality of the business and their stock.
A second Royal Warrant was awarded to Walter Lines in 1955 as a ‘Toys and Sports Merchant’.
But forget the accolades.
Hamleys London Toy Store staff are rewarded everyday.
Their biggest pat on the back comes when they see the happy children who run through the doors on their search for their new favourite toy.
What I bought at Hamleys Toys Shop – the BEST Toy Store in London
Yes, I succumbed.
We bought the silly and noisy pink yapping dog.
Jack fell in love with it, so we paid the (premium) price so we could bring him home to Australia – via the world.
Jack’s still in love with Pink Puppy to this day – not the yapping or walking, he never liked that – but the pink-turning-grey dog is a much-loved member of his precious soft-toy collection that sits on his bed.
Nostalgic Childhood Memories at Hamleys London
The Number Two reason to love Hamleys toy shop in London?
Nostalgia for long-lost childhoods, and the magic this place generates.
Who cares that most toys in here are priced above the norm? If you want cheap toys in London, shop online.
But if you want to recreate the magic of childhood, visit Hamleys with your kids in tow. (Set a spend limit before you enter though.)
Every floor has a theme
Every floor has a theme of sorts, and interspersed among the toys are also live demos of cool stationery, and interesting pop-up stands where they’ll make you things like a personalised necklace, or cover you in glitter tattoos and body art.
- a floor full of dolls
- a floor full of action figures
- a floor with stuffed animals!
While you can find lots of this stuff online these days, there is nothing kids like better than a wander through a London Toy Store.
If you can bear the noise, the pleadings, and are good at ducking your way out of the line of sight when the pleadings begin, make a special stop.
It’s called making memories.
This is one you’ll be glad you have.
WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN STORE AT HAMLEYS LONDON, UK
Here’s some of the things you’ll find at Hamleys, the Biggest Toy Store in London!
The largest toy store in London stocks:
- Hamleys Paddington Bear (our pick of a toy from childhood. Oh, the nostalgia for this icon!)
- Hamleys soft toys of every shape, and form
- Hamleys toy cars
- The iconic Hamleys London Bus toy
- Die-cast metal toys -cars, buses, aircraft – including Corgi branded ones.
- Sylvanian Families toys
- Barbie toys
- the famous Hamleys Water Color Easel set
- Harry Potter’s Wands, Broom sticks, Capes and Maps
- Cars that can race up the walls and cars that flip, turn, screech, ram… the list goes on.
- The EXCLUSIVE to Hamleys TY Beanie Baby, Hamley the Bear (UK Hamleys Store)
- Hamleys soft toys and stuffed animals (including the signature Hamleys teddy bear)
- Action figures
- Hamleys doll house
- Puzzles and jigsaws
- the Hamleys of London 250th Birthday Beefeater Bear
Art & Craft Kits at Hamleys Regent Street
Looking for Craft kits, Magic tricks, & Dress Up Costumes? You’ll find them here, including the Hamleys magic pens.
Lots of British children wake up on Christmas morning having had a visit from Hamleys Father Christmas!
- Movie merchandise
- Hamleys magic pens
- Hamleys nail art
- Preschool toys and board games
- Educational and interactive toys
- Helicopters, Airplanes and other amazing flying objects
- Arts and Crafts, drawing painting, kits and projects, Double Magic Pens
- Magic tricks, magic supplies, magic kits, crystal balls
- Hamleys bubble muncher (bubble making fun)
- Dolls of all kinds – fancy dolls, classics and collectibles, puppets, doll houses
- Dress ups
- Hamleys Sparkle & Glitter kit to add sparkle to your craft projects
Hamleys LEGO at Hamleys Store
The biggest toy store in London also features:
- Exclusive Hamleys Lego
- Playmobil toys
- Building systems, trucks, tractors and cranes
- Ride on toys, scooters
- Bubble makers, balloons, balls
- Play houses
- Sports games, throwing games, catching games
- Jewellery and nail decoration kits, Make up kits
- Build a Bear workshop
- Hamleys exclusives including Hamleys Magic balloons, and Hamleys glitter tattoos
Pocket Money Toys at the Biggest Hamleys London
There’s LOTS of toys for under £2 each too. It’s the saving grace!
If you want to avoid a big spend, why not gift each child £10, and send them off on a cheap Treasure Hunt?
You’ll be amazed at what you can find.
Take each purchase home in a Hamley’s bag, and they’ll be chuffed with their lot.
Hamleys is the best toy shop in London on a budget for this reason.
Meet the Royal Family
Who needs Buckingham Palace when you can have a life-size LEGO model?
My kids met the Queen! Well, the LEGO version.
The Indoor Train at Hamleys in London
There’s also a life size model of a Tube train, inviting kids inside.
Ned jumped straight in to take the controls and was soon calling stops to the passengers.
Visit the Hamleys Lolly Shop
There’s also a Lolly Store on one floor of the best toy store in London. Wouldn’t be complete without it!
Pic n’ mix sweets are on the 5th floor.
For this reason alone, my kids say Hamleys is the best toy shop in the world.
Eat and Drink at Hamleys Toy Store London
Take the ‘secret’ stairs to the top floor for lunch or a cafe break. There’s also milkshakes!
Hamleys Events including Hamleys Christmas
Did you know you can help Hamley and Hattie Bear open The Finest Toy Shop in the World?
Every morning, meet Hamleys loveable, huggable bears and join in the fun of the countdown to the grand opening. To be one of the lucky children chosen to ring the Hamleys Opening Bell, make sure you arrive in plenty of time.
They also have in store activities at Hamleys throughout the summer, and all year round.
Kids can join in fun activities such as:
- In-store treasure hunts
- Meet the Ringmaster, Pirate, Wizard, Ragdoll and Toy Soldier for our daily summer parade and follow the leader around the store, finishing up with a super special grand finale on 4th floor!
- Puppet Shows
- Movie events
- Shows (such as the Sylvanian Families meet and greet)
Check out Hamleys Events page for details of current Hamleys events.
Hamleys Christmas Events are ever popular.
You can also book a VIP shopping experience behind the scenes.
Crowd warning for Hamleys at Christmas
The huge toy store in London on Regent Street is in one of the busiest shopping districts on the planet.
Of course it will be crowded.
Getting in might be ok.
Getting out might be a different story.
Be prepared to queue to pay for your goods and let the kids suck on a lolly pop while you wait.
When you leave, recover from all that shopping stress by walking straight up Regent’s Street (in the direction of Oxford Circus station) to the re-imagined Marylebone Green playground in Regents Park. (Yes, you can thank me later.)
If you visit at Christmas time, go EARLY.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hamleys Famous Toy Store in London
What is the biggest toy store in London?
Hamley’s toy store.
They also have a smaller outlet at Hamleys London Bridge, located at Unit 73 Hamleys London Bridge Unit SU, 26 Western Ave, London SE1 3QX, UK.
Where is the biggest toy shop in London located?
The world’s biggest toy shop in London is on Regent Street in London. Kate Spade New York, Anthropologie, Zara, Coach, Burberry and Timberland are also on Regent Street.
Do they have a Hamleys Gift Card?
Yes, you can buy Hamleys Gift Vouchers at the best toy store in London, starting from £1, up to £50.
What are the most famous shops in London?
Hamley’s is top of the list, along with Marks and Spencer’s and Liberty London Department stores. Both are within 5 minutes walk of Hamley’s London.
If you are asking, what is the best place to do shopping in London?, Regent Street is your answer.
The Inside Scoop on the Biggest Toy Store in London
Hamleys London Address: Hamleys address is 188-196 Regent Street, London, England
Hamleys London Phone Number: +443717041977
Website: Click here
Email address: Contact the store via this link.
Facebook: Keep up with all the events in the London store by liking their Facebook Page here.
Hamleys London Opening Times
Hamleys opening times are:
- 10am to 9pm Monday to Friday
- 9.30am to 9pm Saturday
- 12pm to 6pm Sunday
Entry Fees: Free entry but good luck getting out without some kind of investment! Hee hee!
How to get to Hamleys Toy Shop
- Oxford Circus – the closest tube station
- Piccadilly Circus
- Tottenham Court Road
- Car Parking is available at the following car parks:
- Brewer Street (W1F 0LA)
- Grosvenor Hill (W1K 3QQ)
- Sanderson House (W1T 3NG)
The best toy store in London is located in the London congestion charge zone, more information is available here.
Click here for other Hamleys Toy Stores around the world.
Map of Hamleys Regent Street Toy Shop London
Our Top Tips for London Regent Street Fun!
Subscribe to these London for Kids magazines for up to date events for Kids in London:
Toadstool Rating (by the kids) – “Thanks for Playing!”
The sign by the door of Hamleys as you exit this London toy store says “Thanks for playing”.
Thank YOU for the fun adventure. We’ll be back.
Double our normal 5 toadstool rating to 10 TOADSTOOLS!
Looking for More Fun Things to Do in London with Kids?
Click the blue links below:
This website contains references to products and services from our favourite brands. Some of these are affiliate links. If you make a purchase or booking after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO COST to you. For our Disclosure and Disclaimer statements, and an explanation of our Advertising policy please click here
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory. Bookmark this page to keep us safe and sound.