INSIDE: Hells Gate Mud Spa Rotorua. Updated 2018.
Hells Gate Mud Spa Rotorua is the BEST mud spa in town to soothe all your muscles and iron out the kinks.
But expect new laughter lines around the eyes and fresh wrinkle-crinkles across the forehead. It’s not possible to keep a poker straight face when friends and family are covered in thick black mud.
We think it’s a fair trade.
A body-shaking belly laugh will release every ounce of leftover tension.
That’s why this Hells Gate Rotorua Mud Bath & Spa Retreat is better than the rest!
- 1 Rotorua Mud Bath and Spa Retreat
- 2 Mud Masks & Mud Beauty Products for Home
- 3 Guided Tour of the Best Thermal Park in Rotorua
- 4 Maori Wood Carving Experience
- 5 The Inside Scoop – Mud Bath Rotorua
- 6 Entry Fees
- 7 Map of Hells Gate Mud Spa Rotorua
- 8 Toadstool Rating – Rotorua Mud Baths
- 9 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Rotorua New Zealand with Kids?
Rotorua Mud Bath and Spa Retreat
Book a visit to the Hells Gate Mud Spa in Rotorua quick smart.
You’ll spend 40 minutes in the mud bath hot tub with your family and friends. (They do their best to not have you share this mud bath experience with strangers!)
It’s HOT. Very hot.
We assumed the British visitors had caught a little too much sun but we soon looked like red lobsters too! 40 minutes is plenty.
Take a quick turn under the warm shower to wash off the mud remnants, then it’s time to immerse yourselves in the therapeutic sulphur spa waters. Stay as long as you like.
The combo of mud and sulphur is said to give you silky smooth skin and wash away all your worries. The effects don’t stop when you get out either – expect to have smooth-as-a-baby’s-bottom skin for weeks afterwards! This is why we vote Hells Gate the best mud pools in Rotorua.
(You’ll smell like rotten eggs for weeks after too!)
Mud Masks & Mud Beauty Products for Home
Don’t leave Hells Gate Thermal Park without a stop in the onsite gift shop.
Buy their Alite brand of mud masks and mud beauty products to take home. It’s the ONLY place in Rotorua where you can buy authentic Rotorua mud masks with mud from Rotorua thermal pools. Prices start from $4.50 NZ for a 10ml mud mask sachet.
You can also buy Mud Beauty products including:
- Facial mud packs
- Mud body masks
- Body scrub and polish
- Mud, milk and honey soap
- Rotorua mud soap
- Body massage oil
- Body lotion
- Mud face scrub and polish
- Mud face mask
- Mud masks for men
- Mud mask for dry skin
Ask the staff about mud mask benefits.
Guided Tour of the Best Thermal Park in Rotorua
If you have time, we highly recommend booking the Hells Gate Special Combo package, and starting with a guided tour of the geothermal park first. This is one place you need the full experience. Learning all about the history and culture of the thermal pools and geysers (guy-sers, not geezers) in Rotorua adds to the Mud Spa experience.
Click the blue link to take a sneak peek and read all about our guided tour of the best geothermal park in Rotorua.
Maori Wood Carving Experience
As part of the guided tour, you can also try your hand at traditional Maori carving with a local Maori man. The boys LOVED that.
The fine grey mud used in the spa comes from the Sulphur Lake
The Inside Scoop – Mud Bath Rotorua
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: Hells Gate Rotorua Geothermal Park is located at State Highway 30, Tikitere, Rotorua. It’s Rotorua’s most active geothermal field and the best mud bath Rotorua has in town.
Telephone: 07 345 3151
Website: Click here
- Monday – Sunday
- 8.30am – 10.00pm (Summer 1 Oct – 2 Apr)
- 8.30am – 8.30pm (Winter 3 Apr – 30 Sep)
- Open daily except Christmas Day.
- Bookings are essential after 6:00pm
Current at time of writing. All fees in NZ dollars
Hells Gate Mud Spa Retreat:
- The Hells Gate Special Combo value package, which included entry to the park, Geothermal Walk guided tour, and a visit to the Mud bath and Sulphur spa, was tops. Cost is $90 per adult, $45 per child, or $215 for family of four (2A, 2C 5-15 years)
- Hells Gate Sulphur spa entry – $20 adult, $10 child, $50 family of four (2A, 2C 5-15 years)
- Mud bath and Sulphur spa entry – $75 adult, $35 child, $185 family of four (2A, 2C 5-15 years)
- You can also book a private mud bath and sulphur mineral pools spa if you choose
- Book here
Entry to Geothermal park extra. Click here for packages to include mud bath, spa and entry to park
Entry to Twilight Spa extra. Mud body scrub, Mud facials, Miri Miri Massage, and other therapies also available for additional fee.
Geothermal Park Entry without mud spa entry:
- Adults $35 NZ
- Child $17.50 NZ
- Family $85 NZ (2 adults, 2 kids aged 5-15 years)
- Kids 4 and under FREE
How to get there:
- By Car: Travel east from Rotorua on SH 30. Approximately 5 minutes past airport turn right toward Whakatane and proceed 3kms to Hells Gate.
Parking: Free parking out the front.
Map of Hells Gate Mud Spa Rotorua
Nearest takeaway coffee and/or food options: Cafe on site
Toilets: Yes, including baby change table.
Disability access: Yes
Closest ATM: Hells Gate has credit card and EFTPOS facilities.
Hells Gate Mud Bath Rotorua was last reviewed in September 2018
Toadstool Rating – Rotorua Mud Baths
The mud spa, along with the guided tour, tops the list of experiences we’ve enjoyed on family holidays in New Zealand to date.
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Rotorua New Zealand with Kids?
Click the links in blue below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Website Directory.