INSIDE: Napier Playground. 2018.
Even on a grey, wet and rainy day, we end up at a playground.
The kids are immune to wet weather – a sprinkle of rain, and a deluge are equally as fun.
So stopping the car for an adventure at the Napier Playground on Marine Parade was a no-brainer.
The pics might not be fabulous, but the equipment for all ages is!
- 1 Napier Playground on Marine Parade
- 2 Playground Equipment for 2-7 year olds
- 3 Playground Equipment for 7-12 year olds
- 4 More Photos of the Toddler Playground
- 5 More Photos of the Big Kids Playground
- 6 BYO Picnic or BBQ
- 7 Junior Bike Track Napier
- 8 Things to do in Napier with Kids
- 9 Toadstool Rating for Napier Seafront Playground
- 10 Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Napier Playground on Marine Parade
This ocean-front playground sits on prime beachfront land, and while Napier beach might not be swimmable, the water view is pretty. Best of all, the ENTIRE playground is fenced and gated to keep kids away from the water.
Napier playground is broken up into age zones, so you can keep everybody entertained but at a level of difficulty that suits them.
It means the big kids aren’t running all over the little kids, and that the small fries don’t annoy the teens.
It’s the BEST all-ages playground we’ve been to, for that reason.
New Zealand family holidays should include a visit to the Art Deco town of Napier – there’s fun things for everyone to enjoy.
Playground Equipment for 2-7 year olds
- A ocean-themed ship fort with slides and climbing zones
- A King of the Castle Fort with sand buckets for sandplay
- A Mud Play area where kids can dig and build to their delight
- A four-person round seesaw
- A row of toddler swings
Playground Equipment for 7-12 year olds
- A Monster Fort, with slippery dip, rock climbing walls, rope handles, ladders and a lookout. Challenging for everyone from 10+. This requires a big effort to get up top!
- A Rope Pyramid climbing structure
- Slide bars
- A ‘skurfer’ swing
- A hexagonal shaped rock climbing wall structure – this is tricky!
- Gym equipment
- Parkour-style play equipment
- A block of swings
- Spinning balance carousel
- A ‘sailboat’ to navigate
There’s rubber tiles on the floor throughout – a nice touch.
More Photos of the Toddler Playground
More Photos of the Big Kids Playground
BYO Picnic or BBQ
Despite the gloomy weather, there were other families enjoying picnics and bbqs at the playground. We’ve never seen so many undercover picnic tables, generously spaced out so you are not right on top of your neighbours.
Free electric BBQ’s sit under a shadesail on the outside the playground fence, with unobstructed views to the water. It’s the spot!
Junior Bike Track Napier
The playground isn’t the only fun thing for kids to do in Napier. On the other side of the playground, there’s a Junior Bike Track, with stop and go signs, where kids can learn about road rules.
There’s also bike path that runs along the entire stretch of foreshore too, throughout Napier, and heading towards Cape Kidnappers and Hastings.
Things to do in Napier with Kids
Along Napier foreshore on Marine Parade, there’s also:
- The National Aquarium of New Zealand
- Pania of the Reef Statue
- Sunken Gardens
- Ocean Spa – hot pools await!
Toadstool Rating for Napier Seafront Playground
Looking for More Things to Do in New Zealand for Kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.