INSIDE: Ipswich Nature Centre is a delightful surprise!
Pop Ipswich Nature Centre on your list of things to do in Ipswich. This place is a gem hidden in plain sight, and it’s FREE!
Ipswich Nature Centre
Lovingly landscaped with native flora, and beautifully maintained, Ipswich Nature Centre and Animal Refuge in Ipswich’s historical Queens Park has been operational for more than 80 years. The Queens Park Ipswich Nature Reserve has divine gardens, and a bunch of exhibits and displays that represent local bushland and it’s creatures.
Wander along timber boardwalks and meander through the centre, past exhibits featuring resident animals including wombats, water dragons, reptiles, wallabies, emus, quolls, a nocturnal bilby exhibit and dingos!
Don’t miss the walk-in walk-out rainforest bird aviary.
But our favourite thing was the farmyard barn with friendly lambs, cows, pigs, guinea pigs and goats!
Queens Park Ipswich Nature Centre
Queens Park Nature Centre in Ipswich is one of those places you skip when time is short, then when your friends rave about it, you wish you hadn’t.
Hot tips for visiting the Ipswich Nature Reserve:
- Please do not feed the animals
- Please do not picnic within the Nature Centre
- Please do not smoke within the Nature Centre
- Please do not enter any of the animal enclosures
- Please stay on the paths provided
- Wheelchair access friendly
- Children to be accompanied by an adult at all times
- No pets are allowed
Check out the Japanese Nerima Gardens nearby the Queens Park Animal Park.
Photos of Queens Park Animal Park Ipswich
The Inside Scoop – Ipswich Nature Park
Correct at time of publication. Please check with venue for updates. We apologise in advance if there have been any changes we are unaware of.
Address: The Ipswich Nature Reserve is located within Queens Park, Milford Street Ipswich. Alternative entrance: Goleby Avenue, Ipswich
Telephone: 07 3810 6666.
- 9.30am to 4pm Tuesday to Sunday
- Closed Mondays, Christmas Day and Good Friday
- Open 7 days during school holidays
Entry Fees: Free entry. Gold coin donation would be a wonderful help!
How to get there:
- By Bus: Daily bus connections are available from the Brisbane Transit Centre in Brisbane. For more information contact the centre on 3236 2020.
- By Car: The Ipswich Motorway links Ipswich to Brisbane. (approx 40 minutes). The Logan Motorway links Ipswich to the Gold Coast and Pacific Highway from New South Wales, along with the Gateway Motorway from Brisbane Airport and Sunshine Coast.
- By Train: The Brisbane Citytrain network provides regular connections from Ipswich to Brisbane and connections to the Gold and Sunshine Coast rail lines.
Parking: Free street parking
Map of Queens Park Nature Centre Ipswich
Closest food and drinks: Check out the Queens Park Cafe. This cafe is a local fave.
Toilets: Queens Park
Disability access: Yes
Shade: Trees provide some cover
The Queens Park Ipswich Nature Centre was last reviewed in October 2018
Toadstool Rating – Queens Park Ipswich Zoo
Allow an hour or so at the Queens Park Ipswich Zoo
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Brisbane with kids?
Click the blue links below.
Disclosure: If you book hotels or activities, or buy products through a link on Roam the Gnome, we may receive a small affiliate income.
Thank you for your support in helping us to grow this Family Travel Directory.