INSIDE: The ULTIMATE GUIDE on what to buy in Rome including the best Italy souvenirs. Updated 2019.
Looking for things to buy in Rome for souvenirs and gifts for friends and family?
Here’s the ultimate list of our ‘What to Buy in Rome’ shopping ideas.
- the best toys to buy in Rome (and our favourite dress up costume souvenir ever!)
- where to go leather shopping in Rome
- the best Italian food souvenirs to buy in Rome
- where to go clothes shopping in Rome
- the best market in Rome for handmade goods
- the best things to buy in Rome on a budget
We love to search for unique things to buy in Rome that you can’t buy anywhere else. We hope you might find it useful too.
Best of luck on your treasure hunt for the best Italy souvenirs!
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you book a product or service after clicking on one of these links, we may receive a small commission at NO extra cost to you.
- 1 Must Buy Rome Gift Ideas & Souvenirs for Kids
- 2 Your Questions about Shopping in Rome answered
- 3 No. 1: ROMAN GLADIATOR SUIT DRESS UP COSTUME
- 4 No. 2: PINOCCHIO TOYS ROME
- 5 No. 3: ITALIAN TOY BRANDS at Little Big Town Toy Shop in Rome
- 6 No. 4: Italy Souvenirs – BUTTERY SOFT LEATHER HANDBAGS & LEATHER PURSES
- 7 No. 5: Unique Gifts from Rome – FUN ITALIAN PASTA PACKETS to take home!
- 8 No. 6: THE BEST CHOCOLATE SHOPS IN ROME
- 9 No. 7: GOURMET FOOD SOUVENIRS FROM ROME
- 10 No.8: EATALY FOR MORE ROME FOOD SOUVENIRS
- 11 No. 9: STILO E STILE ITALIAN STATIONERY
- 12 No. 10: CERAMICA RAKU for cool things to buy in Rome
- 13 No.11: PRINTS FROM ROME – Ancient Rome Souvenirs
- 14 No.12: MERCATO MONTI URBAN MARKET for unique souvenirs from Rome
- 15 No.13: TREVIMAGE PHOTOGRAPHY – Unique Gifts from Rome
- 16 No. 14: ROMAN ANTIQUES & DESIGNER GOODS
- 17 No. 15: The Best ROME BOOKSHOP for the Book Lover
- 18 Shopping in Rome Italy off the beaten track
- 19 Find Unique Gifts to Buy in Rome
- 20 Shopping Rome – City Map for Italy Souvenirs
- 21 Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Rome?
- 22 Subscribe
- 23 Bookmark Roam the Gnome
Must Buy Rome Gift Ideas & Souvenirs for Kids
When travelling in Rome with kids, it’s highly likely that a big chunk of your souvenir shopping time will be limited to what you can see and do with kids in tow. That’s why these Rome souvenirs ideas are helpful. We will point you in the direction of the best shops in Rome to buy gifts for other family members, neighbours, and friends too.
We’ve included what we think is the best toy store in Rome for super cute mementos and keepsakes but just in case you fancy picking up a beautiful Italian leather handbag or two, we’ve included a link to our favourite Shopping Street in Rome too.
Your Questions about Shopping in Rome answered
We’ll try to answer your questions:
- What are good souvenirs from Rome?
- What is Rome famous for shopping?
- What souvenirs can I bring back from Italy?
- Where should I go shopping in Rome?
- Are shops closed in Rome on Sunday?
- The best Food souvenirs from Rome?
- What to Buy in Rome for Kids and Families
The only one we can’t answer is “What to buy in Rome Airport?”. We don’t know. But when you do, please let us know and we’ll add a section to the post.
The list of the Best Souvenirs from Rome starts below, in no particular order. But starting with my favourite!
No. 1: ROMAN GLADIATOR SUIT DRESS UP COSTUME
We spotted these plastic Gladiator Suits from time to time as we wandered the streets of Rome, but it wasn’t until after THIS amazing Gladiator Training experience that Ned decided he needed a Gladiator suit of his own.
At around 15 Euro, it wasn’t the cheapest souvenir we’ve ever bought, but it was definitely the most loved souvenir from this trip to Rome.
We’ve listed this Gladiator costume at the top of our things to buy in Rome for good reason- to this day, it sparks memories and conversations of that wonderful time of family adventure.
Hunting for souvenirs to buy in Rome for kids? Find a shop selling these.
Want to know where to find a gladiator dress up costume in Rome?
Our hot tip is to check out the Rome souvenir shops near the Vatican, and on the streets around Castel Sant’Angelo for the best prices on these Gladiator dress up costumes. There was a remarkable price difference in price for these Gladiator dress up costumes, and this area was the best and cheapest by far.
No. 2: PINOCCHIO TOYS ROME
There’s no way you can visit Rome without meeting at least one Pinocchio doll you can’t leave behind.
A wooden Pinocchio doll is the ultimate Italian souvenir for all ages. Everyone loves this little rascal.
We bought a personalised bedroom door sign with a Pinocchio doll on it from this Pinocchio store in Rome. I bought a large one and put both their names on it, as they shared a room. But silly me, it wasn’t long after we returned home that Jack moved into his own room. I should have bought two separate ones.
Despite this Rome souvenir shopping fail, this Pinocchio souvenir still rates as one of Ned and Jack’s best gifts from Rome, and is a lovely reminder every day of the wonderful trip we took to Rome.
There’s a reason why Pinocchio toys are popular souvenirs from Italy. They are so cute!
We loved this Pinocchio shop in Rome and as our AirBNB apartment was less than 50 metres away, we visited daily!
No. 3: ITALIAN TOY BRANDS at Little Big Town Toy Shop in Rome
At Little Big Town Toy Store, we recommend walking straight past the everyday brands of toys you can find in any good toy store, and seek out the range of Italian toy brands you can buy to take home.
Little Big Town stocks Italian toy brands including:
- Air Hedz
- Flitter Fairies
- Play Foam
- Magic tricks packs by Marvin Magic!
Italian Toys make unique gifts from Italy.
You can also find more Pinocchio toys at Little Big Town, as well as Pinocchio t shirts, posters, and Pinocchio souvenirs in Rome.
If you need Italy souvenirs solutions for a child back at home, stop by Little Big Town Rome toy shop. They stock some of the best things to buy in Italy for kids.
No. 4: Italy Souvenirs – BUTTERY SOFT LEATHER HANDBAGS & LEATHER PURSES
Looking for where to buy leather in Rome?
The best shopping in Rome for leather goods (including the best handbags in Rome) is on this street.
This street is the best place for affordable shopping in Rome on a budget too.
We stumbled upon this Rome shopping street accidentally, after many hours and days of searching long and hard for affordable or cheap leather handbags in Rome. (We didn’t find a Rome leather market anywhere, despite searching high and low.)
This spot has the best leather shops in Rome for leather handbags and leather products that we found, and we can’t wait to go back. If you are planning to buy leather goods in Rome too, don’t miss a visit to this street.
There’s so many unique Rome souvenirs ideas here too.
- Leather bags in Rome, of all shapes and sizes
- Leather gloves
- Leather shoes
- Leather wallets
- Leather purses
- Leather shoes
- More Rome Leather Goods such as Leather keyrings
Wondering what to buy in Rome for family and friends? Wonder no longer. Take home these Italy souvenirs for everyone in the family, young and old.
No. 5: Unique Gifts from Rome – FUN ITALIAN PASTA PACKETS to take home!
My kids couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw these bags of fun Italian pasta shaped as Disney Cars pasta.
At just over 4 EURO a packet, this Disney pasta was not your normal everyday pasta that’s for sure. Yikes!
But yep, these fun Rome food souvenirs went straight into the suitcase for the journey home.
No. 6: THE BEST CHOCOLATE SHOPS IN ROME
Continuing on the ‘Souvenirs you eat’ theme, a monster-sized jar of Italian Nutella wouldn’t go astray. (Nutella is an everyday food here!)
Nor would Italian chocolate.
If you are in a hurry, the Little Big Town Toy Store above has a wall of chocolate for sale on the ground floor near the counter, all wrapped up and ready to go. If you are really stuck for what to buy in Rome for a particular someone, I’m sure they’d be more than happy with this.
But if you really love chocolate, head to Venchi Italian chocolate shop.
Their specialities include:
- a salted white chocolate bar
- a unique orange peel chocolate bar
- hazelnut truffle
- their iconic milk chocolate bar with whole hazelnuts.
They have a range of boxed chocolates, chocolates in tins, and experiential kits that are filled with Venchi chocolates in different sizes including chocolate bars, chocolate spreads, chocolate snacks, and gianduia bars.
They sell dark chocolates, milk chocolates, chocolate truffles, pistachio chocolates, chocolates with hazelnuts and chocolate cigars.
Venchi chocolate is a must buy in Rome. Guaranteed a box of chocolates will be top of the list of the favourites souvenirs your bring back!
There’s three chocolate shops selling Venchi chocolates in Rome where you can try their Gelato too.
Addresses for Venchi Chocolate and Ice Cream
- Via del Corso, 335, Trevi Fountain 00186
- Rome Via Della Croce 25/26, Piazza di Spagna Rome 185.
- Rome Pantheon, Via degli Orfani, 87, Rome 186
There’s another one at Eataly (see below) so you could cross off two Rome souvenir shopping spots in one go.
No. 7: GOURMET FOOD SOUVENIRS FROM ROME
The best Rome food souvenirs can be found on shelves inside unassuming cafes and delicatessens in the city.
Buy up big on Italian pasta in all shapes and sizes, coffee, Italian sauces, olive oil, and rosy red tomato-fuelled pasta sauces.
Authentic food products are the best souvenirs from Italy for foodies.
- Address: Try Caffe Castroni – Via Ottaviano, 55, (Via Germanico) 00192 Rome.
- Open: daily.
No.8: EATALY FOR MORE ROME FOOD SOUVENIRS
Love food? Want to find more authentic Italian Rome food souvenirs to take home so you can cook all your Italian favourites. Visit this three-storey food supermarket to find every kind of Roman food souvenir including:
- rice and pasta products
- olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, spices, pasta sauces
- preserved foods including olives, capers, pickles, pate, sauces, pesto, cured meats
- sweet treats including biscuits, festive sweets, jams, cake mixes, muesli, cereals
- Italian sweets such as nougat and almond pastries, fruit pastilles, Leonsnella candies, liqourice
- red wine
Chocoholics will love their range of delicious Italian chocolate souvenirs.
Strangely, you can also buy soaps, detergents, cosmetics, washing up liquid and aloe vera juice if you want to buy quirky Italian souvenirs.
Eataly’s range of Italian food products are excellent souvenirs to bring home from Italy.
- Address: Piazzale XII Ottobre 1492, 00154
- Open: Daily, 9am to midnight.
- How to get there: Metro B – Piramide stop
No. 9: STILO E STILE ITALIAN STATIONERY
Do you adore Italian stationery? Then bookmark this shop.
Stilo e Stile Italian stationery store is home to my favourite stationery item in the world – letter seals and lacquer wax.
But there’s so much more:
- fountain pens and ball point pens by Italian company Montegrappa
- Aurora fountain pens and roller pens, inks and cartridges
- Delta Srl writing instruments
- Mechanical pencils
- Vespa branded cases, wall clocks, key rings, enamel pins, and Vespa alarm clocks
- Leather pen holders
- Calligraphy pens and accessories
They also stock Midori Traveler’s notebooks.
The Hemisferium vintage scientific instruments including solar clock compasses, and perpetual calendars are the perfect Roman souvenir gift for that hard-to-buy person.
- Address: Via Galila 101a, Roma Lazio
- Open: Monday to Saturday. 9am to 1pm, and 4pm to 5.30pm.
No. 10: CERAMICA RAKU for cool things to buy in Rome
Ceramica Raku (also known as RAKU Ceramic Center Rome Arts Crafts) sells handmade, one-of-a-kind ceramic pendulum clocks, ceramic watches, and ornaments.
Raku is a particular style of ceramics, where pieces are painted with raku colors including oxides and glazes.
Pop by the shop to buy a unique piece of Rome you’ll love forever.
- Address: Located on Via dei Pastini 20, 00186 Rome, Italy
- Telephone: + 39-06-6787682
No.11: PRINTS FROM ROME – Ancient Rome Souvenirs
This is the place to buy a memorable quality souvenir of your time in Rome. Prints from Rome sell original Antique prints of Rome, and modern limited edition etchings and antique engravings, in both black and white, and sepia tones.
You will find reproductions of famous Rome illustrations that feature drawings of ancient historical buildings and the architecture of famous Rome locations including the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Capitol, the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, and Piazza Navona.
You can find sketches of botanicals, flowers, animals, Pinocchio, vespas, Italian breakfasts, Fiat cars, hand painted Lambretta and wasp scooters, and Madonnas in this unique shop near the Piazza Navona. Plus, Roman souvenirs for every budget including calendars, greeting cards, guides and photo books of Rome.
Plus bronze statues, ornamental busts of Roman leaders, Roman Centurion helmets and Gladiator helmets, and a tonne of maps to frame!
Opened in 1975, the Prints from Rome shop continues to be run by the owner and his daughter.
- Address: Via Della Cuccagna 19, 00186 Rome
- Telephone: +39 06 6875822
- Open: 10am to 7.30pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/printsfromrome/
No.12: MERCATO MONTI URBAN MARKET for unique souvenirs from Rome
This Roman market a few steps from the Colosseum is the ideal place to collect beautiful, unusual handmade things from Rome designers including bags, jewellery, Rome fashion, accessories, perfume, skincare, art prints, illustrations, artworks, footwear, dresses, brooches, ring stands, leather wallets, purses, and quirky ornaments. This is the place to find the best gifts from Rome.
If you want to go clothes shopping in Rome or want to find the best handbags in Rome made by local craftspeople, pop it on your Rome itinerary.
Meet the designers, talk to the shop keepers, and support local talent in this market. It’s the place to be if you are a young Italian fashion designer, or a lover of vintage style, so the people-watching is on point too.
Keep up to date with the latest news on designers, features on artists, new stallholders, upcoming events and more on Facebook.
- Address: Via Leonina 46, Rione Monti – Rome . conference hall of the Grand Hotel Palatino
- Open: Saturday and Sunday, 10.00am – 8.00pm. All weekends from September to July.
- Entry: Free admission.
- How to get there: Metro B stop Cavour. Buses 117 Via dei Serpenti , 75 Via Cavour- 70, 64, 60, 40 Via Nazionale
Image credit – Pixabay
No.13: TREVIMAGE PHOTOGRAPHY – Unique Gifts from Rome
Want to find awesome photography prints of Rome to take home for your living room walls? This is the place to find high resolution photography of Roman historial sites, and you’ll find it just near the Trevi fountain.
Trevimage sells everything from magnets and small frames, right up to giant sized prints for the biggest rooms in the house, and all at reasonable prices.
Carlo de Gori is the man behind the camera, and he loves to share stories about his Rome with anyone who comes in through the door.
- Address: via degli avignonesi 29/a (Via del tritone), 00187 Roma Lazio, Rome.
- Open: Monday to Saturday 10am to 8pm
- Website: https://www.carlodegori.com/
No. 14: ROMAN ANTIQUES & DESIGNER GOODS
Via dei Coronari is the picturesque spot in Rome to find all the best antique stores in one narrow laneway. Tucked away behind Piazza Navona, we suggest you take a wander for the sheer charm of it! Ancient cobblestones, window shopping, fashion – it’s a romantic stroll done a peaceful historical street reminiscent of old Rome.
The street is named for the rosary beads (“corone” in Italian) that visitors bought from the shops on the street on their way to the Vatican to visit St. Peter’s Tomb.
There’s a bunch of pizzerias, gelaterias, and souvenir shops en route too.
No. 15: The Best ROME BOOKSHOP for the Book Lover
- Address: Via del Governo Vecchio, 82, 00186 Rome.
- Website: Click here
Shopping in Rome Italy off the beaten track
If you are looking for Italy souvenirs, we suggest digging a little deeper than the main shopping streets in Rome (Via Del Tritone, Via Del Corso) and walking the back streets. It’s our tip for finding awesome souvenirs to buy in Rome too.
Our explorations on foot near the Vatican led us straight to the souvenir shop where we bought Ned’s plastic gladiator training suit at half the price we’d seen earlier. And we would never have found the little Pinocchio shop hidden on a back lane without our relaxed meandering.
Find Unique Gifts to Buy in Rome
Wandering the backstreets of Rome is the best way to find the best souvenirs from Rome that you’ve not seen elsewhere.
Avoid sticking only to the multinational stores on the main road.
The best treasures are tucked away where rents are cheaper.
Shopping Rome – City Map for Italy Souvenirs
Looking for MORE SUPER DOOPER FUN things to do in Rome?
Click the links in blue below.
Bookmark Roam the Gnome
This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a booking or purchase after clicking on one of these links on Roam the Gnome™, we may receive a small affiliate commission at NO extra cost to you.
Roam the Gnome™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Thank you in advance for your support in helping us to grow Roam the Gnome Family Travel™ Website Directory